Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue (with 5.1 surround mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys. I've had my ups and downs over at SHF, been a long time member, been a Gort, been banned (sort of a self ban), and gone back. The place is very passionate, shall we say, and there are many many good members over there that I happen to like a lot, and have for a long time. Doesn't mean that everyone is a buddy, but that never happens on the internet.

They all have their opinions and they have no trouble beating you to death with them, over and over, but hey - that's the internet. There is no need to trash the place just because there are a few rowdy's. We have our share as well.

Let's not bash the place. We have enough issues of our own to start calling out other forums. K?

Hey guys. I've had my ups and downs over at SHF, been a long time member, been a Gort, been banned (sort of a self ban), and gone back. The place is very passionate, shall we say, and there are many many good members over there that I happen to like a lot, and have for a long time. Doesn't mean that everyone is a buddy, but that never happens on the internet.

They all have their opinions and they have no trouble beating you to death with them, over and over, but hey - that's the internet. There is no need to trash the place just because there are a few rowdy's. We have our share as well.

Let's not bash the place. We have enough issues of our own to start calling out other forums. K?

Heh, heh....sorry bout that. :)

The first two tracks of the stereo remix, along with outtakes for them both, are on Spotify. (At least in the UK.)

I thought I would mention a few things about obtaining the Peppers release...it seems my old habits have surfaced...I always love to "chase the deal"....well this time my approach was completely different....I wanted to get it on the release date...and boy was I surprised at what I discovered...another poster on this thread mentioned he was going to head to Best Buy on the release date..I believe it was Seilerbird...I was shocked to find out that my local Best Buy wasn't going to have it available...the store close to me is a high volume store and has a Magnolia in it and it's not going to carry the deluxe version!...they are going to have at least one of the cheaper versions...I'm not exactly living in the boondocks...to be sure I called the corporate office and the website and it's only available on the website...I actually went to the store and the manager looked on his internal software and he confirmed that some cheaper versions would be in the store...but not the deluxe version...so if any of you plan on going to your local Best Buy I would advise calling first...maybe it's just my area...but I doubt it...

So my next move for a local purchase was Barnes & Noble....they had it on their website for $124.99 with free shipping and I would have to pay tax..and they wouldn't ship it until the release date.....so I called their corporate office and they said it was up to the individual stores to order it....so I called my local store and he said they would have 1 copy "for display" purposes...he said he could order one for me and hold it at the store BUT he would have to charge me the retail price..$149.99 and of course tax would be involved...he was a nice guy and I explained to him that I was trying to support my local block and mortar store and pay a little more than online prices to get it on the release date... but that was too much over online deals like Music Direct...he understood and said the managers of these stores have tried to explain it to their bosses but they aren't supporting the brick and mortar stores and are probably just giving them lip service with the end goal of becoming a total online business...

My next local attempt was at Target...I shop there often and it's so close to me...their website had a competitive price of $117.99 with free shipping and if you have a store RED CARD(Target Debit or Credit Card)you get an additional 5% off...so that would take care of most of my sales tax(7%)...but they weren't sending the deluxe versions to their stores...so I called the corporate office and asked when they would ship it...and it wouldn't be shipped until the release date and might take a week or so...so I was out of local options

I first went with Bullmoose...then switched to Music Direct when the 20% discount was offered...and for some reason I wanted this release sooner...I usually just wait and go with the lowest price...but then I remembered my old friend...amazon....I had some credit on there that I had to use anyway... and I decided to step into the role of GOS...MR. PRIME TIME...GOS is addicted to amazon prime...don't let him tell you anything else..so after the $19 credit my order came to $115.88 and I will get it on the release date..which I paid $8.98 for the release date arrival instead of the free shipping...

So the moral of this story is that even though I live in a decent sized city I couldn't just walk into a retail store and buy this classic release...and another thing I noticed during this research is that most people never knew about this release...one of the surprise elements of this journey is that in the Target "music" department they mentioned that they did carry a deluxe version of "some country star"...but to this generation I guess the Beatles didn't make the cut:(

Ordered from BullMoose on 4/4 and chose the expedited shipping option for 125.00, too important to not pay a little extra. I can receive it sooner. When did they close their pre-orders ? Hmmm.. thinking a Friday delivery.....

