Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue (with 5.1 surround mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A very inexpensive investment was in a db meter for my iPad.

Allows me to set up surround balance very accurately at my listening positioning. after a set up of less than 5 minutes it play the music and sit back.

It doesn't really work on the sub woofer/LFE channel, but that's an easy tweak on the fly.

The Sgt Pepper 5.1 is really impressive!

how does it sound if you add 10dB to the LFE measurement you get with your dB meter in your main listening position?

When I get a chance I'm going to boost the rears the +3db on the disc I make for the car.

I may or may not float the missing trumpet ending onto the Penny Lane track if I can find my Rarities LP. The Sanity of this forum is so comforting, as over at another place I made a simple comment that if they would have put that trumpet ending back into the 5.1 mix, since there was never an ORIGINAL 5.1 mix, the trumpet ending would not have been sacrilege.

But alas, not over there. It of course turned into a US vs the World argument. :mad: :nuke :mad:

There's no place like home! :51banana:

are there any 5.1 mastering (not mixing) credits in this package?

Mix credits as follows:

Producer: Giles Martin
Mix Engineer: Sam Okell
Mastering Engineers: Miles Showell and Sean Magee
Transfer Engineer: Matthew Cocker
Mix Assistants: Matt Mysko and Greg McAllister
Audio Restoration: James Clarke
Mix Coordination: Adam Sharp
Blu Ray/DVD Production: Trish McGregor
Blu Ray/DVD Authoring: Richard Osborn at Type 40

Not at all! I know that I will be far from disappointed. In fact, I'm overly excited.
Although, in a way, I find opening it, sacred like. :violin

That's awesome! Well, well...maybe I will simply keep my 2nd copy...SEALED. Though, it did arrive with a little tear in the outer plastic wrap, which I found thoroughly annoying. :violin

That's awesome! Well, well...maybe I will simply keep my 2nd copy...SEALED. Though, it did arrive with a little tear in the outer plastic wrap, which I found thoroughly annoying. :violin

You mean, like this?

IMG_0068.jpg

I thought my box was damaged free until I saw this.

IMG_0069.jpg

It's only have as bad as when I first received it. I was able to take my finger nail and iron it down a bit. I should send it back! They need to have better quality control on that plastic seal. :upthumb

I didn't want to post this on the POLL thread...but I wonder who will be first to give the Pepper 5.1 a vote of a 5? You know it will happen...someone will do it...I gave it a 10 by the way. :banana:

I've not yet ordered a copy, so you may have to wait a while for it to happen ;)

When I get a chance I'm going to boost the rears the +3db on the disc I make for the car.

I may or may not float the missing trumpet ending onto the Penny Lane track if I can find my Rarities LP. The Sanity of this forum is so comforting, as over at another place I made a simple comment that if they would have put that trumpet ending back into the 5.1 mix, since there was never an ORIGINAL 5.1 mix, the trumpet ending would not have been sacrilege.

But alas, not over there. It of course turned into a US vs the World argument. :mad: :nuke :mad:

There's no place like home! :51banana:
LOL, yeah I saw that, Jon.
You xenophobe you ;)

Jon is such a rebel...lmao! I'm a new member "there" and I've posted maybe 25 times...and not once has anyone responded or answered any of my posts. hahaha. My pride has been so damaged.... :cool::cool:

At least you haven't pissed anyone off you big huggy bear.
I've been temporarily banned there several times as well as AVS.
Been a number of years though.

I have learned 2 things.
It doesn't matter and more importantly, don't post a rant after a few cocktails as the Scottish can get my back up, laddie. :)

Most everyone on internet forums has posted crap they regret, I wonder about the ones who don't seem to.

You mean, like this?

View attachment 29498

I thought my box was damaged free until I saw this.

View attachment 29499

It's only have as bad as when I first received it. I was able to take my finger nail and iron it down a bit. I should send it back! They need to have better quality control on that plastic seal. :upthumb

Def send it back especially if from Amazon (so easy on Amazon) - but play and make your personal rips or copies off that one :banana:

Yeah that makes Snood so :howl when that happens

Got mine today - Sunday delivery! :) Very cool of Bull Moose to include the poster. Thanks, Bullmoose! Any of the other retailers including it in the packaging?

I tried playing around with this in Audacity. Tried turning down the front 3 speakers -2dB by themselves, but then by soloing it, noticed that the LFE (.1) channel was mostly really deep bass guitar with very little drums and also decided that -2dB was not enough to bring out the surround channels. Went back and reduced all 3 front speakers and LFE (.1) all by -3dB and it sounds exponentially better to me. This album seems a bit hot to me overall, so I reduced LCR + LFE by -3dB, thereby making the two surround channels +3dB louder without any chance of overload and by equally reducing the LFE which seems to be mostly deep bass guitar, equaling it to the kick drum and floor toms in the mostly front speakers, according to Giles' mix, I only brought out the 2 surround channels by +3dB each. This minor change has made a huge difference in my enjoyment of this surround mix. :smokin

Ironic that this - possibly the #1 album that the purists don't want you to mess with - is the FIRST one I've ever tweaked in Audacity. Frogmort's suggestion hits the spot - the sweet spot! If this adjustment were made in the mastering stage I believe we'd be getting a MUCH different (better) response from the surround community (not that it's been all bad, but it would be much better).

I had a dream last night that I listened to the mono disc in this deluxe set and that it sounded much better than the 5.1 (lmao)
Maybe that's my cue to get out the other discs and see what they are all about. :)

Back