Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue (with 5.1 surround mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well - I did what I honestly thought I wouldn't do...and that is to let BOTH orders for the box get shipped without me canceling one of them. :)

So, the Moose shipped and Amazon shipped. Guess it will be a busy day for the mail man tomorrow. :) Oh, and I ordered 2 Hendrix albums as well and both arrive tomorrow. Hee! :banana:
Though, I honestly don't think Moose will deliver tomorrow...even though their website says most orders ship in a manner to deliver on release day. OK, unless they choose UPS...lately many packages get delivered by local post office.

Snood changed my mind for me. I was going to buy it at Best Buy Friday morning but I discovered most brick and mortars won't be stocking the deluxe version, only the 1 and 2 disc version. So I ordered it from Amazon and they promised a Friday delivery. There is a chance it will arrive today so I am in massive anticipation mode.

I got my package this morning a day early, and I have to say it is a thing of beauty, pretty pricey beauty but thats OK, I have been listening to the Blu-ray, 1st in DTS-HD Master, now in Dolby True HD and as expected it is a lot louder and the bass seems a bit boomy which I never noticed on the DTS version. The 5.1 mix is good and many things sound different to how I remember them not that I have listened to SGT. Peppers for a while.
I can remember buying this on vinyl (still got it), my first beatles album, from the shop just down the road from where I worked in my Saturday job, it would have been around '72 or '73

Pepper.jpg

Well looks like my plan has backfired. I ordered 6 mini SHM CD Sting that was to be released May 24 that I added to Pepper to hope save on shipping. Today I get notice that my shipping charge needs approval for added weight, ugh.
However, the shipping charge needed to be updated according to the actual order weight that has just become available.

Before continuing with the shipping process, we need to receive your approval for the new shipping charge.

Order Number:
New shipping charge: 9630 yen
Total Amount: 44584 yen

I held my postman hostage and grabbed mine off his truck...glad I chose amazon on this one...since I didn't research this item like most of you I may be telling you something you already know...the first thing that caught my eye was the 3D effect of the Beatles on the outer cover...very cool...I'm not a big fan of all the "extra's" in these sets but I do like the book...

My only expectation concerning this release was could they improve on the existing versions...if that lies in the CD's...that's fine with me...I'm not expecting some Steven Wilson surround magic..to be candid.. I have enough demo discs at this point in the hobby...I'd prefer getting better versions of the best content...and this one is near the top of the heap on the content list....I never expected this after all these years... in the format that most people have said is no longer relevant in music circles...I'm sure Gos is going to leave work early if his arrives today...

The first picture is the 3D effect picture of the beatles..,..second just lists the contents...the 3rd has the appearance of a vinyl package and contains the discs....the 4th picture is the inner container that was made to look like the original packaging on the tape reels..

Let me wish everyone a Happy and Safe holiday weekend for those in the States and a safe and happy weekend for those around the globe!

001.jpg
003.jpg
009.jpg
006.jpg

The 5.1 is good a little weak on the bass, surround wise is a mixed bag, but very conservative in general, center channel is real good on some songs, the best song for full surround in my opinion is Strawberry Fields.
I'm happy but to conservative for my taste.

got to spin the CD's next

Well looks like my plan has backfired. I ordered 6 mini SHM CD Sting that was to be released May 24 that I added to Pepper to hope save on shipping. Today I get notice that my shipping charge needs approval for added weight, ugh.
However, the shipping charge needed to be updated according to the actual order weight that has just become available.

Before continuing with the shipping process, we need to receive your approval for the new shipping charge.

Order Number:
New shipping charge: 9630 yen
Total Amount: 44584 yen

But think of ALL THOSE BONUS POINTS!

