Did I miss this?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went through some of the library they have listed and there is a ton of stuff that is not there especially the DVD audio section sorely lacking. in my thinking everything should be listed.

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

And they got rid of the forum in the progress - as well as the ability to submit titles.

In my opinion it was a massive downgrade. That was a great forum for classical multichannel fans, with many folks from the labels participating. And as a result I'm simply not hearing about new releases as frequently. This site is great but it's much more rock/pop focused (which is totally cool, to be clear).

And because titles can no longer be submitted, the database is woefully incomplete for DVD-Audio titles. I use the site to keep track of my collection of SACDs, but that's about it. The comments section is a poor replacement for what the site had before.

And they got rid of the forum in the progress - as well as the ability to submit titles.

In my opinion it was a massive downgrade. That was a great forum for classical multichannel fans, with many folks from the labels participating. And as a result I'm simply not hearing about new releases as frequently. This site is great but it's much more rock/pop focused (which is totally cool, to be clear).

And because titles can no longer be submitted, the database is woefully incomplete for DVD-Audio titles. I use the site to keep track of my collection of SACDs, but that's about it. The comments section is a poor replacement for what the site had before.

The metamorphosis from SA~CD.net to HRAudio.net was a ploy on website owner Stephen Best's part to eliminate the burden of moderating the forum and create a revenue producing website. The brief 'comments' section instituted at the new HRAudio was basically a concession to existing members [old and new] to compensate for the lack of the old forum.

As far as the lack of a complete DVD~Audio database, it was basically pointless to pursue what many considered to be a 'dead' format as unlike a lot of classical SACDs, DVD~A discs were not repressed and were either entirely out of print or ONLY available from eBay or third party Amazon vendors. And let's be real: SA~CD.net was first and foremost a Classical website whereas QQforum is basically rock and pop oriented.

As for me, high res is HIGH RES and whether it's classical, rock, pop, jazz or world music..........my eclectic interests cover ALL bases. I still visit HRAudio.net on an almost daily basis to keep up with the newer SACD/BD~A releases, classical or otherwise but lack the compulsion to post comments on that site.

I also noticed that One Bit Audio.com is no longer keeping up with current releases so IMO, another Hi Res music website has essentially bit the dust.

The change from SA~CD.net to HRAudio.net was a ploy on website owner Stephen Best to eliminate the burden of moderating the forum and create a revenue producing website. The brief 'comments' section instituted at the new HRAudio was basically a concession to existing members [old and new] to compensate for the lack of the old forum.

As far as the lack of a complete DVD~Audio database, it was basically pointless to pursue what many considered to be a 'dead' format as unlike a lot of classical SACDs, DVD~A discs were not repressed and were either entirely out of print or ONLY available from eBay or third party Amazon vendors. And let's be real: SA~CD.net was first and foremost a Classical website whereas QQforum is basically rock and pop oriented.

As for me, high res is HIGH RES and whether it's classical, rock, pop, jazz or world music..........my eclectic interests cover ALL bases. I still visit HRAudio.net on an almost daily basis to keep up with the newer SACD/BD~A releases, classical or otherwise but lack the compulsion to post comments on that site.

I also noticed that One Bit Audio.com is no longer keeping up with current releases so IMO, another Hi Res music website has essentially bit the dust.

It seems QQ is the scource for everything HR! Good refrence site, but mostly sacd.

It seems QQ is the scource for everything HR! Good refrence site, but mostly sacd.

QQ's Jon Urban runs a VERY tight ship and VERY unlike HRAudio.net has no interest in a revenue producing website. And we should ALL applaud Jon for his dedication to this site and also compliment the many moderators who aid in overseeing this site without any monetary compensation.

IT REALLY IS ONE OF A KIND!

And I mean that SINCERELY!

The metamorphosis from SA~CD.net to HRAudio.net was a ploy on website owner Stephen Best's part to eliminate the burden of moderating the forum and create a revenue producing website. The brief 'comments' section instituted at the new HRAudio was basically a concession to existing members [old and new] to compensate for the lack of the old forum.

I don't have any problem with wanting to produce revenue, but traffic to that site must be way down - the old site still gets much more traffic than the new one - site info follows:

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/hraudio.net
http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/sa-cd.net

I guess they wasnted to become another Audiophile Audition/Classics Today, but their reviewers just aren't at that level, and the problem isn't just that the site reviews are uniformly laudatory, it's that they're laudatory because they seem to have nothing better to say.

I understand that DVD-A isn't a live format, but a lot of us collect all formats, and one of the major reasons people use that site is because it allows us to easily keep a catalog of our holdings. Only having recent releases is pointless.

I agree on your broader points - high res is high res. But sa-cd.net had a good community of classical high-res fans, and then committed the unforced error of removing their contributions from the site in favor of focusing on a core group of reviewers. The fact that people weren't really turning to the reviews for information doesn't suggest that people were using the site wrong - it suggests that the reviewers generally didn't have much to say, and the real meat of the site was the forum. It's not clear to me why the site owner didn't realize that the key was to better monetize the forum, not jettison it.

Back