Roger Waters - Is this the life we really want?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, but that was more a "greatest hits" compilation, including material from the other solo albums. I'm talking about a more "odds & sods" collection.

New clip, fantastic teaser! Now I have higher hopes for the album (although I'm a bit suspicious of not having listened to any snippet of Roger singing yet)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1340135826030219&id=101052049938609

That is excellent! To me, this feels like a return to his Pros and Cons days. It's my favourite album of his so I seriously hope that we're getting something in the same vein and with a 5.1 mix.

It may be premature to do so, but I'm going into full Snood mode here. :D

:banana: :cool: :music (y) :banana: :cool: :music (y) :banana: :cool: :music (y)

Last edited:
Please, can somebody share this video from facebook? I don't have an account there so I can't watch it.:mad:

Please, can somebody share this video from facebook? I don't have an account there so I can't watch it.:mad:

I can do better than that... ;)

[video=youtube;ZMzgoEgNj50]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMzgoEgNj50[/video]

I heard an advertisement today for Roger Waters concerts coming to Los Angeles that they will be "in Quad".

I'm really looking forward to both the new album (hopefully in 5.1) and the tour. Rog may be a cantankerous old sod, but he sure has written some great music and the other tours of his I've seen have all been great.

K

I heard an advertisement today for Roger Waters concerts coming to Los Angeles that they will be "in Quad".

Yep, AFAIK, all of Roger Waters' tours since 1999 have been mixed in Quadraphonic surround sound.
The live Quadraphonic mix at the Wall shows was the best live sound I have ever heard, so I'm expecting nothing but the best sound out of Roger's new tour.

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a real opportunity here to do something striking with the mix with the initial release now that HD and surround sound formats have matured.

Imagine if Amused To Death could have hit the world in the form of the 5.1 remix. The cinematic presentation there really adds to it and makes it stand up as a more complete and unique album as a whole. I'm not suggesting that suddenly puts it at the level of Animals or anything like that (IMHO). Just that it was obviously an intentional element of the overall presentation and it was initially released with that element stepped on by the then current level of technology with release formats.

Pretty different music, but the same experience is true with King Crimson THRAK. If the world could have been hit over the head with the 5.1 remix people would have been much more properly floored!

These two examples I mentioned are listening experiences that are ONLY possible to deliver and experience with full surround sound. These are cutting edge surround mixes even for surround sound.

If this new album is presented like THAT it might really be something!

Last edited:
Has Godrich ever produced something with a 5.1 mix? It feels like this could have been his call not to do one.

First single Smell the Roses can be streamed now from iTunes!
Look for Roger Waters albums and Is this the life we really want? is listed already. Once inside the album you can stream an excerpt of the song for free
Update: Full track on Spotify (sometimes I have to thank my wife for having a premium account)

So far, amazon.com are just listing CD and vinyl editions for the new record, so it looks like that's all we're going to get, and it looks like I won't be buying it. I'll just stream it, especially since this release follows on the heels of the reissues of both "Sgt Pepper" and "Songs from the Wood".
My wallet will need a break… :confused:

All preorders up on the usual places and no traces of a 5.1 mix. I asked burningshed.com and they know nothing either :(

All preorders up on the usual places and no traces of a 5.1 mix. I asked burningshed.com and they know nothing either :(

Probably going to follow the major label SOP I suppose.
1. Produce a CD from the HD master. Squash and hype it. Release only this first.
2. Release the HD stereo master a month or 3 later.
3. Release the surround mix a month or 3 after the HD stereo master. Possibly only in an expensive deluxe limited edition.

You can be a good fan and buy all three or hold off for phase three and piss and moan during phase one and two.
Apparently this is good for sales but I'm getting pretty sick of it.

It has been stated by some people who closely follow the band that there is to be no 5.1 release. Perhaps this is just another throwaway release? The obvious cover/remake of Have A Cigar would support that thinking. I have no idea if this is rumor or not. Disappointing if that's true.

Back