.I'm not exactly living in the boondocks...
I don't know but you say you live at the location of International Space Station, that's pretty much the boondocks, where I come from. :mad:@:

I found out a few days ago that the local Barnes and Noble near work's getting one copy in[it's spoken for] and with the 20 percent off coupon I have plus the 10 percent member discount it should cost no more than[approximately]$120 or thereabouts with tax.

Ten years ago, Best Buy would have an entire display at the front of the store with all versions of this release, along with special exclusive editions with extra stuff and a highlight on the front page of their weekly sales flyer, but alas, the days of music being a tangible product are almost over. Us old guys care but no one under 30 seems to.

I had a set of Vandersteen speakers that I haven't used in a while so I offered them to my nephew who is almost 30 and was brought up with music playing all of the time. He asked "Are they Bluetooth?". Um, no, they're speakers. He can't use them because he'd have to get a receiver/amp and some sort of music player. People his age don't do that anymore.

Stores would rather stock mattresses than CDs. I can always tell when a former "good store" makes the turn into oblivion - when they start selling mattresses. :)

Snood thinking they gonna hit this one out of the park! They just have tooooooooooooooooooo :banana::banana:

Might not be Dark Side Moon 10 Great but will take an 8 or 9 Great :banana:

Snood sprang for the vinyl also :rolleyes:

I thought I would mention a few things about obtaining the Peppers release...it seems my old habits have surfaced...I always love to "chase the deal"....well this time my approach was completely different....I wanted to get it on the release date...and boy was I surprised at what I discovered...another poster on this thread mentioned he was going to head to Best Buy on the release date..I believe it was Seilerbird...I was shocked to find out that my local Best Buy wasn't going to have it available...the store close to me is a high volume store and has a Magnolia in it and it's not going to carry the deluxe version!...they are going to have at least one of the cheaper versions...I'm not exactly living in the boondocks...to be sure I called the corporate office and the website and it's only available on the website...I actually went to the store and the manager looked on his internal software and he confirmed that some cheaper versions would be in the store...but not the deluxe version...so if any of you plan on going to your local Best Buy I would advise calling first...maybe it's just my area...but I doubt it...

So my next move for a local purchase was Barnes & Noble....they had it on their website for $124.99 with free shipping and I would have to pay tax..and they wouldn't ship it until the release date.....so I called their corporate office and they said it was up to the individual stores to order it....so I called my local store and he said they would have 1 copy "for display" purposes...he said he could order one for me and hold it at the store BUT he would have to charge me the retail price..$149.99 and of course tax would be involved...he was a nice guy and I explained to him that I was trying to support my local block and mortar store and pay a little more than online prices to get it on the release date... but that was too much over online deals like Music Direct...he understood and said the managers of these stores have tried to explain it to their bosses but they aren't supporting the brick and mortar stores and are probably just giving them lip service with the end goal of becoming a total online business...

My next local attempt was at Target...I shop there often and it's so close to me...their website had a competitive price of $117.99 with free shipping and if you have a store RED CARD(Target Debit or Credit Card)you get an additional 5% off...so that would take care of most of my sales tax(7%)...but they weren't sending the deluxe versions to their stores...so I called the corporate office and asked when they would ship it...and it wouldn't be shipped until the release date and might take a week or so...so I was out of local options

I first went with Bullmoose...then switched to Music Direct when the 20% discount was offered...and for some reason I wanted this release sooner...I usually just wait and go with the lowest price...but then I remembered my old friend...amazon....I had some credit on there that I had to use anyway... and I decided to step into the role of GOS...MR. PRIME TIME...GOS is addicted to amazon prime...don't let him tell you anything else..so after the $19 credit my order came to $115.88 and I will get it on the release date..which I paid $8.98 for the release date arrival instead of the free shipping...

