Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue (with 5.1 surround mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul Sinclair (from Super Deluxe Edition) has written a very thorough review of the 5.1 mix here:
http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/r...surround-sound-mix-of-the-beatles-sgt-pepper/

10 tracks (including "Penny Lane") are labeled as having 'Good' 5.1 mixes
3 tracks are labeled as having 'Very Good' 5.1 mixes
Finally 2 tracks are labeled as having 'Stunning' 5.1 mixes (and one of them is "Strawberry Fields Forever")

In closing:

More at the link above.

What is Sinclair's history with reviewing multi-channel titles? I really don't know. Does he have a thorough appreciation for MC? Or, more of a stereo/mono sort of guy?

What is Sinclair's history with reviewing multi-channel titles? I really don't know. Does he have a thorough appreciation for MC? Or, more of a stereo/mono sort of guy?

He's definitely a fan of 5.1 surround, but I definitely have found him to be a more honest and open reviewer all around, compared to someone like Mike Mettler, who despite his love for surround sound, tends to be very soft and forgiving when reviewing certain releases.
Mettler was especially generous when it came to reviewing "1+" and that's what made me very leery of his reviews from that point on...

He's definitely a fan of 5.1 surround, but I definitely have found him to be a more honest and open reviewer all around, compared to someone like Mike Mettler, who despite his love for surround sound, tends to be very soft and forgiving when reviewing certain releases.
Mettler was especially generous when it came to reviewing "1+" and that's what made me very leery of his reviews from that point on...

Good, that sounds promising. :)
I'm pretty excited about this. And....for the first time, I will be giving a close listen to the stereo mixes. All around, should be a good release.

I was quite surprised to receive this from ImportCDs this afternoon, three days early. Can't wait to give it a listen this evening..

WOW, and everyone's always knocking ImportCD for their slow service. Hopefully, you'll give us a full review. Thanks in advance.

BTW, regarding Paul Sinclair's review of the 5.1 remix: More or less what I expected. And as Sinclair surmised......Giles Martin on his own without his father George's input is a lot more conservative in remixing for 5.1. Hopefully, that will change when Giles tackles The White Album [more multitracks to work with].

Where are importCD shipping points? Sure seems odd that Canada would get theirs 3 days early....unless they are from Canada. :yikes

All I know is that it's a US based company. And somehow, DeepDiscount and ImportCD are connected. I just placed a rather large order with DeepDiscount when they had their 15% off sale and I received my order in about 3 working days [FREE shipping/NO sales Tax]. ImportCD is still the best place for Audio Fidelity SACDs....period!(y)

I just read the SDE review and cancelled my order. I have shelves of surround sound recordings that are outstanding. I have no more room for so-so offerings of that may only get a couple of airings...

"Love" and "Yellow Submarine" (which are outstanding) will just have to do...

With that said..I hope everyone who did order it really loves it. I look forward to reading your reviews..

In the meantime..I just saved 188.00 Canadian...

All I know is that it's a US based company. And somehow, DeepDiscount and ImportCD are connected. I just placed a rather large order with DeepDiscount when they had their 15% off sale and I received my order in about 3 working days [FREE shipping/NO sales Tax]. ImportCD is still the best place for Audio Fidelity SACDs....period!(y)

Yeah, but it makes little sense that any vendor would be shipping so early that some receive them 3 days ahead of release. I dunno. :mad:@::mad:@:

Yeah, but it makes little sense that any vendor would be shipping so early that some receive them 3 days ahead of release. I dunno. :mad:@::mad:@:

Probably one of those rare flukes. Usually, when it comes to Japanese SACDs, ImportCD and Deep Discount don't ship them out until well after they're released in Japan.

Don't lose any sleep over it, Gene. You'll Get Yours! Wonder when I'll receive mine from Music Direct?

I ordered mine from Deep Discount. (When they were having a 15% off sale last week it brought the price down to $107.09 + shipping, the best price I could find at the time.) They just sent me a shipping notification. Given how long it usually takes them, if I'm lucky, I'll have it Saturday. Otherwise Monday is likely.

Probably one of those rare flukes. Usually, when it comes to Japanese SACDs, ImportCD and Deep Discount don't ship them out until well after they're released in Japan.

Don't lose any sleep over it, Gene. You'll Get Yours! Wonder when I'll receive mine from Music Direct?

Funny thing was, yesterday I received a shipping notice stating "international shipping, usually 8 -15 days", then it arrives today via DHL. Had a quick listen and wasn't overly impressed with the title song, then things got better, much better. The ratings above (Paul Sinclair) don't sound far off. It's not reference level, but I'm really enjoying this.

Funny thing was, yesterday I received a shipping notice stating "international shipping, usually 8 -15 days", then it arrives today via DHL. Had a quick listen and wasn't overly impressed with the title song, then things got better, much better. The ratings above (Paul Sinclair) don't sound far off. It's not reference level, but I'm really enjoying this.

So, again - you've not clarified. You purchased the deluxe box? And, your comments are about the multi-channel?

I know, I Know. But unless it's spelled out, there is always doubt. :)

RE: SDE review......hmmmm.....for the asking price I was expecting a stunning 5.1 mix. If anyone else has it and can share their thoughts on the MC content...much appreciated.

Back