Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue (with 5.1 surround mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a Beatle freak like me it's magical. Kinda takes you right back 50 years ago...what it was like for those guys. Paul's vocals and the chorus sure sound good.

Yes on the vocals you can hear the energy and emotion put into it. Can you imagine, how many times they did the same part? And The energy is still there. That is why they are the greatest R& R band ever.

Now, this is the one where the relationship with George Martin really shines...here's this handful of kids in a candy store, with a specific idea of what their songs should sound like, NO idea when to stop inventing and just producing, and here's this sage on the other side of the glass, giving them marching orders, on how to play the songs in the boys' heads...even though he probably doesn't get 80% of what they're going for.

And they all came up with not only a statement that had never been done in the history of pop recording on this scale...but by all reports, it was the music they'd intended on making! Even if you have other Beatles albums you prefer (and OH, we do...!), you cannot write off this as anything but the biggest achievement of their association.

Hardly an outtake. That's the finished take, omitting the overdub tracks.

The master 4-track has the following layout:

Band Track
Vocal Track
Lead Guitar/Horn Track
Crowd Noise Track

I could recreate that from the copy of the multitrack that I have sans the chatter at the end.

It's an addiction I tell ya!! :D

:yikes My huge Credit Card bill that's just arrived agrees, Burning Shed have done very well, just on the 5.1 pre-orders Beatles - Sgt. Peppers, Antony Philips - Slow Dance, Anathema - The Optimist, Jethro Tull - Songs From The Wood. Then there are the Magenta 5.1s...............

I'm only really interested in the 5.1 mix. Too bad it's not available as a standalone purchase. Only option is to fork over close to $200 to purchase the one configuration that includes the multichannel mix along with a 4 discs I'm never going to listen to.

Burning question, will the Good Morning rooster be panned to front speaker? :)

I'm only really interested in the 5.1 mix. Too bad it's not available as a standalone purchase. Only option is to fork over close to $200 to purchase the one configuration that includes the multichannel mix along with a 4 discs I'm never going to listen to.

I see lots 'o folks dumping their duplicate discs from this set on the used market. Don't pay $200 unless you want the box.

I bought both the Tusk and Mirage box and then resold the rest of the box on Amazon for $20 less than the price of the whole set. I will do the same with this set.

I see lots 'o folks dumping their duplicate discs from this set on the used market. Don't pay $200 unless you want the box.

Yeah, I'm undecided whether I will be keeping all the "extras". We'll see how I feel about it once I open the set. I currently have 2 sets on order and really need to come to grips on if I keep both or cancel one of the orders. I know what my bank account says.... :yikes

As much as I love Sgt. Pepper, this is one box set I'll sit out until proper reviews of the 5.1 remix are established.

I'm sure Universal won't skimp on mass producing this title and prices will eventually plummet.

Of course, a stand alone BD~A would be most appreciated but doubtful Universal will release this 'hottie' devoid of the boxset.:yikes

As much as I love Sgt. Pepper, this is one box set I'll sit out until proper reviews of the 5.1 remix are established.

I'm sure Universal won't skimp on mass producing this title and prices will eventually plummet.

Of course, a stand alone BD~A would be most appreciated but doubtful Universal will release this 'hottie' devoid of the boxset.:yikes

Wow, I'm surprised you're waiting. :mad:@:

Wow, I'm surprised you're waiting. :mad:@:

I'm sure, like yourself, we have uber multiple copies of Sgt. Pepper on Vinyl, RBCD, and I also have the 96/44.1 'stick' of all the Beatle's 17 albums.

Will Giles & Company come through and make the 5.1 remix EXTRA Special or will it be one of those tame affairs?

I've prematurely pulled the trigger many times on expensive boxsets only to be burned.

Gene, I'm sure this is NOT one of those titles that will disappear overnight. And it wouldn't hurt to wait a week or two until QQers cast their votes regarding their assessment of the 5.1 remix....especially considering having to wait almost 50 years for the multichannel remix of this landmark album.

Yeah this is one time 4 Ears and I are in agreement. Within 10 days after release these sets will be everywhere. Even at your local Best Buy or Costco. By then you will know if the mix is any good and just as importantly, if there are any quality control problems. Its been a 50 year wait, what's 2 more weeks?

Yeah this is one time 4 Ears and I are in agreement. Within 10 days after release these sets will be everywhere. Even at your local Best Buy or Costco. By then you will know if the mix is any good and just as importantly, if there are any quality control problems. Its been a 50 year wait, what's 2 more weeks?

Or they could sell out worldwide and some will be completely out of luck unless they're willing to pay a ransom on Discogs. :(

Or they could sell out worldwide and some will be completely out of luck unless they're willing to pay a ransom on Discogs. :(

Oh, well!:mad:@:

Universal paid more than $2B for the Capitol pop catalogue....doubtful they'll skimp on Sgt. Pepper boxset releases.

And if it sells well [which I'm sure it will] they'll start remixing the entire Beatles catalogue into 5.1 (or 4.0).:banana:

And then, re~release it YET again in Dolby Atmos or Auro 3D 9.0:yikes

I H-EAR you man. As in 4-ear you. I am so enamored with the whole box set I just can't wait. There are a few bands that make me crazy with excitement...and The Beatles and Sabbath are 2 of them.

I H-EAR you man. As in 4-ear you. I am so enamored with the whole box set I just can't wait. There are a few bands that make me crazy with excitement...and The Beatles and Sabbath are 2 of them.

Gene, day and date of release, I purchased the Open Reel of Sgt. Pepper at a local Sam Goody. Much to my dismay, it was duplicated at 3 3/4 ips but for the price I paid [$4.49] I wasn't all THAT disappointed but unfortunately, since most of the Rock Open Reel tapes at the time were released on 7 1/2 ips tapes, the fidelity just wasn't up to par.

Oh, well!:mad:@:

Universal paid more than $2B for the Capitol pop catalogue....doubtful they'll skimp on Sgt. Pepper boxset releases.

And if it sells well [which I'm sure it will] they'll start remixing the entire Beatles catalogue into 5.1 (or 4.0).:banana:

And then, re~release it YET again in Dolby Atmos or Auro 3D 9.0:yikes

Agreed. I'm sure we'll be seeing these going for the usual $40 - $60 on amazon weeks after the initial release. They will milk this one for all its worth.

So why did I pre-order at over $200 CDN? I'm a sucker for good music.

Funny you mention remixing of entire catalogue...wouldn't that would be amazing!!! I read on SHF that some are considering purchasing their first 5.1 systems because of the Sgt. Pepper 5.1 release. What's good for the industry is good for us.

Back