Qrx & phono question for all ( cd-4x2 )

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snake

Just wondering if using a qrx,
Do I need a cd-4 turntable ORrrr
Just the cd-4 stylus.

I'm eyeing the B&O6000

It's a cd-4 built in but the sansui
Has cd-4 as well do I receiver 2x the
Demodulation? Does in have precedence
Over the other.

Snake.

Yes, you need a CD-4 cartridge and a turntable that is compatible for CD-4 (which means the connecting cables have to accommodate the CD-4 carrier signal).
The cables s/b low impedence.

The Reciever manual will indicate such.

Yes, you need a CD-4 cartridge and a turntable that is compatible for CD-4 (which means the connecting cables have to accommodate the CD-4 carrier signal).
The cables s/b low impedence.

The Reciever manual will indicate such.

Were you referring to capacitance cables.

Dear friend I have been under the impression
Using either the cd-4 demodulator, built in or add on
The cd-4 stylus, an capacitance wire,
Any turntable would play cd-4

Both the qrx an the Beogram are cd-4
Built in. I just need 1 cd-4 source. Correct

Providing you have a turntable that has "low cap" cable for the hookup to the receiver is what I meant. Now I thought I read somewhere that all newer turntables are well equipped, but I can't confirm this as I have never tried one.
I have not mucked about with CD-4 for some 25 ? years now and no longer have the equipment.

With the "correct" turntable, you will need a CD-4 cartridge of course.

Providing you have a turntable that has "low cap" cable for the hookup to the receiver is what I meant. Now I thought I read somewhere that all newer turntables are well equipped, but I can't confirm this as I have never tried one.
I have not mucked about with CD-4 for some 25 ? years now and no longer have the equipment.

With the "correct" turntable, you will need a CD-4 cartridge of course.

Bumbaclot.

So I've read the cap wires can be added to any turntable.
I'm not using a mixer or anything just playback

Anyone else know for sure
?

Bumbaclot.

So I've read the cap wires can be added to any turntable.
I'm not using a mixer or anything just playback

Anyone else know for sure

I'm not sure what "Bumbaclot" means but, assuming its not an insult, here is my input.

After briefly researching the B&O6000 turntable here, it seems to me you may be forced to use the CD-4 demodulator that is built into B&O6000. Not only is the CD-4 demodulator built in, so is the phono preamp. So, it would plug into a discrete input on the receiver. In this case, the low capacitance cables wont matter because the signal leaves the turntable already decoded. This path might be defeatable, but I don't see any indication that is so. Keep in mind too that the output connection is described as a DIN plug. It will need to be adapted to RCA jacks, unless you are going to pair it with vintage European equipment that also uses DIN connections.

I also don't see any adjustment knobs on it, like one would see on a typical CD-4 demodulator.

Using this deck may not allow you to use the receivers CD-4 demodulator.

I read the description the same way. If it works well, with a good stylus (not replaceable on the original cartridge,https://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=726) it might be a great TT/demod combo. The table seems to have a switch for stereo but the output cut at 15Khz so it would not work with an outboard demod. "It did have a built in RIAA though and would play stereo records perfectly happily as the rear channels could be switched off." In the specs there is not a listing for frequency response, except for 20-15K.

Either use the discrete four channel output with a DIN to four RCA adapter into an amp with at least four channels like a QRX or a modern receiver (with four or more channel discrete RCA input jacks), or use a different turntable optimized for CD-4 low capacitance RCA cables into an external demodulator with four outputs, or use an old receiver with built-in demod such as a Sansui).

CD-4 is a really interesting concept more similar to radio and not like filters or matrix decoders. Daisy-chaining, or cascading two demods loses the function of demodulating, if that's what you are asking.

I haven't done enough tweaks to my system to reliably play CD-4, but I have not changed the interconnects as they don't unplug from the table. Long story, but heavy table and a hassle to flip over.

I'm not sure what "Bumbaclot" means but, assuming its not an insult, here is my input.

After briefly researching the B&O6000 turntable here, it seems to me you may be forced to use the CD-4 demodulator that is built into B&O6000. Not only is the CD-4 demodulator built in, so is the phono preamp. So, it would plug into a discrete input on the receiver. In this case, the low capacitance cables wont matter because the signal leaves the turntable already decoded. This path might be defeatable, but I don't see any indication that is so. Keep in mind too that the output connection is described as a DIN plug. It will need to be adapted to RCA jacks, unless you are going to pair it with vintage European equipment that also uses DIN connections.

I also don't see any adjustment knobs on it, like one would see on a typical CD-4 demodulator.

Using this deck may not allow you to use the receivers CD-4 demodulator.

Back