Should Santana be Sony Japan's Next SACD Surround Series?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Following on the release of four Jeff Beck Multichannel SACDs in Japan over the last year (and "Blow by Blow" in 2014), if there ever was a reason for Sony in Japan to start doing the same thing for Santana, it's because Santana are embarking on their first Japanese tour since 2013 in April.

Dates listed on their website: http://www.santana.com

For a first release, I would hope for either "Santana's Greatest Hits" or "Santana (I)"

:)

For a first release, I would hope for either "Santana's Greatest Hits" or "Santana (I)"

That would be a fab way of starting with a bang. I'd be in for any Quad Santana titles. :)

Following on the release of four Jeff Beck Multichannel SACDs in Japan over the last year (and "Blow by Blow" in 2014), if there ever was a reason for Sony in Japan to start doing the same thing for Santana, it's because Santana are embarking on their first Japanese tour since 2013 in April.

Dates listed on their website: http://www.santana.com

I would tend to be more greedy. Santana is well deserving of the Chicago Quadio boxset treatment with ALL of their considerable QUAD masters [including collaborations with Alice Coltrane, Buddy Miles and John McLaughlin] DSD mastered from the original Quad analogue tapes contained in a sturdy box with all the individual titles encased in Mini LP Sleeves.

Now, wouldn't THAT be a cause for celebration? :banana:

I would tend to be more greedy. Santana is well deserving of the Chicago Quadio boxset treatment with ALL of their considerable QUAD masters [including collaborations with Alice Coltrane, Buddy Miles and John McLaughlin] DSD mastered from the original Quad analogue tapes contained in a sturdy box with all the individual titles encased in Mini LP Sleeves.

Now, wouldn't THAT be a cause for celebration? :banana:

If such a box set were released in Japan, it would be super expensive! :yikes

If such a box set were released in Japan, it would be super expensive! :yikes

But consider the option a la the Jeff Beck Japanese SACD releases. One SACD approximately every four or five months priced at $44 each and considering the shear amount of Santana QUADS in the vault even a more costly proposition.

And that's even assuming that SONY Japan has any intentions of releasing the Santana QUADs. IMO, Santana has been one of Columbia Records largest acts and certainly deserves a hi res physical disc boxset and what better way.............

And don't get me wrong. I greatly admire the elaborate way the Japanese Beck SACDs have been mounted but in the end it's the music that counts and dispensing with the ornate packaging could potentially reduce the cost of the set.

Certainly hope it's not a 'pipe dream.' Those prolonged vaulted QUAD masters deserve to be heard!

But consider the option a la the Jeff Beck Japanese SACD releases. One SACD approximately every four or five months priced at $44 each and considering the shear amount of Santana QUADS in the vault even a more costly proposition.

And that's even assuming that SONY Japan has any intentions of releasing the Santana QUADs. IMO, Santana has been one of Columbia Records largest acts and certainly deserves a hi res physical disc boxset and what better way.............

And don't get me wrong. I greatly admire the elaborate way the Japanese Beck SACDs have been mounted but in the end it's the music that counts and dispensing with the ornate packaging could potentially reduce the cost of the set.

Certainly hope it's not a 'pipe dream.' Those prolonged vaulted QUAD masters deserve to be heard!

Well with the exception of the Jeff Beck SACDs in Japan, it seems like Sony has no intention of reissuing Quadraphonic material themselves (i.e. without the help of a reissue label like AF or DV) but then again the Chicago box set from Rhino did sneak up on us out of nowhere, so like I always say, "Hope Springs Eternal!" :)

That's always a possibility if the artist/band and the record label agree.
Since the Jeff Beck Surround SACD remasters are in support of a tour in Japan by Jeff Beck, and if Santana is planning a 2017 tour in Japan, who knows.... ?

I already have all their quad releases and I would be first one in line for a Quadio box set.:banana::banana::banana:

I already have all their quad releases and I would be first one in line for a Quadio box set.:banana::banana::banana:

And I'd be right behind you along with LEGIONS of other Santana Quadrophiles.

And if ANYONE can pull it off, it will surely be SONY JAPAN. Their Jeff Beck QUAD reissues are nothing short of extraordinary!

One influential factor can be the artist getting behind the project. If Carlos Santana could get messages from fans about this.....maybe...maybe...

Just so we're all on the same page here, QUADIO is a Rhino/Warner initiative, and Santana are NOT on that label.
The Japanese SACD route (while very expensive) seems to be the only plausible path forward at this time.

Back