Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue (with 5.1 surround mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:yikes:yikes:yikes

OK, just went back to my original email from Amazon Canada, clicked on the order and....get ready...

MY ORDER HAS BEEN CANCELED. !!!! I didn't even get an email explanation.

Ditto here. Impatiently watching Amazon IT now if they can offer similar pricing as before...

:yikes:yikes:yikes

OK, just went back to my original email from Amazon Canada, clicked on the order and....get ready...

MY ORDER HAS BEEN CANCELED. !!!! I didn't even get an email explanation.

You were warned .

They have both availability and pricing issues. (Post #211)

Amazon.ca "IS NOT RELIABLE".

I avoid them like the plague.

"The album is newly mixed by Giles Martin and Sam Okell in stereo and 5.1 surround audio and expanded with early takes from the studio sessions, including no fewer than 34 previously unreleased recordings."

I thought we concluded there wasn't going to be a 5.1?

C'mon guys! There's a 50th anniversary thread that covers this, and a promo video from Universal/Apple. There is a 5.1 mix for Pepper and it's in the box set on DVD and Blu-ray.

I'm behind the curve on this one. The 2015 5.1 mix of Strawberry Fields, is that from 1+? Is it known to be a good mix? Y'know, discrete, immersive, etc.

Without reading the whole thread, I have a question based on information from a link to pledgemusic that Strawberry Fields is the 2015 5.1 mix.

I'm behind the curve on this one. The 2015 5.1 mix of Strawberry Fields, is that from 1+? Is it known to be a good mix? Y'know, discrete, immersive, etc. Seems like if it is, not much chance of Pepper not being up to that quality.

Without reading the whole thread, I have a question based on information from a link to pledgemusic that Strawberry Fields is the 2015 5.1 mix.

I'm behind the curve on this one. The 2015 5.1 mix of Strawberry Fields, is that from 1+? Is it known to be a good mix? Y'know, discrete, immersive, etc. Seems like if it is, not much chance of Pepper not being up to that quality.

From memory, the 5.1 surround mix of "Strawberry Fields Forever" on 1+ is not that impressive.
The 5.1 mix on the Beatles Anthology DVD was much better.

According to Giles ?

The BBC interviewer asked

THE QUAD mix of Sgt Pepper

"Did I reference the Quad Mix of Sgt. Pepper while making the new the 5.1Mix ? No I didn't..is the answer ! It wasn't done by the Beatles.......was it ? Again I go back to what they did and what they think. So no, I didn't .Nor did I know that it existed , so that's probably why (laughs) "

Ouch ! It's possibly gone , lost or erased forever . Too bad :rolleyes:

The full interview here , and" unlike 1+ the discrete 5.1 is fully immersive "

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/f...ed-sgt-pepper-unveiled-at-abbey-road-studios/

Edit :

I see you noted this already Ryan, sorry ! Fizzy apologizing :couch

Oh well it's worth commenting on , anyways .

I agree with the Kap'n. This board is a wonderful resource. I know I am guilty of taking it for granted sometimes, but I do want to offer my sincere thanks to Jon and the mods for all the work they put into it. It is by far the best MCH forum on the web.

To keep this on topic, can anyone point to any substantial evidence of quad mixes being created back in the 70's? Or is this all just a lot of speculation and wishful thinking?

IIRC there was a photo of the Pepper master reel box which stated that it was taken from the library for some quad work.

Need I remind everyone that just because the "Sgt Pepper" tapes appear to have been checked out sometime in the 70s for Quadraphonic mixing activity does not mean that a full Quadraphonic mix of the album was ever completed, and even if it was completed, it might not actually be that good.
Yes, sometimes certain Quad mixes were held back from release back in the 1970s, and they have since resurfaced to become sonic wonders on the new high-res surround formats (like "Spectrum" by Billy Cobham or "Eli and the Thirteenth Confession" by Laura Nyro)
Other times however an unreleased Quadraphonic mix is not all we had hoped it would be once we finally hear it. A few great examples of that would be the unreleased Quadraphonic mix of "Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll…" by Jethro Tull (which I personally think is an incoherent and muddy mess of a mix) or the Quadraphonic mix of "Echoes" by Pink Floyd (which has so much unnecessary pan pot action in it, it makes me seasick!)
I'm the kind of person that I would prefer them to just release anything and everything and let us (the listener) decide what we want to hear.
(I personally prefer the Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes of the Jethro Tull albums over the Quadraphonic mixes, but I like how they are now giving us the opportunity to hear both mixes of certain albums on the same release.)
However, I know that the Beatles are super anal and particular about what they release and how they want their legacy and their image (and brand) to be preserved. (And that's why we may never see a proper release of the "Let It Be" film until there's only one or no living Beatles left.) So I understand if the Beatles are not keen on releasing any Quadraphonic mixes that don't live up to their own standards.

But finally, in all honesty, I'm not sure many of us will yearn to hear any attempts at a Quadraphonic mix of "Sgt Pepper" if the 5.1 surround mix really is a winner!

Thanks for reading.

:)

IIRC there was a photo of the Pepper master reel box which stated that it was taken from the library for some quad work.

Yes, it was a photo of the stereo master reel. They faked a quad mix, and it never came out for a good reason.

The rumor that an attempt was made to mix PEPPER in quad dates back to the '70s when Capitol began putting out Q8's. Given the company's track record in that regard, it was probably just as well it was either never finished, experimental, or shelved. This upcoming release, with modern technology, has the potential to be a lot of discrete fun. BUT...there is the Giles factor, and one can only hope he treated PEPPER better than the 1967-70 tracks used for you-know-what....

If EMI had been serious about putting out any Beatles in quad back in the day, the logical choice would have been not PEPPER, but ABBEY ROAD, also an extremely popular album with plenty of sales and superior mix potential. But as we got few EMI pop/rock quads on vinyl, the odds of it being Q8 only were high, and given the sound quality of 8-track, would likely have been disappointing anyway.

Well, we shall soon hear....

ED :)

Although my Canadian Amazon order was cancelled........I will probably get this anyway at regular prices because this remains a magical album for me part of my childhood. I am hoping they don't blow it with the 5.1 mix.
Why cant they do what Monster does and offer alternative mixes to choice from?

Anyways like Leevitalone I don't get FB don't like it but always come here. QQ has helped to relieve my wallet of many dollars for surround releases I never knew existed and yes I learned about OPPO here too.

Thank you Jon for keeping this site going. I do not know what I would do if it disappeared one day.

Does anyone know if the 5.1 mixes on the DVD and Bluray discs are the album or the making of the album video? Not a huge Beatles fan more of a Stones kinda guy (yeah, yeah, I know blasphemy...) but really love St-Peppers and would consider getting this reissue when released if the actual album is available in 5.1...

Does anyone know if the 5.1 mixes on the DVD and Bluray discs are the album or the making of the album video? Not a huge Beatles fan more of a Stones kinda guy (yeah, yeah, I know blasphemy...) but really love St-Peppers and would consider getting this reissue when released if the actual album is available in 5.1...

It's the actual album in 5.1 surround, plus bonus 5.1 mixes of "Strawberry Fields Forever" and "Penny Lane"

:)

Back