Yamaha receivers no longer have DPLII Music?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anybody tried switching their Players to output PCM? It might work.

I have my Denon switched to output PCM for all disc formats and I haven't had an issue with my Pioneer amp with any 4.0 discs. I did it because the Pioneer didn't like some of the AF SACD DSD encoding.

In my case the problem was with 4.0 PCM. Oppo 103's HDMI-2 sends only the two front channels to the Yamaha receiver. By the way, 5.0 and 5.1 PCM were fine coming from HDMI-2.

After I started using the Oppo's HDMI-1 output, all was well with 4.0.

I was planning to buy the Yamaha RX-A860 (next model up), but I'm sad to hear about the Dolby II Music Issue. I use it all the time. I notice there are no switched AC recepticles on the rear also to power my Marantz 4100 (which I could use outboard). I planned to use the Dolby Atmos 3D Effect for watching TV over HULU. Any feedback on how the Atmos 3D sounds with stereo decoding???

I was planning to buy the Yamaha RX-A860 (next model up), but I'm sad to hear about the Dolby II Music Issue. I use it all the time. I notice there are no switched AC recepticles on the rear also to power my Marantz 4100 (which I could use outboard). I planned to use the Dolby Atmos 3D Effect for watching TV over HULU. Any feedback on how the Atmos 3D sounds with stereo decoding???

AC recepticles on the back of receivers seem to be a thing of the past? Yamaha hasn't had them for a few years anyway.

It's possible some of the step-up models have DPLII music, but I know the A860 doesn't. Don't know anything about the Atmos, although I'm thinking about going that way with the next set of speakers I purchase.

I just went on Crutchfield and ALL Yamaha and even Marantz and Anthem Receivers today just say "Dolby Surround" with its enhancements. No more Dolby Pro Logic II that I can find on ANY present day Receiver !!
I guess we have to settle for DTS NEO:6 for 2 channel music upmixes. I need to replace my Yamaha RX-V730, but this wasn't what I planned! At least I bought the timbre matched Boston Acoustics Surround speakers for the ceiling. I'll have to enjoy only discrete stuff from now on. I watch mostly Two Channel Hulu TV shows these days. Hope it works for those!!

I've never been a big Dolby guy, but my former Acura ELS deck had Dolby PLII for stereo sources and it worked great. In fact, if I played a CD in the car through the PLII and noticed a great surround soundfield, that CD would always light up when used with SPEC or the Surround Master at home. It was a good way to determine what were the best CDs to convert, as if it didn't do well in the car with PLII, using SPEC or SM would not have great results.

But alas, the new Acura's no longer have DPLII. Instead, there is the DTS Neo crap, and IMHO, that's just what it is. Crap. There is no comparison, to me, and I can't understand why they took that feature out. It's bad enough they dropped DVD-A, but dropping the DPLII was pretty shitty as well.

Damn shame all around.

I just went on Crutchfield and ALL Yamaha and even Marantz and Anthem Receivers today just say "Dolby Surround" with its enhancements. No more Dolby Pro Logic II that I can find on ANY present day Receiver !!
I guess we have to settle for DTS NEO:6 for 2 channel music upmixes. I need to replace my Yamaha RX-V730, but this wasn't what I planned! At least I bought the timbre matched Boston Acoustics Surround speakers for the ceiling. I'll have to enjoy only discrete stuff from now on. I watch mostly Two Channel Hulu TV shows these days. Hope it works for those!!

This is bad news indeed. Dolby often gets a lot of flack, but the (Jim Fosgate designed) DPLII Music mode for me is a *must*.

Future receiver purchases will now have to be done far more carefully, especially as I had loved Yamaha receivers and processors.

Well I've been playing around with the "surround"
program and it doesn't sound too bad but I have to crank the rears by about 5db to get it sound the way the older receiver did. Have to crank the Neo6 by about the same amount as well.

Makes me wonder if there isn't something wrong with my receiver. Although the rear levels are fine on the MC signals and with "7 Channel Stereo" and such

Weird.

Well I've been playing around with the "surround"
program and it doesn't sound too bad but I have to crank the rears by about 5db to get it sound the way the older receiver did. Have to crank the Neo6 by about the same amount as well.

Makes me wonder if there isn't something wrong with my receiver. Although the rear levels are fine on the MC signals and with "7 Channel Stereo" and such

Weird.

Hmm... wonder if it still decodes DPL-2 stereo surrounds correctly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmfXvipPmCE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5Np56XLVXE

It was replaced by something just called "Dolby", which does basically the same thing. What's MUCH worse on, all current 4K receivers, is that they will no longer decode quad. If a 4.0 MC signal is input, ALL current receivers, EVERY brand, will just give you the front L & R channels, ignoring the 2 rears, displaying the incoming signal as 2.0, rather than 4.0, necessitating using the 5.1 inputs, thus losing bass management. I have spoken to a few companies, & it seems to be a bad implementation of the current decoding chip that EVERY manufacturer uses. ALL quad DVD-A transfers will not play properly, nor will the Pink Floyd DSOTM & WYWH Blu-ray quad mixes play. DTS & DSD work properly, just things that display as "4.0 Multichannel" will not work. All 5.1 stuff works properly. I am right now holding off on getting a new receiver (the HDMI video out died on my Integra 50.3), as I am hoping SOME manufacturer could fix this with a firmware update (if this is even possible). This is probably why some recent quad releases (like the Jethro Tulls) show 5.1 or 5.0 with blank center or SW channels, to fool these decoders into working properly. This is a disaster for QQ. I at least request that Bob R, AOQ & Fredblue encode blank channels from now on, otherwise anybody with a new receiver won't be able to play them.