So the moral of this story is that even though I live in a decent sized city I couldn't just walk into a retail store and buy this classic release...and another thing I noticed during this research is that most people never knew about this release...one of the surprise elements of this journey is that in the Target "music" department they mentioned that they did carry a deluxe version of "some country star"...but to this generation I guess the Beatles didn't make the cut:(

I am so speechless. I mean to say.....I am so damn happy that Clint has graced us with a few more hilarious posts.....this is what I miss the most. You, my friend, are the best. :)

Clint's Saga doesn't surprise me in the least.
I gave up on the major B&M stores a looong time ago.

I finally re-ordered it (just now) after canceling my previous order with Amazon Italy. I ended up getting through Amazon US because it was cheaper than Best Buy online. It doesn't look like Best Buy will be offering it, on display, in-store. I ended up paying close to what Ted, I mean, GOS paid ($126.54). Plus, I get it delivered on release day and that gives me the whole 3 Holiday weekend to listen to it. :cool:

I just did a side-by-side comparison of the old and new stereo mixes of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", and it's not even close!
The new stereo mix is far-and-away the best that song has ever sounded in stereo!
The chorus has so much more punch and impact now than it did 50 years ago.

I'm about to do a side-by-side comparison on the opening suite too.

:)

ADDENDUM: The opening two tracks sound better on the new stereo mix too, but the biggest improvement of the three is definitely "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".

So tell me Clint:

Are you going to drink a Dr. Pepper and eat a Pepperoni Pizza while listening to Sgt. Pepper?

Are you going to pepper your praise of Sgt .Pepper with Purple Prose?

And are you going to follow up Sgt. Pepper with the hip hop group Salt N' Pepper?

Glad to have you back, ole friend. We ARE Family!

I just did a side-by-side comparison of the old and new stereo mixes of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", and it's not even close!
The new stereo mix is far-and-away the best that song has ever sounded in stereo!
The chorus has so much more punch and impact now than it did 50 years ago.

I'm about to do a side-by-side comparison on the opening suite too.

:)

ADDENDUM: The opening two tracks sound better on the new stereo mix too, but the biggest improvement of the three is definitely "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".

Now THIS...is the sort of post I can appreciate. :lookaround

Amazon is such a tease.... even though we haven't made it to the 24th, day it ships out...each day that I check back, the green bar creeps a little closer. They know... :chill
Amazon delivery.jpg

It may have been me who made the original post to which you are referring. And my experience in tracking down a brick-and-mortar release was the same as yours. I decided to roll the dice and order it from Amazon with release day shipping selected.

J. D.

I waited so long to re-order, I just hope I get a copy on release day! The reason I'm fearful is that I order a lot of stuff from Amazon and their track record (no pun intended) with even being a Prime Member has waned over the past year and has gotten worse since last Fall. I've seen items canceled or not shipped on time. Or, shipped at the last minute and take 2-4 more days to arrive Yes, this includes discs too. I'm starting to think I just should've pre-ordered with them on day one. So, in retrospect, crossy fingers. :mad:@:

I waited so long to re-order, I just hope I get a copy on release day! The reason I'm fearful is that I order a lot of stuff from Amazon and their track record (no pun intended) with even being a Prime Member has waned over the past year and has gotten worse since last Fall. I've seen items canceled or not shipped on time. Or, shipped at the last minute and take 2-4 more days to arrive Yes, this includes discs too. I'm starting to think I just should've pre-ordered with them on day one. So, in retrospect, crossy fingers. :mad:@:

That's the main reason I didn't go with Amazon this time, tired of seeing reviews on a title that was delayed for me. And it's available elsewhere. :mad:@: I think they get a set amount and take pre-orders til the day before release, even though they won't have enough stock to fill them.

GOS!! 6 days!!! :smokin:banana::cool::phones:spot

This is freaking exciting!! Everything I read gets me even more worked up-like anticipating the party after prom. Or knowing that Mary Jane is gonna show let you cop a feel:woopie

Last edited:
Back