Email Petition To Wendy Carlos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fourplay

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
In case some of you are skipping over a related thread, I am asking for your help tomorrow.

We at QQ are going to try to petition Wendy Carlos to release Switched On Bach and other already-mixed works in a modern digital format. We are doing this by sending a somewhat coordinated series of emails. I am hoping people send these tomorrow, March 1st.

Please join us in this campaign and let's see if we can make a difference. It should only take five minutes of your time, and I think higher numbers will matter.

Please go to this post for more details:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ith-A-Quad-Mix&p=327834&viewfull=1#post327834

Thanks!

Wendy Carlos doesn't seem like the kind of person that would give two craps about a petition unfortunately. Also the record label has got to be on board and she has had some trouble getting the record companies to release her stuff in the past, let alone quad albums she spent half of the 70's fighting them on.

The record label has got to be on board and she has had some trouble getting the record companies to release her stuff in the past.

Sony Music has been very willing to license albums for SACD reissue since the early days of the format.
Going back to Mobile Fidelity's 1st SACD - Blues In Orbit by Duke Ellington from the Columbia Records catalog.

Another key point is that this would be a reissue in a discrete surround sound format.
Removing the issue around issuing this album as an SQ Matrix encoded LP that Carlos opposed years ago.

So, the key will be artist licensing and approval from what I can see.

I posted mine about 24 hrs. ago to that address
And I have had nothing set back

I wouldn't expect anything back. She hasn't maintained her website in years. It is worth trying to let her know.

I have sent an e-mail.

Her latest post in the News section dates from 2009 but the site's copyright is dates 1996-2015 Serendip LLC.

Who knows if she pays much attention to it.

I think it's still worth taking ten seconds to send an email. :)

My email to webmaster(nospam)@wendycarlos.com came back...

Returned mail: User unknown

Please be careful about posting a valid email address on the forum. Spammers search for this sort of thing. If possible, please edit the post to show the address I have put above.

I sent my email over an hour ago and have not gotten a bounce back.

There is no way of knowing if this will work until we try. Maybe these are not seen for weeks or months, but at some point someone will check the account, and then our efforts will be known. Whether they change anything - well, it can't hurt to try!

Thanks to all who give it a shot!

From this page on her web site:
Eventually (perhaps soon, now that the standards seem to be in place) surround sound on DVD will be a popular medium for home music delivery. The good news is that the third and fourth disks of the Bach collection (S-OB II and the Brandys) are now preserved in superb 20-bit surround master transfers, from which the ultra-stereo two track CD versions on the new boxed set were made. So those will lend themselves neatly to 5.1 or whatever versions quite nicely. Switched-On Bach I was mastered in two track stereo, but a couple of years later got the early quad treatment, too. We made careful new mixes at CBS's bequest. But that mastering was released in their phony-quad system: SQ, if only for a couple of years in the early '70's. We will evaluate if that mix lives up to our usual standards, and also how greatly it may differ from the original we're all used to.

The Well-Tempered Synthesizer was never mastered to anything but two channels. Evenso, we have the original multitrack tapes, so it might be reasonable to do new surround mixes, which would allow ALL the Switched-On Boxed Set music to become surround-ready, if you'd permit the fact that the first two will not be exactly the same in balances on every line and part to the originals (this is why the Boxed Set has been made available first as the best possible version of the original masters, for historical reasons. Other versions can then follow, as interest demands). Perhaps it would be best to test the reactions to the selections which would not need such revisionist history as surround remixing. Stay tuned for news on those after all the stereo titles have been completed.

I tried to find a Facebook page for her, but I don't think she has one.

Back