What have you received but haven't listened to yet?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
American Beauty... sounds like (a) bootleg

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one to dislike the American Beauty 5.1. While everyone was raving about the mix I'm hearing tons of reverb like it was recorded in a bathroom.

Wow, I must have something very different, because to me American Beauty sounds great. And I also own tons of bootlegs, and I think comparatively AB sounds pristine. Oh well; in the ear of the beholder, I guess!

Which song sounds like it was recorded in a bathroom? I should go back to listen for this...

The disc was mixed by a band member who has not mixed tons of surround, but I really thought he did a good job.

Wow, I must have something very different, because to me American Beauty sounds great. And I also own tons of bootlegs, and I think comparatively AB sounds pristine. Oh well; in the ear of the beholder, I guess!

Which song sounds like it was recorded in a bathroom? I should go back to listen for this...

The disc was mixed by a band member who has not mixed tons of surround, but I really thought he did a good job.
Side 1 is not too bad but side 2 seems to ramp up the echo even more. If this was the only mix I ever heard it would be OK but I grew up listening to the stereo mix and am very fond of it. The stereo mix almost sounds flat compared to the 5.1 and that is exactly why I like it.
This is why I don't do reviews here. If I revealed my true feelings on many 5.1 and quad releases I would probably be banned here.

Taking advantage that HMV Canada is going out of business at the end of April. Stock is now 40% off , so I went and got

Pink Floyd - the Early Years (Box Set)

Harmonium - L'Heptade XL (Box Set)

Just checked, I seem to have four. The oldest to newest (to me) is Ginuwine The Life SACD, Tom Cochrane & Red Rider Trapeze DVD Audio, Bryan Ferry Frantic DVD Audio and the JVC Special Edition YES Magnification DVD Audio. Bought them over the years and they're all sealed but I suspect one might be a re-seal though it looks perfect through the plastic. Almost opened the Cochrane a couple of times last year.

This is sad; I've got to get organized... I just found another stack of discs still in the shrinkwrap; one of them, David Gilmour "Live in Gdansk", I repurchased this morning because I thought I didn't own it! ... could end up being a QQ door prize! Here's what was in the stack:

George Benson "Breezin" SACD
Dream Theater (Self Titled DVD)
King Crimson- Discipline, Starless And Bible Black, Lizard, Islands, In The Wake Of Poseidon (DVD-As)
David Gilmour- Live in Gdansk
Grateful Dead- American Beauty (DualDisc)
Bob Dylan- Blonde On Blonde SACD
The Electric Light Orchestra (CD/DVD)
Caravan- In The Land Of Grey And Pink (Deluxe)
Bach Brandenbug Concertos 1-6 (Pentatone) SACD
Mozart "The Tube Only Night Music" (Tacet) SACD
Rachmaninov "Piano Concerto No.2" (Pentatone) SACD
Beethoven Symphonies 3&4 (Tacet) SACD

This is sad; I've got to get organized... I just found another stack of discs still in the shrinkwrap; one of them, David Gilmour "Live in Gdansk", I repurchased this morning because I thought I didn't own it! ... could end up being a QQ door prize! Here's what was in the stack:

George Benson "Breezin" SACD
Dream Theater (Self Titled DVD)
King Crimson- Discipline, Starless And Bible Black, Lizard, Islands, In The Wake Of Poseidon (DVD-As)
David Gilmour- Live in Gdansk
Grateful Dead- American Beauty (DualDisc)
Bob Dylan- Blonde On Blonde SACD
The Electric Light Orchestra (CD/DVD)
Caravan- In The Land Of Grey And Pink (Deluxe)
Bach Brandenbug Concertos 1-6 (Pentatone) SACD
Mozart "The Tube Only Night Music" (Tacet) SACD
Rachmaninov "Piano Concerto No.2" (Pentatone) SACD
Beethoven Symphonies 3&4 (Tacet) SACD

I totally love the Caravan. I know many complain about the Dolby D - but I personally love it. Magical music, with a nice mix. Perfect? Nah, but still great.

Wouldn't it be splendid if they released David Gilmour's superb LIVE in GDANSK as a BD~V/A with "On An Island" in LOSSLESS 5.1?:banana:

It could easily fit on ONE disc!

Wouldn't it be splendid if they released David Gilmour's superb LIVE in GDANSK as a BD~V with "On An Island" in LOSSLESS 5.1?:banana:

It could easily fit on ONE disc!

That would be...ironic, but Great! (Especially if it happened today!!)

Purchased yesterday:

Sting ~ SACRED LOVE (B0000872-36)
A&M records

Derek and the Dominos ~ LAYLA (B0003640-36)
Polydor

Chicago ~ QUADIO (BZ2-553946) 60349788069
Rhino

These 3 will likely remain sealed until the new quad configuration is set up.
Also picked up roughly 20 other regular redbook CDs

Back