Email Petition To Wendy Carlos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tied that address as well and it also failed to deliver.

I have been seeking another solution but thus far have been unsuccessful. I will post if I can find an alternate. Thanks to all who have tried!

Doesn't seem like something an artist (or even an accidental icon) would do, but, could it be possible that she's reached a pivot in her life to the point where she's not enthused about sharing in a dialogue with her fan base? Could it be that her business dealings post-ESD have brought her to a frustrating point in pursuing the entitlements of her own legacy?

It's obvious from looking at her own website that, this was a personal endeavor, and probably did a lot of it by her own hand. And, the older you get, the harder it is, keeping up with the changing technology. Imagine being a pioneer in your art, but running out of the artistic or the entrepreneurial spirit to keep pushing it forward. Also, imagine being in the public eye for decades, and being a private person who just doesn't want to spark further discussion about her personal life choices.

I hope I'm way off base here. If so, those who know otherwise are welcome to accept my apologies, and know that I'm not going to continue to poke at that beehive. We know, just because we bought a few records doesn't mean we deserve constant updates on where an artist is in their journey.

But, dang it's so frustrating, knowing a broadband connection that gives you access to the worlds' biggest library, still can't scrape up an update now and then on someone whose publicly-shared work has given us years enjoyment and amazement.

Uh huh.... :hi

I'm quite serious. This is an amazing transfer I want to share with the quad community, in spite of the fact that several folks are giving me flak over it. They apparently don't want to take me seriously just because I am a woman.

Last edited:
I'm quite serious. This is an amazing transfer I want to share with the quad community, in spite of the fact that several folks are giving me flak over it. They apparently don't want to take me seriously just because I am a woman.
It is because we take you seriously that we are objecting to what you propose. The provenance of this is not without legal issues and distributing it widely and freely may result in unfortunate consequences for those who have created it. Besides, I assume everyone on the Internet is a dog.

Hi Jessica, and welcome to QQ.

The demographic of this community may not be hugely diverse: I suspect that beardy middle-aged white guys like me are somewhat over-represented, while the distaff side is...not. That said: I hope you'll also find that QQ members generally don't take kindly to trollish behavior or dismissive comments. There's undoubtedly just as much unconscious sexism here as anywhere else in life, but I've never seen the sorts of hateful misogyny that are so common elsewhere on the internet.

So hang in there. I know you have plenty of fellow Wendy Carlos enthusiasts here, and I'll bet many of them are familiar with the Q8 you're referring to. I also don't think an offer to discuss a transfer via PM is any sort of "violation" of QQ custom or protocol--the mods will correct me if I'm wrong about that--but my observation is that people do tend to err on the side of caution with respect to such things, partly because, as Kal implies, the internet is global, and copyright laws vary so widely (and capriciously) from place to place.

Anyway: thanks for jumping into the fray.

Kal, these recordings, being 50 years old, are Public Domain in my country.

Well, if she or her current label applied to extend their claim to it's rights it would not be in PD .

But on a separate note .........

Knowing full well that she had the soundtrack to "Clockwork Orange " mixed in quad as well , and by CBS , and in CD-4 by the main SQ vinyl only label .........that would be the prize winner Carlos Quad for me .
I just watched that movie the other night and boy is that ever a fantastic piece of work by her.

Well, if she or her current label applied to extend their claim to it's rights it would not be in PD .

Doesn't matter. A sound recording becomes P.D. here the second it becomes 50 years old, irregardless of that. And that 50-year clock begins ticking the instant the recording is created.

Knowing full well that she had the soundtrack to "Clockwork Orange " mixed in quad as well , and by CBS , and in CD-4 by the main SQ vinyl only label .........that would be the prize winner Carlos Quad for me .
I just watched that movie the other night and boy is that ever a fantastic piece of work by her.

Doesn't matter. A sound recording becomes P.D. here the second it becomes 50 years old, irregardless of that. And that 50-year clock begins ticking the instant the recording is created.
I woud like your source for this information. I suspect that Elvis Presley's estate would too as his recordings were reported to be copyrighted up the ying yang.

The copyright on sound recordings in Canada is 70 years from date of issue as of 2015, and even if it was 50 years, Switched-On Bach was released in October '68 meaning even under the 50 year rule it wouldn't be public domain until October of this year.

I'm not sure about performance royalties in Canada, but songwriting credits don't enter the public domain until 50 years after the death of the composer, so it's possible that even if you were legally allowed to give copies of this album away for free that you'd still have to pay statutory royalties to SOCAN or whoever the publishing agency is these days.

It's admirable that you want to share stuff with people, but it's wise to know your legitimate rights rather than standing on a pseudo-legal platform to justify something. Humprof is right that this place probably over-represented by beardy weirdos like himself, but it's always been welcoming to all kinds - and what difference does gender make in a place like this where we're all anonymous and it's just words on the screen?

Sincerely, a fellow Canadian

The copyright on sound recordings in Canada is 70 years from date of issue as of 2015, and even if it was 50 years, Switched-On Bach was released in October '68 meaning even under the 50 year rule it wouldn't be public domain until October of this year.

I'm not sure about performance royalties in Canada, but songwriting credits don't enter the public domain until 50 years after the death of the composer, so it's possible that even if you were legally allowed to give copies of this album away for free that you'd still have to pay statutory royalties to SOCAN or whoever the publishing agency is these days.

It's admirable that you want to share stuff with people, but it's wise to know your legitimate rights rather than standing on a pseudo-legal platform to justify something. Humprof is right that this place probably over-represented by beardy weirdos like himself, but it's always been welcoming to all kinds - and what difference does gender make in a place like this where we're all anonymous and it's just words on the screen?

Sincerely, a fellow Canadian
LOL! Exactly! I didn't take "Jessica's" user name seriously...I only found it odd that a new member was offering such things. Anyhow....

Back