Roger Waters - Is this the life we really want?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Add me to the list hoping for a 5.1 release for "Is This The Life We Really Want?". I wasn't overly impressed (or overly letdown either) with the first peak at the new album (Smell The Roses), but the new sneak listen "Deja Vu" is more encouraging to me. He's hitting all the Floydian heart strings, so I think he's made a concerted effort to reach back and grab some of the old magic. Not that I don't like his solo albums to date, on the contrary. Amused To Death remains my favorite of his solo albums and seeing Pros and Cons and Radio KAOS in concert were both great experiences. Maybe someday both of those studio albums will get the 5.1 treatment as well. For that matter, "Pink Floyd's" The Final Cut (quotes intended) would benefit greatly as well. It's been said 100's of times already, but, The Wall getting a 5.1 remix is way overdue. Mr. Guthrie and Mr. Waters please?? It's probably done and just waiting in the wings (of Pigs). Oh yeah, and Animals too. Before we all get too old (or worse) please? :smokin

Another new song: https://youtu.be/gf7kMaurLZk (Deja Vu)
And as performed on Colbert last night: https://youtu.be/r3YlyE58LAk

Bill

I wouldn't be surprised if Roger had struck a deal with Analogue Productions for the release of a 5.1 SACD similar to the one that was released for Amused to Death.

The fact that no Blu-Ray 5.1 version has been announced seems to indicate that if this was indeed the case, Analogue Productions' SACD would likely sell more copies. I personally this is how it will play out.

People, if there really was a 5.1 surround mix for Roger's new record, don't you think it would already be amongst the previously announced formats?
The fact that it isn't tells me that it won't happen.
Let's face it. Roger just cares about 5.1 surround when it comes to albums that people have already bought before…

If the album sounds anything like the song he performed on Colbert, I won't be purchasing at all. David Gilmore's last solo outing is better than anything Waters ever did. And I really like Waters solo stuff. But, not as much as Pink Floyd overall.

I like both songs so far and the performance on Colbert was epic. Not getting my hopes up on a 5.1 mix in this decade.

Another new song has just premiered:
[video=youtube;_XdLNqWYgGI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XdLNqWYgGI[/video]

:)

I’m so glad this album wasn’t released in surround sound. Yes, you heard me right… never thought I’d utter the words. But if it HAD been released in surround, I would have bought it, of course, for at least twice what I paid for the CD, and I would have been stuck with a boring retread of every other Roger Waters/Pink Floyd album that’s come before (except there are NO guitar solos on the entire album). I kid you not… every song on the album sounds like a copy of another Roger Waters song. Even the sound effects are the same (ticking clocks, muttering voices, breaking glass, jet plane fly-over, television sounds between songs).The drummer does a good job imitating Nick Mason… too bad Roger didn’t find someone to copy David Gilmore. I don’t mind artists copying themselves if it’s good (AC/DC has made a career of it and I still find songs to love on every album), but in this case it’s just boring. There’s also lots of foul language throughout, which can be effective when used sparingly, but I guess Roger is just so mad at the world that he couldn’t hold back and went overboard. After listening to this, I had the same feeling as I did when I first heard “St. Anger” by Metallica… “where are the guitar solos and who can I give this CD away to?”. First person to PM me with an address is the winner (I'll even pay the postage!)

...And the hate for RW spreads to the QQ forum.

I like the album a lot. I don't look for reasons not to enjoy the music. He still has an attitude and he makes his point brilliantly.
Bird in a Gale is epic. One weak song, The Most Beautiful Girl, but it will probably grow on me. The album upmixes nicely to 5.1 using SpecWeb.

I like it too!! Great album!

Yeah.... miss some nice solos, but well (they are on the Gilmours solos:D)

Just a shame there is no Blu'ray release (yet), so meanwhile I have recorded the LP and have seen frequenses up to 60 kHz -
Nevermore will I buy a CD!
A spectrum of 96kHz sampling:
ITTLWR96kHz.png

192kHs sampling:
ITTLWR192kHz.png
Without music you can see my system generate noise at 62 and 92 kHz (So I took the 96 kHz sampling)
NoLP192kHz.png

I like it too!! Great album!

Yeah.... miss some nice solos, but well (they are on the Gilmours solos:D)

Just a shame there is no Blu'ray release (yet), so meanwhile I have recorded the LP and have seen frequenses up to 60 kHz -
Nevermore will I buy a CD!

Do you have dog hearing? How do you know that those ultrasonics are from the music and not the recording or mastering equipment?

I like the album a lot. I don't look for reasons not to enjoy the music. He still has an attitude and he makes his point brilliantly.
Bird in a Gale is epic. One weak song, The Most Beautiful Girl, but it will probably grow on me. The album upmixes nicely to 5.1 using SpecWeb.

LOL! I don't think he hates RW. I mean, he liked him enough to buy it in the first place....which is more than I did. Sounds like he hates the songs....oh and some of the political agenda. (which, by the way doesn't matter to me as I typically don't pay much attention to lyrics)

No hate... just disappointment. To me, this seriously sounds like a lazy album... the music is derivative of his past stuff, and the keyboards and guitar work that I've enjoyed from past Waters and Floyd albums just isn't there. Maybe I've been spoiled by Amused to Death (which I just discovered with the multichannel release) and all the recent Floyd re-issues. I'm not sure what his message is, but he sure seems angry (of course, that's nothing new)... I usually have to enjoy the music before I start delving into the lyrics. Nothing about this album is epic (IMO).

Anyway, I've got tickets to his show in L.A., so I'm just hoping he keeps the new material to a minimum (this might be my son's only chance to see some live Floyd by an original member!)

By the way, snood won the CD!:banana:

Do you have dog hearing? How do you know that those ultrasonics are from the music and not the recording or mastering equipment?

Well my ear can't hear that but my sculls can maybe sense some of it;)
But as usual: The more points there is used to render a soundcurve the better sound!
So 96-24 is just a lot better that a CD's 44-16 :phones

Back