Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue (with 5.1 surround mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those of us in the UK/Europe I've ordered mine from Burning Shed £99.99 + £8.50 P&P so £108.49 and the profit goes to a good independent run by musicians, not tax avoiding behemoths!

That's no way to speak of Messers McCartney and Starr ;)

xea0h.jpg

admirable, Duncan.. however my cashflows so inconsistent I can't afford to tie up 100's of pounds on preorders every month, so I have to reluctantly give my business to the tax dodgers..

ps. WOW at this news, or what..!?! :yikes
(keeping all me pinkies crossed for a nice set of active surround mixes!)

Welcome to the "Cheaper Options " Club , Frederico ol' chum . :sun

Lot's a room left !! btw. :rolleyes:

cool. That being said, with tax and shipping included importCD is identical to Bull Moose $120. Moose still wins for me. :)

Yup, importcds is only worth it if you don't care when you get it.
For the same price you know Bullmoose will ship on time.
Didn't go for the Expedited Shipping GOS?
Only $5.

Yup, importcds is only worth it if you don't care when you get it.
For the same price you know Bullmoose will ship on time.
Didn't go for the Expedited Shipping GOS?
Only $5.

dammit, no. Probably should have. I still have my amazon order in place.

I can only justify it Jon because this 2017 year I have stopped buying all the Prog Rock 5.1's and my collection is such that I realize I only listen to many titles once or twice, so between saving money, not buying much anymore, it frees me to purchase the iconic stuff from my youth.

After reading your post here, I was ready to say "Aw F it, I'm going to order it". Then I got to thinking that usually on these big boxes I play the extra stuff once, sometimes never, and is an SHM-CD really going to be that much better for a very abbreviated listening? Then more rationalization appeared, and I realized that I probably will never listen to the stereo version if the 5.1 version was really good, and since that's on the BluRay the "SHM" does little for me, so I decided to just pass.

Heck, I have my MFSL UHQR Sgt Pepper sitting on a shelf and I think I played that probably 5 times since I bought it for $50 at a Crazy Edddie in Westchester, NY a million years ago.

I don't know. Maybe I am just losing my enthusiasm for stuff like this after all these years. While I am curious about the outakes and all, the 5.1 mix is what I really want and would actually listen to, so I think I will stick with the US box.

To the poster waiting for a Blu-ray only, forget it.
And no one really cares if you or me or anyone buys it or not.

Call me crazy but I went for the Japanese version.
Yeah the shipping stung hard but I'm guessing that means the packaging is something special compared to domestic version.
But way beyond packaging and whether this song or that song was or was not included, I think the important point about this set is
that they went back to the multi-track tapes where all of original music was recorded and then transferred to a single single track of
the original 4 track tape that was used to master the final master tape.

This could yield clarity that no one has ever dreamed of for Sgt. Pepper.
As good as the 2009 remasters are this could take that to a whole other level.
And given a 24/96 resolution, surround or stereo this has the potential to redefine what we know of Sgt. Pepper.
That makes it worth it to me.

I do not care for your opinion neither

After reading your post here, I was ready to say "Aw F it, I'm going to order it". Then I got to thinking that usually on these big boxes I play the extra stuff once, sometimes never, and is an SHM-CD really going to be that much better for a very abbreviated listening? Then more rationalization appeared, and I realized that I probably will never listen to the stereo version if the 5.1 version was really good, and since that's on the BluRay the "SHM" does little for me, so I decided to just pass.

Heck, I have my MFSL UHQR Sgt Pepper sitting on a shelf and I think I played that probably 5 times since I bought it for $50 at a Crazy Edddie in Westchester, NY a million years ago.

I don't know. Maybe I am just losing my enthusiasm for stuff like this after all these years. While I am curious about the outakes and all, the 5.1 mix is what I really want and would actually listen to, so I think I will stick with the US box.

Jon, I am with you about losing enthusiasm, in fact sometimes it's a good idea to not look at QQ and save my money. There are so many formats now it is making me crazy, not often, but some tunes I have CD, SACD, MCH, download, and I ask myself why ? If I stopped buying now and listened to everything I had I would be happy. Listening now to most of the Chicago Quadio Box and loving it, but two new RBCD's knocked on the door, The new Deep Purple Infinity and the new Mike and the Mechanics, Let me Fly, I guess I'm a goner.

ok then, I suppose I'm going to have to get on the moose site this weekend and order, hopefully the surround disc is good, this album is after all solidly in my top ten.

Hey Jon, you're being the realist not me.
If I was being real, the only way I could justify the expense is if ALL of the material on the 4 cds was also included on the Blu-ray in Hi-Res which is what they really should've done.
Also I'm just as interested in the stereo as in the 5.1 as most of the time I listen to my 2-channel system.
It is easy to get caught up in the rush of initial enthusiasm, I may come to my senses and cancel the CDJapan order who knows, there is plenty of time.

once and awhile some boxes do obtain some reasonable value, your MSFL UHQR pepper is definitely one and to a lesser extent Neil Youngs Greendale box is another, I got mine for $65 and 13 years latter it's now listing a $430 mid level price.
So "if" down the road value is "part" of the of the incentive to buy the SHM version may just be a good value.

https://www.discogs.com/Neil-Young-Crazy-Horse-Greendale/release/1591040

The 5.1 is on BR and DVD in the big box set right. This means many will be selling off their "extra" disc in various places. I see a used market happening sooner than normal on the dupes in the set.

SPLHCB Deluxe comes out on Friday, May 26. In the U.S., this is the day before a holiday weekend. I know that I'm hitting the road that afternoon, so my plan is to, hopefully, buy it in a brick and mortar store that day, even though it may cost more than buying it online. I really don't want my trip to be delayed waiting for the mail carrier to show up. I have FYE, Target, Best Buy and Barnes and Noble as potential retailers. Wish me luck!

Back