Well I'm flying back on a late flight to the UK tomorrow. Got an email saying out for delivery but Parcelforce don't let you change the delivery date, however the tracker now says I can collect from my local Post Office - so that's where I'll be heading first thing on Saturday morning. I read the SDE review and it is what I expected, but Yeah Yeah its The Beatles :banana:

I gave it quick listen while I was making and eating my lunch...while I listened to it I had the review by Paul Sinclair on my computer...after each song I would check his comments...he was pretty much on target when rating the surround elements...for me it was better than I expected...my hope was that it would be the best sounding version to date...and after listening to the CD that was in the MONO box set...it easily tops that one...when I have more time over the weekend I will get out the Anthology Set...the set will probably beat the surround elements but I don't think it will be as clear sounding as the new blu ray version...my hope was to get a better sounding version and whatever surround elements it contained were just "gravy" for me...as much as I love surround sound I was looking for the best sounding version of this classic...and it appears to be the real deal IMO...I don't get caught up in the whole "value" concepts of these releases...just because you pay more for something doesn't mean it should sound better...I've bought a lot of the Steven Wilson masterpieces(and they truly are great)but they collect dust on my shelves because the content isn't that interesting to me...we all have our preferences...when it comes to music.... content is king...always will be...and music from the Beatles is just Top Shelf for me..

If anyone has any doubt about the ability of Giles Martin and his TEAM...Giles is the Producer and Sam Okell was credited as the Mix Engineer.....just listen to Within you Without you....a song that was considered by many as a filler song on the album...certainly not the most high profile song...and THEY made it sound great as a surround song...I'm sure many will hear that song and envision what the rest of the songs would be like if they were done that way...but as someone on here said...the people that work on these projects seldom.... if ever....have free reign to make them as they wish...I'm sure Miles got "marching orders" from "above" and input as to how to fashion this release...

You can look at this set in two ways...it's a generally conservative surround with some exciting exceptions....OR...you can look at it the way I do...as the best sounding version of an album from 50 years ago....I am planning on buying another copy...

The Blu Ray Disc and a CD from the set

014.jpg

I gave it quick listen while I was making and eating my lunch...while I listened to it I had the review by Paul Sinclair on my computer...after each song I would check his comments...he was pretty much on target when rating the surround elements...for me it was better than I expected...my hope was that it would be the best sounding version to date...and after listening to the CD that was in the MONO box set...it easily tops that one...when I have more time over the weekend I will get out the Anthology Set...the set will probably beat the surround elements but I don't think it will be as clear sounding as the new blu ray version...my hope was to get a better sounding version and whatever surround elements it contained were just "gravy" for me...as much as I love surround sound I was looking for the best sounding version of this classic...and it appears to be the real deal IMO...I don't get caught up in the whole "value" concepts of these releases...just because you pay more for something doesn't mean it should sound better...I've bought a lot of the Steven Wilson masterpieces(and they truly are great)but they collect dust on my shelves because the content isn't that interesting to me...we all have our preferences...when it comes to music.... content is king...always will be...and music from the Beatles is just Top Shelf for me..

If anyone has any doubt about the ability of Giles Martin and his TEAM...Giles is the Producer and Sam Okell was credited as the Mix Engineer.....just listen to Within you Without you....a song that was considered by many as a filler song on the album...certainly not the most high profile song...and THEY made it sound great as a surround song...I'm sure many will hear that song and envision what the rest of the songs would be like if they were done that way...but as someone on here said...the people that work on these projects seldom.... if ever....have free reign to make them as they wish...I'm sure Miles got "marching orders" from "above" and input as to how to fashion this release...

You can look at this set in two ways...it's a generally conservative surround with some exciting exceptions....OR...you can look at it the way I do...as the best sounding version of an album from 50 years ago....I am planning on buying another copy...

View attachment 29436
Nice review Clint.
I think you also have to consider the context of the song in a surround mix.
WYWY, seems ideal for a very adventurous mix as would Lucy.
Getting Better to me would not be enhanced by shit ping-ponging or floating around my head.
I guess my view on what makes a great surround song mix differs from most on this forum.

The version from Amazon.jp is the same as yours, i.e., the Japanese version with what you listed and of course SHM-CDs.
When I pre-ordered on April 10th it was $154 USD.

We will likely get shipping notice tomorrow, Thursday morning as Japan is 16 hours ahead of my time zone, PST.

