Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue (with 5.1 surround mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[QUOTE
I thought everybody was like me and getting the Japanese version from CDJapan for the diorama.[/QUOTE]

Nahh, were only in it for the money is a way better one

That was how I was how I initially experienced Sgt. Pepper. I was fascinated and perplexed that they bothered to write lyrics to songs like When I'm Sixty-Four but make the song largely instrumental with just occasional vocals. This was before I'd ever heard the word "karaoke" but that's what it seemed like in hindsight. Within a month I'd made a cassette copy for my Walkman. I distinctly remember riding my bike down Arcola Ave. on my way to a friend's house, listening on my cheap orange-padded headphones when I first heard that missing channel. I literally swerved, but didn't fall over.

My family's first stereo record player was an odd Packard Bell that consisted of a big unit containing the player and a radio with a full-sized speaker. It also had a much, much smaller separate amplified speaker that served as the right channel. But as a kid I wasn't paying that much attention to stereo and it had to be turned on separately, etc. etc. etc. So for a long time I thought the entire lyrics to "Hey Bulldog" were "You can talk to me." Finally one day I just happened to play it with that other speaker powered up. Oops!

Almost 50 years later, that's still my "Is this think hooked up properly?" test track.

My family's first stereo record player was an odd Packard Bell that consisted of a big unit containing the player and a radio with a full-sized speaker. It also had a much, much smaller separate amplified speaker that served as the right channel. But as a kid I wasn't paying that much attention to stereo and it had to be turned on separately, etc. etc. etc. So for a long time I thought the entire lyrics to "Hey Bulldog" were "You can talk to me." Finally one day I just happened to play it with that other speaker powered up. Oops!

Almost 50 years later, that's still my "Is this think hooked up properly?" test track.

This is a fantastic post! I love it.

Well its listed on amazon.co.uk at £140.99. SpinCDs are offering it at £99.99 but I'm having a great deal of problems with them, paying for stuff that hasn't arrived, no matter what is promised.

So I'm hoping our friends at Burning Shed are going to sell it, I've asked them.
Spin CDs never delivered on my order of the Jeff Beck "Orange" SACD so after eighteen plus months I asked them to change my order to something of the equal price, seeing as they already had my money, after another three months+ I'm still waiting. They will never get any further business from me.

Anyway, I have ordered SPLHCB deluxe box from The Beatles store, £106.95 with postage.

OK, let me get this straight..

NO MONO MIXES???

NEW STEREO MIXES?????

Yes you got that right. Mono went out of style the month before this album went to the presses, nobody knew at the time that stereo would outsell mono 1000/1, and the stereo would be what this album was about in the long term. Mono is available elsewhere.

Yes, there were bounced tracks tape to tape in order to get this done on a 4-track machine. Those pre-bounced tapes were held onto, and now used to remix the entire thing into fresh stereo.

Either 50% of the mix will be first generation for the first time ever, or the entire set of tracks will gain by losing a generation of tape hiss. I am not sure how many of the tracks can potentially stand to benefit from generation of tape removed. But potential is that this album will move around the room with Henry the Horse dancing the waltz across your wall right through a hog's head of real fire, which you will feel the heat.

In surround expect various animals flying through the air left to right and front to back during Good Morning Good Morning.

This album was the the 60s what Dark Side of the Moon was to the 70s. The surround 5.1 will be almost as good as a great LSD trip.

Yes you got that right. Mono went out of style the month before this album went to the presses, nobody knew at the time that stereo would outsell mono 1000/1, and the stereo would be what this album was about in the long term. Mono is available elsewhere.

Yes, there were bounced tracks tape to tape in order to get this done on a 4-track machine. Those pre-bounced tapes were held onto, and now used to remix the entire thing into fresh stereo.

Either 50% of the mix will be first generation for the first time ever, or the entire set of tracks will gain by losing a generation of tape hiss. I am not sure how many of the tracks can potentially stand to benefit from generation of tape removed. But potential is that this album will move around the room with Henry the Horse dancing the waltz across your wall right through a hog's head of real fire, which you will feel the heat.

In surround expect various animals flying through the air left to right and front to back during Good Morning Good Morning.

This album was the the 60s what Dark Side of the Moon was to the 70s. The surround 5.1 will be almost as good as a great LSD trip.

Too bad Sandoz does not manufacture it anymore.....

:smokin

:mad:@:

Wow, I hope you are right about the 5.1 on this. Guess I really don't know what to expect... :)

I'll say it again - a bit surprised Amazon US is still at the $149 rate. Which made me wonder....aren't they concerned about folks purchasing from other outlets that are cheaper? Maybe they get SO much business...they are not worried. :)

OK - I got brave and went into my Amazon Canada order and upgraded the shipping to Expedited International. Now my grand total is CSN$74.92 or US $55.97 :)

Again - I'm quite sure this order will never see the light of day, but who knows.

Spin CDs never delivered on my order of the Jeff Beck "Orange" SACD so after eighteen plus months I asked them to change my order to something of the equal price, seeing as they already had my money, after another three months+ I'm still waiting. They will never get any further business from me.

Anyway, I have ordered SPLHCB deluxe box from The Beatles store, £106.95 with postage.

I have a brand new extra copy, never opened of Jeff Beck Group SACD MCH if you would like to buy it from me ?
EICP-10003.jpg

The super-deluxe set has all the mono mixes.

FWIW, Japanese Super Deluxe Edition lower price found.
I checked out Amazon Japan, price including shipping $154 and a few cents.
International delivery, delivery date May 29-30th.
Cancelled my CDJapan order, Amazon ~$50 less.
I've never ordered anything from Japan that didn't come by airmail and historically, customs in California is very quick unlike incoming Canadian or European orders.
Just to update my post, I'm on the West Coast so obviously depending on your location shipping times from Japan will vary.

FYI, unlike Amazon everywhere else, you have to create a separate account for Amazon JP.
I already had one.
Don't know if this will change anyone's mind but I thought it worthwhile just in case, especially for the 1 or 2 other nutcases like me who ordered from CDJapan.

Last edited:
Paul Sinclair at SDE just mentioned (via e-mail) that he's been invited to a press reception at Abbey Road tomorrow where Giles Martin will be playing excerpts from the box for the press. Hopefully he'll get to hear some of the 5.1 and can report back.

Paul Sinclair at SDE just mentioned (via e-mail) that he's been invited to a press reception at Abbey Road tomorrow where Giles Martin will be playing excerpts from the box for the press. Hopefully he'll get to hear some of the 5.1 and can report back.

If no 5.1 preview at the very least let's hope Lord Sinclair gets to ask questions about it. :)

SPLHCB Deluxe comes out on Friday, May 26. In the U.S., this is the day before a holiday weekend. I know that I'm hitting the road that afternoon, so my plan is to, hopefully, buy it in a brick and mortar store that day, even though it may cost more than buying it online. I really don't want my trip to be delayed waiting for the mail carrier to show up. I have FYE, Target, Best Buy and Barnes and Noble as potential retailers. Wish me luck!

When the 2009 stereo remasters were announced, I placed a pre order from my local Barnes and Noble store. I was told by the manager that the box sets would be delivered to the store no later than the day before the release, and I could pick mine up as soon as the doors opened the next day.

True enough, I had the box set open and was listening to it in the car at 9:10am. Lucky for me, they sold their entire inventory during the first day.

You might be able to do the same?

Back