Roger Waters - Is this the life we really want?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well my ear can't hear that [!!]
But: The more points there is used to render a soundcurve the better sound!

This is just audiophile talk from people who do not understand digital audio and have never heard of a reconstruction filter. But hey, everybody needs a hobby.

No hate... just disappointment. To me, this seriously sounds like a lazy album... the music is derivative of his past stuff, and the keyboards and guitar work that I've enjoyed from past Waters and Floyd albums just isn't there. Maybe I've been spoiled by Amused to Death (which I just discovered with the multichannel release) and all the recent Floyd re-issues. I'm not sure what his message is, but he sure seems angry (of course, that's nothing new)... I usually have to enjoy the music before I start delving into the lyrics. Nothing about this album is epic (IMO).

Anyway, I've got tickets to his show in L.A., so I'm just hoping he keeps the new material to a minimum (this might be my son's only chance to see some live Floyd by an original member!)

By the way, snood won the CD!:banana:

Man complains that artist reminds him of artist. Congratulations Snood...you're about to receive a gem of a primer for Waters' latest worldwide tour.

Lazy...indeed.

Man complains that artist reminds him of artist. Congratulations Snood...you're about to receive a gem of a primer for Waters' latest worldwide tour.

Lazy...indeed.

Looks like about 5 out of the 24 songs played are off the new album, so I'm happy! Also, 4 of those are played back to back... perfect bathroom break;)

"Reminds" is a bit misleading... some of these songs are almost copies of past floyd songs (you seriously don't hear that?)

Indeed.

Looks like about 5 out of the 24 songs played are off the new album, so I'm happy! Also, 4 of those are played back to back... perfect bathroom break;)

"Reminds" is a bit misleading... some of these songs are almost copies of past floyd songs (you seriously don't hear that?)

Indeed.

With that logic, why even go to the show? You've clearly heard 24\24 of the setlist before....

With that logic, why even go to the show? You've clearly heard 24\24 of the setlist before....

Aside from the 5 songs off the new album, the rest are classic Floyd:banana:... and at least on the Floyd stuff, I know Dave Kilminster will get a good work-out!

I appreciate Rogers previous work, really... this new album just doesn't work for me.

Aside from the 5 songs off the new album, the rest are classic Floyd:banana:... and at least on the Floyd stuff, I know Dave Kilminster will get a good work-out!

I appreciate Rogers previous work, really... this new album just doesn't work for me.

I took a look at the set list. I find it odd that the only solo tracks he is doing come from the new album. No ATD, KAOS, or Pros & Cons?

I've been listening to this on Amazon Prime and I'm liking it a lot more than I expected I would.

Too bad it's not in 5.1.

Just a shame there is no Blu'ray release (yet), so meanwhile I have recorded the LP and have seen frequenses up to 60 kHz -
Nevermore will I buy a CD!

Apparently a lot of vinyl is cut (full speed) with an upper frequency limit of 15kHz to save excess cutter head wear. So with 60kHz it looks like system noise at the digitising end or the album was cut at 1/4 speed, which seems unlikely.

Well I guess I'll find out how good this really is pretty soon. I ordered it along with the Pepper box. It shipped today. With Waters stuff I always need to sit down and listen closely with a lyric sheet in hand in order to appreciate it.

I'm not sure about the relevance theory for omitting the other solo projects from the tour stops. I do think ATD is still relevant and Pros & Cons isn't really political at all. KAOS is a nuclear war saga. Has that gone away?

More likely he wants to promote the new album as much as possible and felt the classic PF selections were better than any of the other solo work. In every Waters show I've seen where he was promoting a new album he always performed the new album in its entirety. For KAOS it was mixed with classic PF selections and they were presented as part of the KAOS radio show. For Pros & Cons he performed it as the first of two sets with classic PF selections making up the second set, IIRC.

Here is the set list. Looks like all of DSOTM is there. The oldest he gets into the back catalog is "One of these Days".

Speak to Me
Breathe
One of These Days
Time
Breathe (Reprise)
The Great Gig in the Sky
Welcome to the Machine
When We Were Young
Déjà Vu
The Last Refugee
Picture That
Wish You Were Here
The Happiest Days of Our Lives
Another Brick in the Wall Part 2
Another Brick in the Wall Part 3
Dogs
Pigs (Three Different Ones)
Money
Us and Them
Smell the Roses
Brain Damage
Eclipse

Well I guess I'll find out how good this really is pretty soon. I ordered it along with the Pepper box. It shipped today. With Waters stuff I always need to sit down and listen closely with a lyric sheet in hand in order to appreciate it.

I'm not sure about the relevance theory for omitting the other solo projects from the tour stops. I do think ATD is still relevant and Pros & Cons isn't really political at all. KAOS is a nuclear war saga. Has that gone away?

More likely he wants to promote the new album as much as possible and felt the classic PF selections were better than any of the other solo work. In every Waters show I've seen where he was promoting a new album he always performed the new album in its entirety. For KAOS it was mixed with classic PF selections and they were presented as part of the KAOS radio show. For Pros & Cons he performed it as the first of two sets with classic PF selections making up the second set, IIRC.
I hope you'll like it. I've had the record for like 10 days and it didn't start growing on me until I listed to it on vinyl. Believe it or not, but there's a huge sonic difference between the CD or 24/48 file and the vinyl. The mix is quite bad but at least the compression is not annoying.
I still don't dare to write a review (one week ago I would have been part of the haters) but I can say that it's getting better and better with each new listen

Just played the CD in the car. Musically it's very much like many Pink Floyd songs, what I found not so easy was the incredible anger he portrayed, most songs about war 'again' similar to The Final Cut. Not a CD to play in car.

Just played the CD in the car. Musically it's very much like many Pink Floyd songs, what I found not so easy was the incredible anger he portrayed, most songs about war 'again' similar to The Final Cut. Not a CD to play in car.
I had the same experience and feeling. I always listen to CD's in car, but this one never again. However I am looking forward to a listen on the home machine as I hope to have a better experience.

Listened to the CD on my Main system last night through my Reference Meridian 808 RBCD/DVD~A stereo player and was wowed by the magnitude of the recording. Thought it was one of those Q~encoded RBCDs as it really filled up the space with some incredible sonics. But then I fell asleep.

Sorry, Roger and company.

But my initial reaction was pretty positive. I won't fall asleep during my next listening session.

It's really been a rough week for me, work wise.

Listened to the CD on my Main system last night through my Reference Meridian 808 RBCD/DVD~A stereo player and was wowed by the magnitude of the recording. Thought it was one of those Q~encoded RBCDs as it really filled up the space with some incredible sonics. But then I fell asleep.

Sorry, Roger and company.

But my initial reaction was pretty positive. I won't fall asleep during my next listening session.

It's really been a rough week for me, work wise.
Sorry to hear a rough week Ralph, any vacations coming up? They always help. Listened to this disc, ripped, and ran though the big machine's DAC and way better than in the car.

Back