Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue (with 5.1 surround mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I say this with trepidation at the cost of being wrong, but I've heard this from someone in the industry that the coming re-issue of Sgt Pepper will definitely be an all-new stereo mix and a "strong maybe" for a 5.1 mix, also with Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane, all on Blu-ray.

Just a new stereo lossless mix on blu ray would be awesome. Even a glorified big stereo 5.1 would be awesome plus. But a real 5.1? I would wet myself.

Just a new stereo lossless mix on blu ray would be awesome. Even a glorified big stereo 5.1 would be awesome plus. But a real 5.1? I would wet myself.

And Snood would be willing to clean up your mess..........all for a real 5.1!!!!! :mad:@:

Perhaps you should keep some Depends around just in case!!!!:cool:

I'm sure George Martin and Company [hopefully] saved every scrap of tape from the Sgt. Pepper recording Sessions and since Martin mixed the various stems to only four tracks for the mono/stereo mix down there should be enough material [sound effects, etc] to create a very interesting 5.1 mix....especially with today's digital technology without altering the integrity of the original mix.

Were their albums recorded on 4 or 8 tracks? It may be a bit challenging to offer a good mix if there were recorded with 4 tracks. You would end up with something akin to The Doors' first album.

And yet that first Doors album was used to mix 2 or 3 quad tracks for Best of.

So it can be done ! There has to be the "willingness"from a well practiced mix engineer of course.:D

I'm sure George Martin and Company [hopefully] saved every scrap of tape from the Sgt. Pepper recording Sessions and since Martin mixed the various stems to only four tracks for the mono/stereo mix down there should be enough material [sound effects, etc] to create a very interesting 5.1 mix....especially with today's digital technology without altering the integrity of the original mix.

True enough !!(y)
One of the few Artist's that EVERYTHING would have been kept, alt mixes, etc. :sun
The Beatles are one of the biggest or are the BIGGEST investment in the audio industry I would think. £££, infinitum.

I have to be honest when I say that a 5.1 surround mix of "Sgt Pepper…" does not excite me very much.
I remember being very excited about the Blu-Ray releases of "Magical Mystery Tour" and "1+" and while each of those releases have their moments, the rest is a big disappointment, and I fear a 5.1 surround mix of "Sgt Pepper…" would be just that, a mostly mediocre mix with occasional sprinkles of good, discrete mixing.
I hope I am wrong…

I have to be honest when I say that a 5.1 surround mix of "Sgt Pepper…" does not excite me very much.
I remember being very excited about the Blu-Ray releases of "Magical Mystery Tour" and "1+" and while each of those releases have their moments, the rest is a big disappointment, and I fear a 5.1 surround mix of "Sgt Pepper…" would be just that, a mostly mediocre mix with occasional sprinkles of good, discrete mixing.
I hope I am wrong…

I agree with you Ryan.

I think it's more logical to expect a good sounding 5.1 mix made from songs recorded to eight tracks from 1968. We're basically talking about three albums and a handful of singles. I'd be happy if we got that.

Luckily we have Love to help us with our cravings.

I hope I am wrong…

I thought that the Sgt. Pepper 5.1 mixes that they did on Love are well done and sound very good. So I would hope that they could do the same with the remaining tracks. If we get another super compressed "let's make surround sound using a big speaker in the back of the room" like 1+ I'll buy it anyway and then post a video on You Tube of it aflame in my fire pit.

I thought that the Sgt. Pepper 5.1 mixes that they did on Love are well done and sound very good. So I would hope that they could do the same with the remaining tracks. If we get another super compressed "let's make surround sound using a big speaker in the back of the room" like 1+ I'll buy it anyway and then post a video on You Tube of it aflame in my fire pit.

The 5.1 remix of Sgt. Pepper tracks on the LOVE album was indeed superb and I would hope whoever is 'entrusted' with remixing the entire album would honor the integrity of George Martin's 'spirit.' Although son Giles assisted in remixing the LOVE album with his father, subsequent Giles Martin attempts at remixing the +1 album in surround clearly showed me, at least, that his esteemed dad indeed had the upper hand and ultimate skills necessary to showcase the Beatles remixes in a time honored fashion.

