Roger Waters - Is this the life we really want?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the new album comes out, hopefully he will give his lyrics a universal theme. That's where his strenght in lyric writing is IMO. Don't like the more specific things, and definately not going to buy a concert thicket for €75,00 to be told by the artists that I am stupid, ignorant and what not just because he found a new political toy to play with.

He Rog, go tell the Mexicans to stop building that wall on their south border.

Bought the Waters tix today for Toronto, 1st show. Lower levels about $130 USD each. I have a feeling they are going fast. I couldn't even get 4 in the same row.

I bought tickets for the two Toronto dates too. Floor tickets for the 1st show and lower level for the 2nd date. I was able to get them yesterday using a code from a local radio station.
Pink Floyd is my favorite band. I'm not a great fan of Roger's solo stuff, but I wouldn't miss this tour.
I have seen Roger Waters on 3 different tours multiple times and I saw David Gilmour for the first time on his last tour (twice). Roger might have been the brains and "the creative genius" of Pink Floyd, but I got a very different and positive vibe at the David Gilmour concerts. He is/was the soul of the band.
To me, Pink Floyd was definitely a sum of its parts no matter what the song credits say.

I have seen Roger Waters on 3 different tours multiple times and I saw David Gilmour for the first time on his last tour (twice). Roger might have been the brains and "the creative genius" of Pink Floyd, but I got a very different and positive vibe at the David Gilmour concerts. He is/was the soul of the band.
To me, Pink Floyd was definitely a sum of its parts no matter what the song credits say.

I think Waters has done 5 tours in all, and I have seen each one: Pros and Cons, KAOS, In the Flesh, and the Wall (twice). I also saw Gilmour on the last tour in the AC center. They were all pretty good shows, and I agree with your take on it. Waters always seems more theatrical, and Gilmour always seems more musical. I also got to see the post-Waters era Pulse tour when it hit Toronto in the old CNE stadium. That was pretty phenomenal. The greatest rock show I ever attended.

Water may have done 6 tours then. In the Flesh was around 2000 (I remember because I missed free tickets to see him that summer), and then there was the Dark Side of the Moon tour before The Wall tour, and I managed to see him on both of those tours.

I would love to see Gilmour too, but he tours far less, to far fewer places, and is crazy expensive. Would have loved to see the final Floyd line-up, but I was only a junior in high school when the Division Bell tour took place.

Water may have done 6 tours then. In the Flesh was around 2000 (I remember because I missed free tickets to see him that summer), and then there was the Dark Side of the Moon tour before The Wall tour, and I managed to see him on both of those tours.

I would love to see Gilmour too, but he tours far less, to far fewer places, and is crazy expensive. Would have loved to see the final Floyd line-up, but I was only a junior in high school when the Division Bell tour took place.

Wow you are right. I forgot about the Dark Side Tour. And I saw that one as well, But for the life of me I cant remember the venue. I do recall not being impressed with Waters Dark side material because Gilmour, Wright and Mason also performed it on the PF tour, and that performance was pretty phenomenal.

For what its worth, Toronto ticket prices for the last Gilmour tour and the upcoming Waters tour cost about the same. And you are also correct about Gilmour touring less, at least in North America. I've attended every North American tour by both performers and the score is 6 for Waters (not including the one next year) and only 3 for Gilmour (one as PF).

EDIT: It was buggin me so I tried to look it up. I knew there was one that I had to travel to Ohio for (Cleveland or Columbus area?), and it was either the Dark Side tour or the Flesh tour. If I recall, both of them were at outdoor venues, and all the rest were indoor arena shows in Buffalo NY, or Toronto. Unfortunately looking it up didn't help as both the Dark Side and the Flesh tours stopped in both Buffalo and Ohio. Maybe I need to start writing this stuff down.

It does seem a bit ironic that Waters, who's feelings of alienation and disrespect toward his fans is what inspired The Wall, has the busier touring schedule.

I was 15 when my older brother took me to see Pink Floyd on the tour of 94. And that concert blow my mind. One of the best I have ever seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gents, new album with short teaser formally announced at rogerwaters.com
In a previous interview for ATD in surround launch, Roger said he thought his new album in 5.1 will sound great, so fingers crossed for it to become reality.
No release date yet, just "coming soon"

[video=youtube;nTZTaeJ3Ndo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTZTaeJ3Ndo[/video]

Isn't it the only new material in the last 20 years? Or did I miss something?
And opera and four of five new songs (leaving Beirut, to kill the child, hello I love you, each small candle, the ballad of Jean Charles de menezes, clear crystal Brooks...)
Not too prolific anyways

And opera and four of five new songs (leaving Beirut, to kill the child, hello I love you, each small candle, the ballad of Jean Charles de menezes, clear crystal Brooks...)
Not too prolific anyways

Other than the opera, which I don't care for, did the others get a formal release? Are they on disc?

The first three were issued as singles, each small candle appears on a best of, the ballad in the last live iteration of the wall and Brooks will likely appear on the new record

The first three were issued as singles, each small candle appears on a best of, the ballad in the last live iteration of the wall and Brooks will likely appear on the new record
I was forgetting about flickering flame and lost boys calling, both appearing on flickering flame compilation together with each small candle.
Lost boys calling is a good song with a nice eddie van Halen solo (if my memory is not failing), but the solo was cut from this release

He could (and hopefully will sometime down the road) release a compilation of all his studio recordings between ATD and this new record.

Nigel Godrich is producing this record, and the clip released sounds more like Radiohead than anything Roger's ever done, so this could be quite different which could be good. Has Godrich ever produced anything in 5.1? I would imagine that whether or not this is released in surround will be as much to his discretion as the artist.

He could (and hopefully will sometime down the road) release a compilation of all his studio recordings between ATD and this new record.

Nigel Godrich is producing this record, and the clip released sounds more like Radiohead than anything Roger's ever done, so this could be quite different which could be good. Has Godrich ever produced anything in 5.1? I would imagine that whether or not this is released in surround will be as much to his discretion as the artist.
Someone must have had that idea before, as the first compilation is called Flickering Flame - The Solo Years Volume I !

Back