Brian Moura let me know about the 4.0 compatibility weirdness with modern 5.1/7.1 receivers sometime last year so been doing everything Quad as 6-ch flac with silent centre & lfe since then and as you say it all works out ok with 4-channel material correctly assigned to the 4 x Quad speakers.

Brian Moura let me know about the 4.0 compatibility weirdness with modern 5.1/7.1 receivers sometime last year so been doing everything Quad as 6-ch flac with silent centre & lfe since then and as you say it all works out ok with 4-channel material correctly assigned to the 4 x Quad speakers.
Thank you.

Check Out the Crutchfield website. The lowest end 5.1 Yamaha Surround Receivers still have Dolby Pro Logic II, only the cheapest ones that are 5.1. The newer decoding format Dolby Surround looks like it was developed for the transition to Dolby Atmos.

I'm still planning on a higher end Yamaha, but the only way to buy a present day Yamaha with Pro Logic II is either the RXV-381 or RXV-481.

Check Out the Crutchfield website. The lowest end 5.1 Yamaha Surround Receivers still have Dolby Pro Logic II, only the cheapest ones that are 5.1. The newer decoding format Dolby Surround looks like it was developed for the transition to Dolby Atmos.

I'm still planning on a higher end Yamaha, but the only way to buy a present day Yamaha with Pro Logic II is either the RXV-381 or RXV-481.

You can go for a pre/pro, my Yamaha CX-A5100 have DPLII Music (and -game and -movie). Sweet sounding unit, highly recommended,

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022CXA5100/Yamaha-CX-A5100.html?tp=48909

I read somewhere that with the introduction of ATMOS, Dolby eliminated PL II and replaced it with a "surround" mode.

As far as adding a Surround Master to a new receiver, good luck, as all new receivers (except for Marantz) have eliminated the 5.1 & 7.1 analog inputs!

I read somewhere that with the introduction of ATMOS, Dolby eliminated PL II and replaced it with a "surround" mode.

As far as adding a Surround Master to a new receiver, good luck, as all new receivers (except for Marantz) have eliminated the 5.1 & 7.1 analog inputs!
I am about to order an Integra RX5 receiver, a current model. It has a 7.1 input.

I'm not familiar with DPLII but I have a "Straight" option on my receiver (YAMAHA RX-V1073), making the different channels work perfectly. I am not sure what the difference with DPLII would be?

And so it seems. From this website: http://www.integrahometheater.com/dolbyatmos.php

"Dolby surround upmixer replaces the Dolby Pro Logic II family of upmixers, offering greater flexibility and superior audio performance.

Unlike previous wideband upmixing technologies, the Dolby surround upmixer operates on multiple perceptually spaced frequency bands for a fine-grained analysis of the source signal. Dolby surround upmixer can individually steer frequency bands, producing surround sound with precisely located audio elements and a spacious ambience. The Dolby surround upmixer will provide audio to the same Dolby Atmos enabled or ceiling speakers configured in your system."

The Marantz SR7010 has sound modes for movie, music, game and pure, once you select those you can select dolby, DTS neural X, (Auro 3d & 2d if you paid for the upgrade). So in a sense it does have music versions for the surround formats. Not sure if that changes the decoding parameters like DPII but I still use my older receivers for decoding when needed.

On another note. The issue with 4.0 decoding. My oppo 83 only has one HDMI output and has the same problem of just playing the 2 front channels although the receiver shows it is getting a 4.0 feed on something like Dark side of the moon. If I hook up my sons Samsung bluray it plays the 4.0 Dark side as a 5.1 with no center or sub and the Marantz plays all 4 channels. So that is a work around of sorts. I would like to hear more about how Marantz is going to address this problem on a flagship receiver.

...all current 4K receivers, is that they will no longer decode quad. If a 4.0 MC signal is input, ALL current receivers, EVERY brand, will just give you the front L & R channels, ignoring the 2 rears... I at least request that Bob R, AOQ & Fredblue encode blank channels from now on, otherwise anybody with a new receiver won't be able to play them.

For authoring discs, 4.0 is broken now? Does 5.0 with a blank center work, or do I need to go 5.1 with blank center and sub? Does this apply to both the dvd-a and dvd-v side, or only effect the dvd-a side?

I'm getting ready to put a lot of stuff out there, I want to make sure everything I put out is compatible.

I'm not familiar with DPLII but I have a "Straight" option on my receiver (YAMAHA RX-V1073), making the different channels work perfectly. I am not sure what the difference with DPLII would be?

DPLII and most of the other modes being talked about here: "Surround", NEO6, etc are simulations that take a stereo signal and reprocess into surround. Often using signals that were recorded in the stereo mix to be decoded.

"straight" is just that. It will play stereo as stereo and 5.1 as 5.1.

For authoring discs, 4.0 is broken now? Does 5.0 with a blank center work, or do I need to go 5.1 with blank center and sub? Does this apply to both the dvd-a and dvd-v side, or only effect the dvd-a side?

I'm getting ready to put a lot of stuff out there, I want to make sure everything I put out is compatible.

I have had issues with 4.0 on a receiver and with computer playback from a NAS drive and the fix was silent center and sub when creating the file. I never tried 5.0 as I did not have any issues with 5.1 and that is all I tried as a work around. I just got in the habit of adding both center and sub when creating files or discs.
I look forward to hearing what you have next, I just need to get hip to this new world since torrents are dead. I was month's to late when I discovered your you tube tests. Thanks for those by the way!

Back