What have you received but haven't listened to yet?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YES!! The mailman just dropped off "Friday Night in San Francisco" a few minutes ago. Very apropos (well except for the San Fran part).
Looking forward to this one...

IMG_0213.jpg

Drop another on the pile today

James Taylor - Flag SACD Multichannel - Great Price too 29.99 in Mint condition.......was watching one from Denmark for 47 bux plus 8 bux shipping on Ebay.........happened to check Amazon again like Snood is prone to do , see listing for 29.99............was like hmm, seller mislisted? Contactedthem and they confirmed MCH in Like New condition was like JUMP ON IT!

Seller was IN THE KNOW MUSIC............checked his listings. Not many Sacds but had a couple CD DVD REMs in great condition with solid descriptions

In case any one interested https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=me=A3MZH5774T3P9Q&field-keywords=dvd prices seem decent

Completes my JT surround collection :banana:

For surround? Any new surround gets listened to immediately!

There are piles of stereo though. Specifically 16 bit CD fare. That can sit around for a long time.

Should there be a thread for surround mixes you've started but not finished yet? :D

Now I do have a few of those.

And then there should be a thread for surround mixes you started but didn't finished, and you have no desire to finish them. I got a few of those too.

Maybe I'm too harsh, but, if I can't finish a mix, I just sell it or trade it...many discs have gone through my hands like the Dead's "American Beauty" and I've let them go...although I did listen to the whole disc, I sorta liked it but I have a "spidey" sense regarding my own tastes, so I know I'll never listen to it again....
So far it has worked for me cause I haven't regretted selling ot trading any of those discs....

Maybe I'm too harsh, but, if I can't finish a mix, I just sell it or trade it...many discs have gone through my hands like the Dead's "American Beauty" and I've let them go...although I did listen to the whole disc, I sorta liked it but I have a "spidey" sense regarding my own tastes, so I know I'll never listen to it again....
So far it has worked for me cause I haven't regretted selling ot trading any of those discs....

I don't want to derail this thread, though my comments are sort of related.

I have hundreds of titles. Many and I mean, many, I just don't listen to. I mean, who has time? Does that mean I intend to sell those titles. Eh....I must be a sort of hoarder. lmao

To this day, I have regretted my decision I took in early 80's to sell nearly all my vinyl to make a down payment on a car. :yikes
So, when I start thinking about selling off those titles I own now....I think back.

But yeah, not only do I own titles I haven't opened...I have multiple titles I opened (in a hurry) skipped though a few songs to get a feel of the sound...only to put on the shelf...mostly forgotten. (notice how I'm employing the "..." as made famous by Clint Eastwood.) (y)

Haha. I meant from the perspective of behind the mixing board actually! :) (Because I never get enough work done as quickly as I want to.)

But the bad surround mixes are disappointing for sure. Those circa early 2000 DVDA remixes that were popular for a couple years (American Beauty was one of them) sound like bootlegs. Like they just gave them to a really green intern to knock out for the DVD. The crude stereo mix in front with the awkward reverb in the back and the unsupported (improper ambience) vocal in the center speaker. You had the opportunity to release a surround mix and you just did that?!

I'll take the goofiest quirky experimental quad mix from the '70s over any of that! Even in the more failing ones you hear a sense of experimentation.

The all time winner for making me frustrated beyond belief are the Genesis remixes. Elements of clarity and masterful mix work but with Steve Hackett's guitar intentionally under mixed or removed throughout. And then a mastering disaster with the 'aimed at portable devices' style of blinding high end just to add insult to injury.

I don't want to derail this thread, though my comments are sort of related.

I have hundreds of titles. Many and I mean, many, I just don't listen to. I mean, who has time? Does that mean I intend to sell those titles. Eh....I must be a sort of hoarder. lmao

That's what shuffle play is for!
There's something kind of amusingly decadent about putting your whole surround collection on shuffle play. :D

Haha. I meant from the perspective of behind the mixing board actually! :) (Because I never get enough work done as quickly as I want to.)

But the bad surround mixes are disappointing for sure. Those circa early 2000 DVDA remixes that were popular for a couple years (American Beauty was one of them) sound like bootlegs. Like they just gave them to a really green intern to knock out for the DVD. The crude stereo mix in front with the awkward reverb in the back and the unsupported (improper ambience) vocal in the center speaker. You had the opportunity to release a surround mix and you just did that?!

I'll take the goofiest quirky experimental quad mix from the '70s over any of that! Even in the more failing ones you hear a sense of experimentation.

The all time winner for making me frustrated beyond belief are the Genesis remixes. Elements of clarity and masterful mix work but with Steve Hackett's guitar intentionally under mixed or removed throughout. And then a mastering disaster with the 'aimed at portable devices' style of blinding high end just to add insult to injury.
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one to dislike the American Beauty 5.1. While everyone was raving about the mix I'm hearing tons of reverb like it was recorded in a bathroom. Sure I love the alternate mixes and would never sell it but when I sit down to listen to American Beauty with a nice cold beer I go to the stereo mix through the surround master.

Looking around and I see have I yet to listen to recent purchases of Ben Folds "Songs For Silverman" and David Gilmour "Rattle That Lock".

On the classical side, a couple of discs of Beethoven Symphonies by Paavo Jarvi: Sym. 1, 3, 5 & 8.

Might be time a little Bum-bum-bum-BAAA later this afternoon...

Welllll.....

I only buy stuff I THINK I'll like; which narrows it down quite a bit...(well , that and my budget is quite limited)..if anything, I'm spending most of my money on LPs...(Thin Lizzy, etc....)

Ahhh..Discogs!...so dangerous!

I do this all the time, it's a real gas.

I do sometimes skip around, but mostly I just let the music flow.

Now there are only 4 releases in surround but I highly recommend Zappa in the mix for shuffle play. :D

Back