Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue (with 5.1 surround mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And, for me - importCD would be a total of $128, if I choose 2 day shipping. Not bad....hmmmm. What to do....
In my experience with importcds, there's no guarantee that the order will ship on release day.
None.
Bullmoose has been consistently excellent.

Last edited:
But, for me, with tax, my order is $136.26
Bull Moose still cheaper...slower...but cheaper. :)

my 1 and only experience with bullmoose was very good. I ordered the Chicago set from him after he let us know here at QQ that it was coming out, I believe on that one he was 5 or 10 $ higher than amazon, but it arrived at my house on release day which shocked the hell out of me, i expected at best 3-4 days after.
That being said I just pre ordered this set with the moose. and this time for me it looks like he is 25$ less than amazon.

Today there was an event at Abbey Road. Giles Martin discussed the new release and played some of the new stereo mix. While he apparently didn't sample any of the 5.1 mix, a poster at SH.tv (mretrain) who was in attendance posted this about it:

"Giles said that is very immersive & radical - there's also yet another mix for another surround system that involves 46 different speakers apparently" (link to source post)

Thorough conjecture is above my pay grade, but I suppose that elaborate a mix is to future-proof for eventual integration into an eventual LOVE 3.0. Either way, I read this a positive sign that this surround mix will be more ambitious than 1+.

For now, I'm shifting my personal expectation meter from "cautiously optimistic" to "cautiously giddy."

Last edited:
Geez, I've been really busy the last week or two and hardly checked out QQ, so I took a few minutes today to catch up and :mad:@: I'm out $170 for Pepper and Songs from the Wood!

Ordered from Music Direct: Total incl Fedex/Ground Home shipping --> $114.39

Used 20% discount code: PCBSAVE
================================

Paul Sinclair has put up a nice read today from the listening event he attended for this album at Abbey Road Studio's.
Can be read at superdeluxedition.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/f...ed-sgt-pepper-unveiled-at-abbey-road-studios/

I like this comment in the review:

Giles Martin: We were quite conservative with the 5.1 mixes on the ‘number ones’ album but with this the 5.1 mixes are much more immersive.

Paul Sinclair has put up a nice read today from the listening event he attended for this album at Abbey Road Studio's.
Can be read at superdeluxedition.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/f...ed-sgt-pepper-unveiled-at-abbey-road-studios/

I like this comment in the review:

Giles Martin: We were quite conservative with the 5.1 mixes on the ‘number ones’ album but with this the 5.1 mixes are much more immersive.

This particular Q&A was also very fascinating:
Quad mix of Sgt. Pepper

Giles Martin: Did I reference the Quad Mix of Sgt. Pepper while making the new 5.1? No, I didn’t, is the answer! It wasn’t done by The Beatles… was it? Again, I go back to what they did and what they think. So no, I didn’t. Nor did I know that it existed, so that’s probably why [laughs].

What the heck does this mean?
"I suspect purists will still gravitate to the ‘unpeeled’ mono version for the ultimate mix of authenticity and (in Giles’ own words) technical brilliance."
Perhaps I missed it but I never read anything about the mono being remixed.

Also:
"Giles talks about ‘peeling back the layers’ but when you unglue everything in the original mixes in a digital domain and then try to ‘reseal’ for a 2017 remix do you lose something intangible? Does the dust in the air of 1967’s Abbey Road Studio 2 leave the room?"
What the hell is this guy on about?
Tired of the allusions to the "magic" being lost by re-doing all the bounces and going to the original tracks.
Totally missing the point. The fact is unpeeling the layers restores the magic that we never got to hear in first place!!!!!!!!!!!

He also references that Sgt. Pepper mono was never offered "separately" on CD.
It was part of the Mono Masters set. The guy tries to infer that it was never sold.

...The fact is unpeeling the layers restores the magic that we never got to hear in first place!!!!!!!!!!!...

Amen to that! Heck, I'd prefer a discreet 16 channel system to even a 5.1 or 7.1 system if it were practical. The fewer the channels the more difficult the mix; and I highly commend the original effort on the historic mono mix. But that mix was designed to be heard on a mono console or in some ballroom that generates its own acoustics and reverb.

As usual, I've been beaten down, crumbled to the pressure, and pre-ordered the set from our friends at Bull Moose.

Amen to that! Heck, I'd prefer a discreet 16 channel system to even a 5.1 or 7.1 system if it were practical. The fewer the channels the more difficult the mix; and I highly commend the original effort on the historic mono mix. But that mix was designed to be heard on a mono console or in some ballroom that generates its own acoustics and reverb.

As usual, I've been beaten down, crumbled to the pressure, and pre-ordered the set from our friends at Bull Moose.

This set is gonna be fantastic!!! You'll be happy you did.

What the heck does this mean?
"I suspect purists will still gravitate to the ‘unpeeled’ mono version for the ultimate mix of authenticity and (in Giles’ own words) technical brilliance."
Perhaps I missed it but I never read anything about the mono being remixed.

The mono was not remixed.
What Sinclair meant is that for a lot of Beatles fans, the original mono mix is still the definitive mix and will still be the definitive mix even with the improvements made on the new stereo mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The mono was not remixed.
What Giles meant is that for a lot of Beatles fans, the original mono mix is still the definitive mix and will still be the definitive mix even with the improvements made on the new stereo mix.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From reading the article, it was the author who made the statement about the unpeeled mono, not Giles Martin.

I've always liked the mono mix better because the stereo mix is, to me, crap and the mono is so much more coherent.
I'm very much hoping\expecting that the combination of the re-mix, using the original tapes and hi-res will make the mono pale in comparison.

Good luck, I hope you get the package at that price. I live in the U.S. (KY) and Amazon Canada won't ship any discs to me (or apparently anywhere in the U.S.) under their current international shipping policy. A few months ago it was no problem.....

Here's the referenced policy: "Amazon.ca cannot ship software, computer & video games, gift cards or electronics internationally. "

I assume they consider music discs as "software"?

Steve
OK - I got brave and went into my Amazon Canada order and upgraded the shipping to Expedited International. Now my grand total is CSN$74.92 or US $55.97 :)

Again - I'm quite sure this order will never see the light of day, but who knows.

Good luck, I hope you get the package at that price. I live in the U.S. (KY) and Amazon Canada won't ship any discs to me (or apparently anywhere in the U.S.) under their current international shipping policy. A few months ago it was no problem.....

Here's the referenced policy: "Amazon.ca cannot ship software, computer & video games, gift cards or electronics internationally. "

Steve

No, they do not.

Steve

I Purchased a music disc from Amazon CAnada only 2 months ago and received it no problems.

The first part of that comment might well be the understatement of the new century as applied to any kind of 5.1 mixes. As to the second part, I'll believe it when I hear it. Even though only a 4-track source there is a lot that can be done to make a fine 5.1 (or quad, which might have been more sensible) from the multis. I hope Mr. Martin managed that. As for the 'new stereo,' well...I think some of the original was pretty good, some of it not so good (like the opening track), so it should be an interesting listen, at the least.

ED :)

Back