Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue (with 5.1 surround mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[What do you think of "Love"? Not the edits, but the sound quality and mix.]

For me, the "Love" disc is an incredible experimental foray into the surround sound experience and few mixes can match it. The SGT Pepper disc can't match it, but I'm not sure that is a fair comparison. What I do hear on the Pepper mix is harmonizing vocals along with other sounds and effects in the rears, actually very enjoyable stuff. If the Love disc had not come out before Pepper, I think people would be much easier on the pepper mix..To simplify, "Love" spoiled us all.

Why is that not a fair comparison?

[And what bass management issues are you referring to? I have no problem setting mine up and keeping it in good tune.]

When dvd audio first came out, I purchased a Sony ES digital surround preamp and paired it with separate amps. When it was set up to 5.1 and digital management, it seemed like I was always going through menu's to adjust the LFE channel (problem solved with a 4.0 system). Then there are the discs out there that have zero or little info in the LFE channel so that expensive subwoofer aint got nothin to do. The Moody Blues SACD's) are a prime example of this! I don't know how you listen to discs like this is if you have small right and left front channels that are bass shy. When I had my 5.1 set up, I remember taking a feed from an extra RCA out on the Oppo and routing it to the LFE, which sounded pretty good with the Moodies discs.` My LFE channel set up consisted of a JBL L212 System sub and I didn't have room to set it right in the middle of the front speakers along with the center channel, so it was off to the side. Bass is supposed to be "non-directional" but if it isn't centered between the front speakers it always sounded to me like it was off balanced to the side the sub was on and it made me wish I had a balance control to adjust it (problem solved with a 4.0 system). Now, a good 4.0 system might require a player that folds the bass and center correctly into the right and left channels and the OPPO surely does that. By reading your posts, I can see you are a really knowledgeble surround guy and a real hobbyist, but there are number of posts on forums of people having trouble with these complex modern systems, including getting their bass properly set up. If manufacturers had stayed with 4.0 and simplified it to "plug and play" maybe we wouldn't be a "niche" group of misfits. Since I got rid of my center and LFE, I have not noticed any detrimental effects to the surround sound field and seem to enjoy my 5.1 music (and I guess 7.1) just as much as before, not to mention that it sure took a lot of extra stuff out of my room. My 4 large speakers are Jbl Horizons and JBL L112's (all 12" 3 ways). The fronts are on stands and the rears are built into the back wall (all are ear level). At any rate, thanks for your post, i enjoyed reading it. Getting other viewpoints is what makes this forum great.

The Chicago Quadio is one of the best examples of how full range rears make all the difference. The bass coming from the rears on those quad mixed albums are a thing of beauty. Redirecting all that wonderful bass to a single module in front is a compromise I am not willing to make.

So many mixes I thaught were only OK on my old bass managed system (small rears) now really shine. Hearing is believing. I have attempted to put into words what I am hearing differently in comparison on my earlier posts but it isn't easy.

[Why is that not a fair comparison?]

The Love mix sounds to me like the engineer(s) were given the project with free reign to do whatever they wanted to do. The Pepper thread has a theme running through it that seems to suggest the engineer(s) were restricted on what they could do, as if a more aggressive mix would somehow devalue the original mix or would take away from the original artist's work.

The Chicago Quadio is one of the best examples of how full range rears make all the difference. The bass coming from the rears on those quad mixed albums are a thing of beauty. Redirecting all that wonderful bass to a single module in front is a compromise I am not willing to make.

Chances are the 'bass' you hear directionally is the high-frequency parts of the signal, e.g the leading edge of a plucked bass or a kick drum pedal hitting the skin. For the bass region itself (i.e everything below ~80 Hz), a subwoofer may or may not outperform that setup. There are many variables, including the room, the listening position, the locations and number of the bass driver(s) in the room, the distortion characteristics of the bass loudspeaker (which sets the level at which content can be played before higher-frequency distortion products become directional cues), the crossover setting, the slope of the crossover, whether a sub is ported or not. Also, frequencies that are localizable when listened to *only* over a subwoofer (nobody does that, I hope) becomes nonlocalizable when joined to the rest of the signal, coming from the main loudspeakers (another of the many masking effects involved in audio).

Last edited:
[Why is that not a fair comparison?]

