Nektar Quad Encoding

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q8

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I am considering going after the quad Nektar albums but I see some conflicting information in the previous threads, so (hopefully) this thread can put any confusion to rest as to what Nektar LPs are quad and which are not and what encoding the quads use. From what I can tell, there are at least two Nektar albums originally in quad. Those are "Remember The Future" and "Down To Earth". Those were definitely SQ and carried SQ markings in Germany.

Many people say that the US copies are also SQ, which I can believe. It seems a minority of people have said the US copies are QS like the other Passport titles. I doubt that. The Mark Anderson discography lists all copies of those two as SQ. Can anyone definitively say the US copies are SQ?

Now the other confusion is that some people have also said "A Tab In The Ocean" was also an unmarked quad. Was it a marked quad in Germany? Is it quad? If so, what matrix.

Also I am confused if there are any other marked or unmarked quads in the US or Germany.

I kind of want to sort this out and see if I can just buy the US copies and save some money. I would like to know what to get and what I'm getting though.

Actually the Mark Anderson discography says the ones that aren't the German SQ, are all QS :mad:@: :mad:@:

I am considering going after the quad Nektar albums but I see some conflicting information in the previous threads, so (hopefully) this thread can put any confusion to rest as to what Nektar LPs are quad and which are not and what encoding the quads use. From what I can tell, there are at least two Nektar albums originally in quad. Those are "Remember The Future" and "Down To Earth". Those were definitely SQ and carried SQ markings in Germany.

Many people say that the US copies are also SQ, which I can believe. It seems a minority of people have said the US copies are QS like the other Passport titles. I doubt that. The Mark Anderson discography lists all copies of those two as SQ. Can anyone definitively say the US copies are SQ?

Now the other confusion is that some people have also said "A Tab In The Ocean" was also an unmarked quad. Was it a marked quad in Germany? Is it quad? If so, what matrix.

Also I am confused if there are any other marked or unmarked quads in the US or Germany.

I kind of want to sort this out and see if I can just buy the US copies and save some money. I would like to know what to get and what I'm getting though.

Great questions. I've been wondering about that too.

Old thread back..

I got to listen to those two records again. Both are Passport pressing..
Remember the future is SQ, since I had a demo with it and it decodes just like that.
Down to earth is in QS. I had the chance to A/B it with a cd copy and while cd decodes in SQ, my vinyl copy has the same configuration if I listened to it in QS.

Now, the real question is: I can't seem to find a copy of their 1976 Recycled album to listen to, but I've found a CD copy with the actual mixing which I suppose to be stereo only. But if you listen to the "Geoffrey Emerick mix" it's sure SQ, and it's a different beast.

I found this post by Lucanu on the subject in another thread which further complicates things. And maybe resolves things? And I'm guessing those may be the Italian Passport pressings that were used in the testing. :mad:@::mad:@:

Nektar's German issues of RTF and DTE marked quad are indeed SQ, but they were also additionly released as stereo seperates, as I remembr correctly. Those are the only 2 Bellaphon Bacillus that were "dual inventory", and it's possible, actually highly so, that they eliminated the dual inventory and all subsequent copies are quad "sngle inventory"as I came across (73 onwards), only quad copies in the latter 70's and beyond.

The British issue of DTE on the United Artists label was one half quad.I had a copy with the metal stamper from Bellaphon utilized and one side had the appropriate Q on the album issue along side U.A.'S #, The other side did not. Never had a British copy of RTF for comparison , so that's a mystery still.

Recycled was originally reported as being QS encoded, but I believe someone in the Quad community later had it confirmed as being SQ. I never had a copy for comparison though.

A Tab In The Ocean (US 76 RE-ISSUE ONLY) was repaired or redone in an American Studio and is QS quad encoded.This was confirmed by band member Mo Moore and reported/quoted on QQ some time back.

SANSUI reported that RTF and DTE discs were to be encoded along with a few other titles on the Sire and Passport labels.
Two were confirmed QS on Passport at this time but they were LARRY FAST'S -SYNERGY ELECTRONIC REALIZATIONS.... and Fireballet's disc..
Now it's possible that some discs may have been Encoded simply by stereo to QS encode on the These labels, but not Larry Fast's nor the Fireballet discs.
I know at this time artist's discs of interest were being issued or re'issued from Fleetwood Mac-Vintage Years, and a best of the Turtles to name two.
The Climax Blues Band -Stamp Album was also mentioned and it's only recently been confirmed by myself it was mixed in quad, but whether or not it has been encoded ?? Well the jury is still out.

Sansui also made errors as Larry Fast's 2nd Album Sequencer, was reported, full page in Sansui's audio promo. Larry Fast confirmed it as stereo.

I have a best of Nektar, Thru The Ears, which has some live tracks and tracks from RTF and DTE which I belive are encoded, perhaps SQ, but it is sutle sounding quad matrix.

Also Nektar-Live In New York is binaural but broadcast in SQ via KBFH I do believe.Whether that disc, American retains the SQ broadcast ? Well it's doubtful

Back