Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue (with 5.1 surround mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The good Lord doesn't seem to think I'm too old for this sort of thing....but I'm sitting with my wife at the hospital while she's in labor with our daughter. What better way to pass the time? I played DSOTM for our son's birth and I do believe this little girl will come into the world hearing SPLCHB! :)

My first was born just yesterday! Birth mama wanted to hear Cake. Fortunately, I had 3 of their albums on hand. :phones

01]Congratulations indeed, most of us original quad dies are into the grandchildren...my eldest daughter has rolled out a Torsten and a Gunnar, my younger marries this Saturday and she is itching to catch up with her sibling.

01]Congratulations indeed, most of us original quad dies are into the grandchildren...my eldest daughter has rolled out a Torsten and a Gunnar, my younger marries this Saturday and she is itching to catch up with her sibling.

yeh were mostly all old timers now! Jesus quad was the 70's and that is a long ass time ago!

PS Congrats and you'll be all over it by the time the 2nd one comes along. AND !! Just wait until they grow up!! It gets worse!!

I finally watched the videos on the Blu Ray [4 altogether] and those who have a quibble with the 5.1 on the new remaster should watch The Making of Sgt. Pepper wherein Sir George Martin details how he managed to literally squeeze all the disparate parts into a cohesive whole........not only the band itself but the orchestral parts, sound effects, etc onto ONLY 4 tracks. That it sounds so brilliant is a cause for celebration! EVERY instrument and vocal is so clearly articulated that it's a tribute to Sir George's uncanny prowess in pulling it all together.

My favorite of the music videos was A Day In The Life but the restored Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane videos look [and sound] better than ever. All three videos have an accompanying 5.1 Dolby True HD discrete soundtrack, as well.

Now onto the RBCDs and I haven't opened the gorgeous book yet.

A definitive boxset, IMO.

My copy doesn't arrive until Tuesday. I have seen that there are screenings/Audio Presentations in Los Angeles (at a minimum) of the new Sgt. Pepper in theaters WITH Dolby Atmos and promoting Gils mixed the new release in Dolby Atmos. Does anyone know if the Blu-ray released includes Dolby Atmos?

My copy doesn't arrive until Tuesday. I have seen that there are screenings/Audio Presentations in Los Angeles (at a minimum) of the new Sgt. Pepper in theaters WITH Dolby Atmos and promoting Gils mixed the new release in Dolby Atmos. Does anyone know if the Blu-ray released includes Dolby Atmos?

No. Just Dolby True HD and DTS MA 5.1 and of course PCM Stereo.

BTW, what does the 'screening' consist of? Just the album in Dolby Atmos [sans video] and a few rather brief videos including "The Making Of Sgt. Pepper?"

Unless they've supplied videos for the entire album for a future BD~V/4K release with a Dolby Atmos soundtrack:yikes.....a VERY distinct possibility!

I tried playing around with this in Audacity. Tried turning down the front 3 speakers -2dB by themselves, but then by soloing it, noticed that the LFE (.1) channel was mostly really deep bass guitar with very little drums and also decided that -2dB was not enough to bring out the surround channels. Went back and reduced all 3 front speakers and LFE (.1) all by -3dB and it sounds exponentially better to me. This album seems a bit hot to me overall, so I reduced LCR + LFE by -3dB, thereby making the two surround channels +3dB louder without any chance of overload and by equally reducing the LFE which seems to be mostly deep bass guitar, equaling it to the kick drum and floor toms in the mostly front speakers, according to Giles' mix, I only brought out the 2 surround channels by +3dB each. This minor change has made a huge difference in my enjoyment of this surround mix. :smokin

I tried playing around with this in Audacity. Tried turning down the front 3 speakers -2dB by themselves, but then by soloing it, noticed that the LFE (.1) channel was mostly really deep bass guitar with very little drums and also decided that -2dB was not enough to bring out the surround channels. Went back and reduced all 3 front speakers and LFE (.1) all by -3dB and it sounds exponentially better to me. This album seems a bit hot to me overall, so I reduced LCR + LFE by -3dB, thereby making the two surround channels +3dB louder without any chance of overload and by equally reducing the LFE which seems to be mostly deep bass guitar, equaling it to the kick drum and floor toms in the mostly front speakers, according to Giles' mix, I only brought out the 2 surround channels by +3dB each. This minor change has made a huge difference in my enjoyment of this surround mix. :smokin

I completely agree... +3dB in the rears is where I settled for Sgt. Pepper proper (+2 for Strawberry fields and Penny Lane).

Definitely the best Sgt Pepper has ever sounded. And finally the mono mix on CD. Listened to the 5.1 mix 3x today. I am hoping this is just the tip of the iceberg for The Beatles catalog!

The MONO mix was available on the Beatles Mono Box Set.

I am playing a leaked version of the box set (minus the BluRay) and am astounded how brilliant the MONO mix is.F#@+ing amazing!
My box hasn't even left Amazon UK yet, and I pre-ordered it on the day it was announced!

The MONO mix was available on the Beatles Mono Box Set.

I am playing a leaked version of the box set (minus the BluRay) and am astounded how brilliant the MONO mix is.F#@+ing amazing!
My box hasn't even left Amazon UK yet, and I pre-ordered it on the day it was announced!

While we're clarifying details, mono is not an acronym, is merely short for monophonic. It's a shame it costs so much to send stuff to/from Oz/UK. There's an album I've tried to get hold of three times from Oz/NZ and the postage is significantly more than the value of the record!

While we're clarifying details, mono is not an acronym, is merely short for monophonic. It's a shame it costs so much to send stuff to/from Oz/UK. There's an album I've tried to get hold of three times from Oz/NZ and the postage is significantly more than the value of the record!

What is the album mate?

Can I help?

I didn't want to post this on the POLL thread...but I wonder who will be first to give the Pepper 5.1 a vote of a 5? You know it will happen...someone will do it...I gave it a 10 by the way. :banana:

A very inexpensive investment was in a db meter for my iPad.

Allows me to set up surround balance very accurately at my listening positioning. after a set up of less than 5 minutes it play the music and sit back.

It doesn't really work on the sub woofer/LFE channel, but that's an easy tweak on the fly.

The Sgt Pepper 5.1 is really impressive!

Back