The Love mix sounds to me like the engineer(s) were given the project with free reign to do whatever they wanted to do. The Pepper thread has a theme running through it that seems to suggest the engineer(s) were restricted on what they could do, as if a more aggressive mix would somehow devalue the original mix or would take away from the original artist's work.
I am sure everybody knows that the LOVE mix was made first and foremost for the Cirque Du Soleil show in Las Vegas and then made available to the public in a audio recording, CD/ Surround, etc. The aggressive mix that we all love is for show first, listening second. I highly doubt we will ever see the same type of mix on any other Beatles recordings, unless of course another Las Vegas show is invented.
See Link:
https://www.cirquedusoleil.com/beatles-love

Chances are the 'bass' you hear directionally is the high-frequency parts of the signal, e.g the leading edge of a plucked bass or a kick drum pedal hitting the skin. For the bass region itself (i.e everything below ~80 Hz), a subwoofer may or may not outperform that setup. There are many variables, including the room, the listening position, the locations and number of the bass driver(s) in the room, the distortion characteristics of the bass loudspeaker (which sets the level at which content can be played before higher-frequency distortion products become directional cues), the crossover setting, the slope of the crossover, whether a sub is ported or not. Also, frequencies that are localizable when listened to *only* over a subwoofer (nobody does that, I hope) becomes nonlocalizable when joined to the rest of the signal, coming from the main loudspeakers (another of the many masking effects involved in audio).

Not from my experience. I have been messing with subs both in my house and cars for over 30 years.

Ever heard a truly high end car stereo with subs mounted in the front of the car in addition to the rear of the vehicle? Really takes it to the next level and balances out the entire system. Takes massive amounts of man hours and expertise but the results are not subtle. Although I don't agree with what YOU hear, thanks for posting.

Not from my experience. I have been messing with subs both in my house and cars for over 30 years.

Ever heard a truly high end car stereo with subs mounted in the front of the car in addition to the rear of the vehicle? Really takes it to the next level and balances out the entire system. Takes massive amounts of man hours and expertise but the results are not subtle. Although I don't agree with what YOU hear, thanks for posting.

Um....ok, but I'm not anti-subwoofer in the least, and I wasn't talking about car audio, I was addressing the reasons why a low bass source could be 'localized' by the listener generally. The part you bolded, whether you personally 'believe' it or not, is well established psychoacoustics.

Um....ok, but I'm not anti-subwoofer in the least, and I wasn't talking about car audio, I was addressing the reasons why a low bass source could be 'localized' by the listener generally. The part you bolded, whether you personally 'believe' it or not, is well established psychoacoustics.

No way. Not even close. Thanks for posting what you hear however.

Also, frequencies that are localizable when listened to *only* over a subwoofer (nobody does that, I hope) becomes nonlocalizable when joined to the rest of the signal, coming from the main loudspeakers (another of the many masking effects involved in audio).

I do. In my experience, this can be minimized by using multiple subwoofers versus one. I say minimized or eliminated (to my ears) dependant on brand/model used. Otherwise, I agree with the rest of your Post I deleted. :)

I do. In my experience, this can be minimized by using multiple subwoofers versus one. I say minimized or eliminated (to my ears) dependant on brand/model used. Otherwise, I agree with the rest of your Post I deleted. :)

One centered in front and one centered in back is much better than one in a corner for sure!

I have done that but I still prefer to treat each channel as equally important and run full range, whether that be large three ways or multiple subs. Stereo subs for the rears and another sub for the dot one channel works very well. No redirecting of bass so you get the full range of sound from each of the four corners like quadraphonic was originally intended.

There is a lot of information and misinformation regarding bass frequencies and what is the correct way. Personally, I think you can do bass well with using either full range loudspeakers (which I miss since having to return to a sat/sub setup in the size of room in my new place) or dedicated subwoofers placed strategically around the room.

Sorry to be OT. So, I will add that I hope to finally open this still sealed set very soon.

It seems that those who waited to buy could have saved a few bucks. But what happens that one time you wait...only to discover in horror that the particular item has sold out and can only be found at a premium? Well, by ordering early, one at least gets to participate in all the exciting QQ bantering regarding the mix, sound, innuendo about the principals influence, etc.

It seems that those who waited to buy could have saved a few bucks. But what happens that one time you wait...only to discover in horror that the particular item has sold out and can only be found at a premium? Well, by ordering early, one at least gets to participate in all the exciting QQ bantering regarding the mix, sound, innuendo about the principals influence, etc.