And let's be honest: screwing up a 5.1 remix of Sergeant Pepper might nix any future attempts to remix the Beatles catalog into multichannel.

And that's IF the rumors are true that the 50th anniversary reissue will indeed include a 5.1 remix!

I think Giles did more than assist. George Martin was profoundly deaf by that stage.

I think Giles did more than assist. George Martin was profoundly deaf by that stage.

From the LOVE liner notes:

[Sir George Martin]: "During the process [of remixing the LOVE album] I was asked to write a string score for an early take of George's poignant "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." I was aware of such a responsibility but thankfully everyone approved of the result. "Yesterday" was the first score I had written for a Beatle song way back in 1965 and this score, forty one years later, is the last."

I'm sure at Sir George's age during the LOVE remixing sessions his hearing was somewhat compromised but the results [and his poignant string score] certainly shows a man in full command of his prodigious skills.

They didn't refer to him as 'the FIFTH Beatle' for nothing!

Scoring and mixing not the same thing. Beethoven was deaf.

Quite true but based on Giles ultra conservative remixing for the +1 Beatles BD~Vs, do you really think Giles is 'a chip off the old block?' Or remotely [without sounding facetious], the 6th Beatle?

At any rate, IF the 5.1 remix of Sgt. Pepper does reach fruition, hopefully it will have the 'blessings' of Paul, Ringo, Yoko and Olivia who did have final say on the LOVE album.

Quite true but based on Giles ultra conservative remixing for the +1 Beatles BD~Vs, do you really think Giles is 'a chip off the old block?' Or remotely [without sounding facetious], the 6th Beatle?

I can't say I know what 6th Beatle status has to do with remixing, and with nobody able to work with all of the band I don't know who could get such a title. Remember George Martin was behind the 80s remixes of Help! and Rubber Soul which are not highly rated in some quarters. I haven't heard Giles' 5.1 mixes for +1, I've mainly read what's been posted here about them. For what it's worth, the only remix credit on Love is Paul Hicks as remix engineer.

Looks like there may be surround (conformation pending) for the "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue"...from the Daily Beatle:

"In other news, U.S. Beatles magazine Beatlefan brings forth rumours that the upcoming 50th anniversary edition of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" will include a new stereo mix of the album, a new surroundsound mix, and outtakes from the album sessions. Still no confirmation on this from official sources, so again...stay tuned!"

wogew.blogspot.no/2017/03/it-was-fifty-bonus-material.html

Looks like there may be surround (conformation pending) for the "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue"...from the Daily Beatle:

"In other news, U.S. Beatles magazine Beatlefan brings forth rumours that the upcoming 50th anniversary edition of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" will include a new stereo mix of the album, a new surroundsound mix, and outtakes from the album sessions. Still no confirmation on this from official sources, so again...stay tuned!"

wogew.blogspot.no/2017/03/it-was-fifty-bonus-material.html

Is that a reputable site? Guess I've never heard of it.

I remember all the hype when they transferred the original masters to HD digital. 24 bit 192k with Prism converters. The original mono and stereo master mix tapes.
And of course so far they have only released brick wall slammed and eq hyped reduced to CD versions of that. The sound is not good. Then added insult to injury with a "24 bit" release on a USB stick that turned out to be the same slammed and hyped garbage (still after the reduction to 44.1k but before the file sample size reduction to 16 bit).

So...
Will this release include the actual original mixes and in HD with no questionable portable device "mastering"? That would be my question.
I'd like to hear those sometime yet in this lifetime!

I'd love to hear a proper surround remix as much as anybody else around here obviously!
But seeing as they can't be bothered to even release the original mono and stereo mixes intact after all that hype I'm not holding my breath for that to ever happen.

I wish MFSL would have released a mono box back in the day!

The beauty of "Pepper" is that while the final multitrack master IS only 4-track, they recorded in stages. I believe the final Master to be either the third or fourth bounce. According to George Martin from years back, they DO have all the stage tapes. They went back to the stage tapes and digitally sync'd them for the 'Love' mixes. Depending on how many bounces they did, digitally you could have anywhere from 12 to 16 tracks!

Back