I got the email too:

Order Number: 10108859079
New shipping charge: 6600 yen
Total Amount: 23804 yen]

So, I cancelled the order, reordered from amazon.jp, and saved almost $60. "Fixin' a Hole"

View attachment 29436

Likewise, Clint, YOU MADE MY DAY with your mini review. What I was hoping for was the BEST version of Sgt. Pepper 'commercially' available and the fact that you stated it VERY comfortably exceeded the MONO version is reason enough to purchase this set.

Hopefully, all succeeding remixes in 5.1 will render ALL the Beatle's remasters as the BEST available.

'BOUT time!

Well - I did what I honestly thought I wouldn't do...and that is to let BOTH orders for the box get shipped without me canceling one of them. :)

So, the Moose shipped and Amazon shipped. Guess it will be a busy day for the mail man tomorrow. :) Oh, and I ordered 2 Hendrix albums as well and both arrive tomorrow. Hee! :banana:
Though, I honestly don't think Moose will deliver tomorrow...even though their website says most orders ship in a manner to deliver on release day. OK, unless they choose UPS...lately many packages get delivered by local post office.

My first time with a pre-order from BullMoose, payed extra for expedited shipping and I just got a tracking number email this morning. When I checked the number it was just a label printed no actual item received from shipper yet? That BLOWS big time, I'm now expecting it on Tuesday by USPS. I zigged when I should have zagged, not that far from Maine ? So my option was Amazon with a possible delay or BullMoose with their Shipping a day before release promise. I need to take a shower feel like I got hosed by a Moose a bull at that.

My first time with a pre-order from BullMoose, payed extra for expedited shipping and I just got a tracking number email this morning. When I checked the number it was just a label printed no actual item received from shipper yet? That BLOWS big time, I'm now expecting it on Tuesday by USPS. I zigged when I should have zagged, not that far from Maine ? So my option was Amazon with a possible delay or BullMoose with their Shipping a day before release promise. I need to take a shower feel like I got hosed by a Moose a bull at that.

Well, let me tell you that the Moose doesn't have very good record keeping. It could be that it's further along than you think. On the other hand, I didn't pay for any additional premium shipping and I too have the same status. But, I had to email them to get the tracking number. They need to improve IMO if they want to compete with the dogs....

Mine doesn't say shipped (per their site), yet when I emailed them, they provided me a USPS tracking number. I suspect before end of today I will see some movement. But, no chance in HELL, it will go from Maine to Illinois in 1 day. So, for a measly $6 more dollars via Amazon, I'll have a copy tomorrow. Moose...sometime next week I guess. Unless it magically arrives Saturday...which I doubt.

I emailed them also gos when I seen others here were receiving emails and actual orders. :mad:@:
Feel the same I paid 4.99 extra and am in Michigan so we may see them Sat. but improbable. I was hoping to show it off on the holiday wknd.:( Maybe I just need to :chill
But after a round of spinal shots today they usually get me a bit wonky.:howl

In anticipation of the set arriving from Bull Moose, I listened to Sgt Pepper in MONO this afternoon. It's the first time I listened to it all the way through in mono. There are some interesting differences from the stereo version in addition to the sped up She's Leaving Home. I'm looking forward to the 5.1 mix and I especially hope it includes the extended intro to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise) that appears on the mono album.

BTW, USPS says that the package is enroute with expected delivery on Saturday.

In anticipation of the set arriving from Bull Moose, I listened to Sgt Pepper in MONO this afternoon. It's the first time I listened to it all the way through in mono. There are some interesting differences from the stereo version in addition to the sped up She's Leaving Home. I'm looking forward to the 5.1 mix and I especially hope it includes the extended intro to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise) that appears on the mono album.

BTW, USPS says that the package is enroute with expected delivery on Saturday.

Wow, mine says nothing. I wonder why the differences with Moose?

Just got shipping notice from Amazon JP.
Delivery Tuesday May 30 as I expected.
Hope everybody else gets theirs this weekend!

Some movement from BullMoose, took 14 hours to get it to the USPS office (wtf) and then just 2 more to get it on its way. I'll be asking for a refund of my expedited shipping cost if it doesn't arrive by Saturday. Maybe ask anyways due to their claim of shipping a day early, cause technically it was 1 hr 10 minutes left in said 24 hour day.:flame:nuke

Back