That's true...BUT...one advantage is that if the surround is a flop...you avoided it....and if you really look around the "premium" you pay doesn't have to be that much...

That's true...BUT...one advantage is that if the surround is a flop...you avoided it....and if you really look around the "premium" you pay doesn't have to be that much...

So true, especially avoiding a surround mix that turns out to be a flop...but then there is the excuse to buy the package to get a high resolution stereo remix. :banana:

So true, especially avoiding a surround mix that turns out to be a flop...but then there is the excuse to buy the package to get a high resolution stereo remix. :banana:

Ah yes...the classic rationalization move...here is my favorite analogy of that maneuver

[video=youtube;X9FJiDFVoOo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9FJiDFVoOo[/video]

I am very happy that I went in for Sgt. Pepper's. No, it isn't the world's greatest surround mix.
But, it is an album that Mrs. Baggins and I really love and Martin's mix does sound awesome, sonically.
We're hearing things we never have before and we're just having fun with it. It has received many plays since it arrived. It might be our most-played surround disc, in terms of frequency right out of the gate.
The Amazon Warehouse Deals thing really helped out. I was able to get a copy pretty cheap, strip the BD out and sell the rest of the packaging. This left me with ~$20 in cost for the disc. I then picked up another copy and put it up on eBay for a reasonable cost, but above the Warehouse Deals price, further reducing the cost of my BD to a few bucks.
This can't be done for every album, but deals can be had if one gets creative and a little lucky.

Hey Y'all:
I've been out of the loop because of financial difficulties. It started about the time that Sgt Pepper was being released. I read some reviews at the time and noticed some were not enthusiastic about the surround mix. I ordered it anyway, but my credit card denied the sale. I took this as a sign that I needed to just forget about it. Well, all that has passed, and now I'm interested again. So what are your general impressions about the surround mix on Sgt Pepper, and is it worth the exorbitant price? I don't care if it doesn't have swirling sound effects going around the room, but I would like a discrete sounding mix. The stereo CD album decodes well on my Audionics Space and Image Composer, and I would want it to be better than the stereo version over the Audionics in SQ mode. (stereo enhance mode quit working a while back) And it does have a DVD-A in surround doesn't it? My Oppo Blue Ray player quit, and I had to go back to my older Pioneer DVD-A player. So, I guess the question is, Is the surround mix better than a SQ decoded stereo copy, and is it better enough to make it worth the price? Are the instruments in different speakers? Is there good separation? Or does it sound like it's all glommed together?
Thank you to all who reply, and I apologize for not having the time and patience to read all the old posts. Thank you,
The Quadfather

P.S. Merry Christmas to all y'all!
Also, what is the catalog number of the correct set? I want to make sure I get the right one.

Hey Y'all:
I've been out of the loop because of financial difficulties. It started about the time that Sgt Pepper was being released. I read some reviews at the time and noticed some were not enthusiastic about the surround mix. I ordered it anyway, but my credit card denied the sale. I took this as a sign that I needed to just forget about it. Well, all that has passed, and now I'm interested again. So what are your general impressions about the surround mix on Sgt Pepper, and is it worth the exorbitant price? I don't care if it doesn't have swirling sound effects going around the room, but I would like a discrete sounding mix. The stereo CD album decodes well on my Audionics Space and Image Composer, and I would want it to be better than the stereo version over the Audionics in SQ mode. (stereo enhance mode quit working a while back) And it does have a DVD-A in surround doesn't it? My Oppo Blue Ray player quit, and I had to go back to my older Pioneer DVD-A player. So, I guess the question is, Is the surround mix better than a SQ decoded stereo copy, and is it better enough to make it worth the price? Are the instruments in different speakers? Is there good separation? Or does it sound like it's all glommed together?
Thank you to all who reply, and I apologize for not having the time and patience to read all the old posts. Thank you,
The Quadfather

P.S. Merry Christmas to all y'all!
Also, what is the catalog number of the correct set? I want to make sure I get the right one.

Yes......It's worth it. It's Beatles masterpiece afterall. They did very good in surround for a four track master ( and possibly bits and pieces of other tape)

Some tunes are Deluxe for my 2 cents. (y)

Back