ABB At Fillmore East DVD-A Conversion

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadbase

First off, I'm pretty new to this so my terminology will likely be off. That said, I've got a 2 disc conversion of this classic and was wondering how many versions are out there. The one I have has the album cover on the screen with the songs listed while playing.
Ive seen people raving about the conversion, but there seems to be a lot of bleeding between speakers when playing. Is this how the original Quad mix was? I've got the DTS CD, which people claim is the original Quad mix, and the instruments are clearly separated.
I recently acquired Romanotrax Eat A Peach and its stunning. Clear separation. A real treat!

Am I clueless or is there another conversion of At Fillmore East?

I guess you would need to know the source. With a Cd4, dts, sacd, and BR versions out there all discrete, why would anyone make something less???? Wow, you have the patience of Job, 10 plus years til your first post!?

In 1974, WEA (Capricorn) released the first version mixed by Tom Down himself as CD-4 & Q8. He chose the approach of utilizing all channels fully to put listeners in the middle of the band as if you were on stage. In 1998 DTS released a DTS CD with the same mix more or less. Then around 2002 Universal Music issued a new 5.1 mix on 2 SACD discs that were more listener in auditorium positioning (more of the action up front). In 2014 Universal released not just the material used in the original Fillmore East release but ALL of the 6 shows recorded in that week on 3 Blu Ray discs. These mixes are possibly even more 'conventional live album' than the 2002 mix was.

The scope and fidelity of the Blu Ray release is wonderful, but the mix is quite subdued by comparison. The true quad spirit of immersive surround is found in the original Tow Dowd mix IMHO. Best bet is aiming to have all versions and play them according to mood swing.

Back