Living Stereo - Copland Billy the Kid Rodeo, Grofé Grand Canyon Suite 3-Channel SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel John

Didn't see this reviewed in the polls, apologies if its already been mentioned. If you like classical music this SACD disc is really great. It's 3-track so your centre channel will get a workout. Fantastic recording, great dynamics throughout. Especially on the Grand Canyon Suite. Highly recommend if you're into classical and want to showcase your system. Very inexpensive over on Amazon. I'll be checking out more of the Living Stereo SACDs.

81kL51EyVQL._SX355_.jpg

Didn't see this reviewed in the polls, apologies if its already been mentioned. If you like classical music this SACD disc is really great. It's 3-track so your centre channel will get a workout. Fantastic recording, great dynamics throughout. Especially on the Grand Canyon Suite. Highly recommend if you're into classical and want to showcase your system. Very inexpensive over on Amazon. I'll be checking out more of the Living Stereo SACDs.

Excellent disc indeed! One of my favourites from the RCA Living Stereo SACD series. It served as an excellent introduction to the works of Copland whose music I was not familiar with before hearing this. I then explored further and purchased these two superb albums. I believe all three are extremely well executed and offer great sound.

Leonard Bernstein & New York Philharmonic ‎– Copland: Appalachian Spring, El Salon Mexico, Billy The Kid, Rodeo
Sony Classical SS 8732 (3.0 SACD)

Leonard%20Bernstein%20Copland%20SACD_zpsq1qjsssk.jpg

Leonard%20Bernstein%20Copland%20SACD%202_zpsdlgfwcdz.jpg

Andrew Litton & Colorado Symphony - Copland: Billy the Kid and Rodeo (complete ballet scores); An Outdoor Overture; El Salón México
Bis BIS-2164 (5.0 SACD)

Andrew%20Litton%20Copland%20SACD_zpsjpzwozc0.jpg

Andrew%20Litton%20Copland%20SACD%202_zpstk795xbn.jpg

Excellent disc indeed! One of my favourites from the RCA Living Stereo SACD series. It served as an excellent introduction to the works of Copland whose music I was not familiar with before hearing this. I then explored further and purchased these two superb albums. I believe all three are extremely well executed and offer great sound.

Leonard Bernstein & New York Philharmonic ‎– Copland: Appalachian Spring, El Salon Mexico, Billy The Kid, Rodeo
Sony Classical SS 8732 (3.0 SACD)

Leonard%20Bernstein%20Copland%20SACD_zpsq1qjsssk.jpg

Leonard%20Bernstein%20Copland%20SACD%202_zpsdlgfwcdz.jpg

Andrew Litton & Colorado Symphony - Copland: Billy the Kid and Rodeo (complete ballet scores); An Outdoor Overture; El Salón México
Bis BIS-2164 (5.0 SACD)

Andrew%20Litton%20Copland%20SACD_zpsjpzwozc0.jpg

Andrew%20Litton%20Copland%20SACD%202_zpstk795xbn.jpg

Merci Simon. I'll look for these other recordings and pick them up if available.

Merci Simon. I'll look for these other recordings and pick them up if available.

I think you're in for a treat. The Bernstein may be a tad pricier than desired, but I think it's worth it.

These are all great choices. I'd go with Bernstein as the first choice, but the Gould recording is also excellent and sells for a fraction of the price - making it a better introduction. The Bernstein was also a 3-channel recording, so on SACD it's 3-channel with artificial ambience.

The Litton is probably the best modern SACD version - indeed that goes for many of his BIS recordings (his Stravinsky recordings also go into that category).

Back