Decoding matrix quad (SQ, QS) without a Decoder

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
The following excerpt from Aug 1976 discusses how Binaural listening (basically a pair of headphones-open ear) will decode both SANSUI QS and CBS SQ matrice.

So even a stereo listener can hear quad via appropriate headphones recommended for Binaural.

Gotta be the cheapest decoding of Quadraphonic matrix discs.

article next post》》》》

CBS response to SQ decode via binaural by none other than BEN BAUER of CBS LABS, and the inventor of SQ QUAD.

20170224_191457.jpg

I must give this a go when I'm back home at the weekend.

You know Duncan, Actually I thought this was common knowledge but it wasn't disclosed until late 76 and without too much fanfare.

Aww, but of course both Sansui and CBS wanted to sell those premium SQ and QS VARIO-MATRIX Decoders no doubt . ($)

It's interesting to note they made their findings available to AES papers .

FWIW,

I do listen to some matrix quad via my MP3 Mostly SQ though from cd's such as ELO 's first album, Kevin Coyne, Nektar, etc.and a bit of MP MATRIX, with Isao Tomita and Yes Symphonic.

The quad and dolby surround are ok ,but I should really upgrade my buds.

-fizzer :D

In late 76 I'd just started studying Electronics at Uni and was mad keen on Quad, so buying SQ LPs, building a decoder, and I read everything I could on Quad, but never came across that fact. So 41 years later I'll get to try it :cool:

You know Duncan, Actually I thought this was common knowledge but it wasn't disclosed until late 76 and without too much fanfare.

Aww, but of course both Sansui and CBS wanted to sell those premium SQ and QS VARIO-MATRIX Decoders no doubt . ($)

It's interesting to note they made their findings available to AES papers .

FWIW,

I do listen to some matrix quad via my MP3 Mostly SQ though from cd's such as ELO 's first album, Kevin Coyne, Nektar, etc.and a bit of MP MATRIX, with Isao Tomita and Yes Symphonic.

The quad and dolby surround are ok ,but I should really upgrade my buds.

-fizzer :D

Anyway, if you need to give this process a good listen, I would recommend you try out a few quadrant test tracks of SQ and QS from each respective test discs of these formats.
This will give you some bearings for how what might work best.
Then of course load up your favourite Quad matrix music or albums from lps( or cds that are still available in SQ or QS)

There are luckily still some QS , SQ, and MP (dolby) encoded CD'S available.
And remember results vary somewhat with source material, and various headphones, ear buds, and the like.

So a good encode should yield satisfactory results, but bear in mind it will not be as accurate or profound as the results from a good quad matrix decoder with a good speaker setup.(same goes for 4ch or 5ch Dolby matrix surround cd's)

Never the less however, you can't beat the price !! (y):D

Back