Yamaha receivers no longer have DPLII Music?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For authoring discs, 4.0 is broken now? Does 5.0 with a blank center work, or do I need to go 5.1 with blank center and sub? Does this apply to both the dvd-a and dvd-v side, or only effect the dvd-a side?

I'm getting ready to put a lot of stuff out there, I want to make sure everything I put out is compatible.

I got tired being told that the DVD-As I had authored with HD-Audio Solo Ultra would not play here or there so I've simply started to add blank center and sub channels in Audacity and that's fixed it. It is time consuming (perhaps there are other ways which I know not of) but it works for me.

I got tired being told that the DVD-As I had authored with HD-Audio Solo Ultra would not play here or there so I've simply started to add blank center and sub channels in Audacity and that's fixed it. It is time consuming (perhaps there are other ways which I know not of) but it works for me.

There's an easy way (mind you I haven't done it for a while so I'm a bit rusty). Do you split the tracks in the time line? You don't need do it to the silent tracks as well. Just generate silence for the whole period of the timeline in the sub and centre tracks, then when/if you extract by markers (I can't remember the actual term) the silent parts are included and cut off at the same point as the other audio in the selection. Did that make sense?

There's an easy way (mind you I haven't done it for a while so I'm a bit rusty). Do you split the tracks in the time line? You don't need do it to the silent tracks as well. Just generate silence for the whole period of the timeline in the sub and centre tracks, then when/if you extract by markers (I can't remember the actual term) the silent parts are included and cut off at the same point as the other audio in the selection. Did that make sense?

I'll give it a try. Thanks! :)

Good move. I started doing that a lot time ago and that's how I've done it since and it never fails to work no matter where I try the DVD-A.

I guess the only down side to this is the need to down-sample your 96KHz files to 48KHz in order to fit 6 channels in the DVD-A stream (unless you have an MLP encoder; which I don't.)

I use the "AudioMuxer/Merge Mono-Wav/Flac Files" option to force a 5.1 channel layout from 4 channels. It automatically creates the 2 empty channels for you.

I guess the only down side to this is the need to down-sample your 96KHz files to 48KHz in order to fit 6 channels in the DVD-A stream (unless you have an MLP encoder; which I don't.)

I use the "AudioMuxer/Merge Mono-Wav/Flac Files" option to force a 5.1 channel layout from 4 channels. It automatically creates the 2 empty channels for you.

Yes, that is downside, but one I can live with. I don,t let the numbers bring me down. I trust what I hear and I still enjoy it. :)

Just curious if anyone has had a chance to test the Dolby Atmos upmixer further with DPL-2 encoded content?

Was previously somewhat indifferent on the Atmos upmixer, but if it is replacing DPL-2 Music and Cinema decoding in higher end receivers...

Just curious if anyone has had a chance to test the Dolby Atmos upmixer further with DPL-2 encoded content?

Was previously somewhat indifferent on the Atmos upmixer, but if it is replacing DPL-2 Music and Cinema decoding in higher end receivers...

I have both DPL II (Music, Movie and Game) and Dolby Surround Upmixer on my Yamaha (CX-A5100) - and it is a lot more surround sound with the Dolby Surround Upmixer on stereo tracks (even if I turn off the 4 ceiling speakers) - compared to the DPL II choices.

But I have never liked the DPL II dsp on the Yamaha much (I have owned 2 of Yamaha avrs) - not enough surround - I had a 2007 model Pioneer (AVR-LX70) - and the DPL II on that was a lot better. Prefer the 11 channel stereo dsp on the Yamaha - when playing stereo tracks.

Back