New Amp/Receiver Suggestions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spenceo

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Greetings all,

It's been a while since I posted anything here. But I still come by from time to time. I've got a couple questions.

1) Does anyone still make a receiver with analog audio ins (at least 5.1)?

With video/audio formats being consolidate to HDMI mainly. And, I've just "cut" the cord and went to streaming only TV services. My classic equipment that love and served me well, has finally became to outdated. Take a look at my older post for a lot of pictures!! Which leads me to my next question.

2) Is anyone still into collecting, using, repairing these old amps? Is there a market?

Thank guys,

Spence

Greetings all,

It's been a while since I posted anything here. But I still come by from time to time. I've got a couple questions.

1) Does anyone still make a receiver with analog audio ins (at least 5.1)?

With video/audio formats being consolidate to HDMI mainly. And, I've just "cut" the cord and went to streaming only TV services. My classic equipment that love and served me well, has finally became to outdated. Take a look at my older post for a lot of pictures!! Which leads me to my next question.

2) Is anyone still into collecting, using, repairing these old amps? Is there a market?

Thank guys,

Spence

There are a few AV receivers w/multi-channel inputs listed on Crutchfield's site.

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_10420...puts_and_Outputs|YCMulti@Channel_Analog_Input

Good luck in your search!

Some really good advice stick with HDMI 5.1 or 7.1 analog is fine but there's too much conversion involved . HDMI sends a nice clean lossless signal. I would look at the Integra line or Onkyo absolutely the best bang for your buck

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

Some really good advice stick with HDMI 5.1 or 7.1 analog is fine but there's too much conversion involved . HDMI sends a nice clean lossless signal. I would look at the Integra line or Onkyo absolutely the best bang for your buck

I'll second leevitalone1's advice. I trialed a Marantz receiver with both HDMI and analog inputs, using my Oppo 103's analog outputs as a source. I found no real difference in sound quality between HDMI and analog inputs. HDMI was much easier (1 HDMI cable vs. 8 Coax cables), and sounded as good or better. YMMV.

I was thinking about this and if the poster really want to go analog I suggest looking on eBay or local Craigslist or something and you'll be able to find an analog receiver

For me here's the catch to procuring a receiver or pre-pro with 5.1 analog in;

Typically this feature is reserved for higher end machines, machines already endowed with quality DACs, and of course generally well about $1,000. By using the 5.1 in's, your defeating the DAC. How good is your transport that it would be preferable to bypass the receivers DACs? And if your going to do any room correction, again your defeating the purpose of feeding the machine via analog.

I'm in the same boat with my Oppo 105. Why would you own it to merely transfer data via HDMI? At that point, any player with a similar feature set would be much more cost effective (ie Oppo 103). Because of this problem, I just skip the middle man and feed my Oppo directly to a 7 channel amp.

I have to have and analog in for my Q8, Q4 (R to R) and quad LP's. All else will be HDMI.

Spence

I used to have a problem hooking all my old quad stuff up because of limited multi channel analog inputs. Then I purchased a Zektor HDS4.1 switcher. All is fine now. Don't know why I didn't purchase one earlier. A must have if you are short of multi channel inputs.

I used to have a problem hooking all my old quad stuff up because of limited multi channel analog inputs. Then I purchased a Zektor HDS4.1 switcher. All is fine now. Don't know why I didn't purchase one earlier. A must have if you are short of multi channel inputs.

The Zektor units are great. I have two of them because my Arcam AV9 preamp/processor only has one multichannel input. One Zektor is for vintage 4-channel sources (SQ & QS decoders, CD-4 demodulator and quad tape decks), and the other is for multichannel digital sources (SACD, DVD-Audio and Blu-ray players, with the 4th input connecting the first Zektor unit).

The Zektor units are great. I have two of them because my Arcam AV9 preamp/processor only has one multichannel input. One Zektor is for vintage 4-channel sources (SQ & QS decoders, CD-4 demodulator and quad tape decks), and the other is for multichannel digital sources (SACD, DVD-Audio and Blu-ray players, with the 4th input connecting the first Zektor unit).

I also purchased a second Zektor but it's not hooked up yet. Eventually my hookups will be similar to yours. I'm waiting on my George Harrison turntable which will free up my current TT for cd-4 only. That is if my demodulator still works. Been in storage for over 30 years.

I have one!!:banana:

Back