Media storage

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel John

I'm looking to rearrange my CDs (600), LPs and other media into separate shelving units. Just wondering how others maintain their collections.
Do you store you SACDs (stereo, quad and multichannel) and other surround media (DVD-A, Blu-ray audio) with your regular CDs in alpha order by artist? Or do you keep regular CDs separate from your surround content? What about genres? Do you mix your jazz, rock and classical? :mad:@:

I'm looking to rearrange my CDs (600), LPs and other media into separate shelving units. Just wondering how others maintain their collections.
Do you store you SACDs (stereo, quad and multichannel) and other surround media (DVD-A, Blu-ray audio) with your regular CDs in alpha order by artist? Or do you keep regular CDs separate from your surround content? What about genres? Do you mix your jazz, rock and classical? :mad:@:
I store them randomly in boxes in the basement after ripping them. That way, I can access them instantaneously by any parameter I choose.

All of mine are separated by format. CD. SA-CD. DVD-A. BluRay Audio, in now defunct Ikea Benno shelving. LP's in a different area.

All in order by artist and then release date.

Holy smokes. I just noticed that next month will be 10 years with this family.

binders.jpg
My pathetic collection.

Collection.jpg

I use oak shelves for all of my media - mostly bought from a national chain called Oak Express. They are pretty sturdy. Because of the short height of the jewel case be sure to negotiate buying extra shelf pieces (above what is included) before completing the sale. I use 9 shelf pieces in each 6 foot unit.

I keep my surround segregated from stereo-only music, so I know what I am reaching for. I have two categories: rock, and Jazz/Classical. Most of my surround listening is rock.

I also do another oddball thing: for fan decodes which are burned to digital media I go out and buy the official CD and when I get it home I pop out the single tray and insert a dual CD insert. Then I have the official stereo redbook CD on the back side of the double insert and the decoded quad burn on the outer (and most readily accessible) side of the insert. I actually keep these burns segregated from the others and all together by alphabet.

Box sets are scattered all over the place depending on size and where they fit.

The real key is devising a system by which you can find the disc you want when you want it. A digital solution would be great for me but I have not had the time to cobble together such a system. That might make a nice retirement project (in 10 to 20 years).

Good luck!

I store mine (~1200 discs) under my bed, in boxes. I leave a few of my favorites in my living room for show. I got rid of 99% my vinyl after keeping it until 2014 or so, for no particularly good reason. All the bits are on a Synology NAS, backed up on a tiny WD My Passport, and transcoded by Google on their free cloud "locker" (Google Music) for in-car use. I have stuff set up so I don't have to turn on a screen to play music. I run Yatse on my phone and Kodi on my media player (an Intel NUC). It may not be for everyone, but it certainly works for me.

All my audio digital disc media are ripped to hard drive(s), played and displayed via laptop+foobar2k--> AVR

I trashed all the plastic CD cases, everything is now in sleeves in a couple of drawers. (booklets and liners too) That saves a large amount of space.

'hi rez' stuff kept separate, with packaging intact, since the packaging tends to be nonstandard. Same for boxed CD sets.

LPs -- in a crate, in the basement. I'm immune to the vinyl fad, living through the 70s vaccinated me against its 'charms',

genres: classical on its own, everything else mixed together.

I separate my regular CDs away from the SACDs. They are separated by genres, and then by artist, ordered chronologically based on original released date. The only SACDs grouped separately are the Sony/BMG Living Stereo SACDs.

Some members here know that I have a seperate SACD collection of Hong Kong pop and Japanese pop music. Those are separated from the Western SACDs. I know...."SACD apartheid".

Back