Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue (with 5.1 surround mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes i noticed that from looking at Jon's waveform pics (mono rears on some tracks, maybe!?) plus it looks to me like either the front channels have been mastered louder than the rears (bit like the Bowie Station To Station 5.1) or it was just mixed that way?

As I noted in an earlier post, I prefer to listen to the 5.1 with the surrounds cranked up a bit...anywhere from 3 to 5dB above my reference level. YMMV, but give it a try.

I listened to the 5.1 last night - though unfortunately I had company and I wasn't really paying attention. Regardless, I could easily tell that the "punch" was there. Nothing thin sounding about this. For that, I was impressed. After I get off work today, I'll sit in my favorite spot and listen. :)

Made the mistake of having a margarita with dinner last night. I'm glad someone else could drive. Anyway, when I got home I went to bed and played the DTS version. Even with the horrible speaker placement in the bedroom and the lossy encoding, I could tell there was more clarity than ever before. Staying awake was not in the cards, alas.

This morning I played the lossless Strawberry/Penny and "side two" on the much better listening setup because, perversely, "Within You Without You" has become my favorite song on the album over the years. Had I mixed it, I probably would have made it crazier, but I'm not going to complain about what's there. It's definitely not just big stereo.

The most alarming thing about it is that it made me realize I can no longer hear the 15kHz dog whistle at the end. I hear the tape hiss where it's supposed to be...

Not sure where I am at with my CDJapan order, they wanted more shipping money, I responded with an OK and no response. I have been using them for a few years now and they have been flawless to this point, I'll just hang in there, but wishing I had my Pepper box to play with this weekend. Oh well, I will go deeper into Songs from The Wood.

Made the mistake of having a margarita with dinner last night...

The most alarming thing about it is that it made me realize I can no longer hear the 15kHz dog whistle at the end. I hear the tape hiss where it's supposed to be...

Don't worry atrocity. Your high frequency hearing will get worse and worse as you age, but the margaritas will still taste great.

I've been patiently waiting and getting less and less patient with every post I read on this thread, but by a miracle it arrived from Bull Moose this afternoon. I'm half-way through my first listen.

This is easily the most elaborate deluxe packaging I have ever purchased. I never bought the Pink Floyd boxes, and I only had Layla for a short time. The Aqualung box was great, but still pales in comparison.

I am currently within "Within You Without You." It's a wonderful time to be a music collector.

I've been patiently waiting and getting less and less patient with every post I read on this thread, but by a miracle it arrived from Bull Moose this afternoon. I'm half-way through my first listen.

This is easily the most elaborate deluxe packaging I have ever purchased. I never bought the Pink Floyd boxes, and I only had Layla for a short time. The Aqualung box was great, but still pales in comparison.

I am currently within "Within You Without You." It's a wonderful time to be a music collector.

Your post about receiving yours today from Moose made me check my tracking again. Yesterday it said I'd receive on Tuesday....but now it says out for delivery! Wow...
Yeah, I know...the Moose is delivering my second copy. Geeze, I sort of feel guilty for all of you that don't have it yet...and I'm getting my 2nd set today.
:violin :banana::banana::banana::banana: OK, I don't feel guilty. Hee!

Mine arrived today. I have never had Deep Discount get me something so soon after a release date, so I was very happy when the mailman brought it today.

After one listen I can say that I think the reviews I've read are pretty accurate. There are places (such as the title track) where I can understand why Giles went with a more conservative approach but others ("She's Leaving Home") where I wish he had been a bit more adventurous. Fidelity-wise, it does sound wonderful. Can't wait to dig in to all the extras.

Yep, box set delivered from the Moose. This copy had an additional large envelope taped to the outside of the box. I assumed it was for padding. Opened it and it had a "cardboard" Poster inside. A nice gesture, only it was all torn and creased in several places. Oh well...

I got back from my business trip in the early hours of this morning, a 4.5hr flight followed by a 3 hr drive (but I must have been on one of the last BA flights before their worldwide computer network crashed :) ). So I went to the Royal Mail sorting office this morning to get my Sgt. Pepper's to discover Parcelforce don't leave it there they leave parcels at the Post Office .............which was closed. So I'll have to wait until Tuesday as Monday is a Bank Holiday in the UK :( To top it off I had to pay £4.37 VAT & £8 tax handling charge to get my Ian Cooke 5.1 set :(:(. But I do have my copy of Songs from the Wood :) but too knackered to listen to it :violin

Edit: In my half asleep state I'd forgotten that the Royal Mail and the Post Office are too separate entities! Doesn't excuse the PO for being shut though!

Not sure where I am at with my CDJapan order, they wanted more shipping money, I responded with an OK and no response. I have been using them for a few years now and they have been flawless to this point, I'll just hang in there, but wishing I had my Pepper box to play with this weekend. Oh well, I will go deeper into Songs from The Wood.

You're post spurred me to check on my AmazonJP tracking.
Cleared Customs in LA at 8:24 this morning.
Looks like I might still get it Tuesday

The good Lord doesn't seem to think I'm too old for this sort of thing....but I'm sitting with my wife at the hospital while she's in labor with our daughter. What better way to pass the time? I played DSOTM for our son's birth and I do believe this little girl will come into the world hearing SPLCHB! :)

I feel your pain! I still haven't ordered "Songs From The Wood" yet. It's especially troubling because I keep reading nothing but good about it. :mad:@:

Yep, box set delivered from the Moose. This copy had an additional large envelope taped to the outside of the box. I assumed it was for padding. Opened it and it had a "cardboard" Poster inside. A nice gesture, only it was all torn and creased in several places. Oh well...

Send that Poster back to them with a derogatory note. :howl:ugham:

Back