70's Quadraphonic Radio Recordings

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q8

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Does anyone have copies of quadraphonic radio broadcasts from the 70's? Not pre-recorded live shows like King Biscuit Flower Hour (although I could use a line on those), but just recordings of regular programming from a quad station like KQIV or WTUE. I understand this could be a touchy issue due to being perceived as piracy by some, please do not break the rules of the forum. Please send a PM if you think your answer to this thread violates the rules of the board. Also I think I read somewhere that sharing recorded radio programming was not a copyright issue but I am no lawyer. So far I have been able to unearth a small amount of air checks, but nothing spectacular.

The only one I'm aware of was The Guess Who at Electric Lady studios that was Broadcast Live and in Quad over WQIV-FM in New York on January 16th, 1975. Somebody had the foresight to record the Stereo side of things in fairly good quality. Not sure how WQIV broadcast (either QS or SQ) but running the playback through my Tate, it does give a sense of being "in the studio". Virtually everything is up front but in the SQ mode, it puts 99% of the lead vocals front and center and occasionally, you get blasted by the backing vocals in the rears in the hard left and right positions.

It's not what I would describe as discrete, but it's a great listen if you're a fan of Burton & the Boys. :music

There were a handful of stations that broadcast everything in quad 24/7. In the case of KQIV, the seemingly ran everything through QS decoders, then QS encoders, before broadcast. I'm not sure if they had some discrete tapes or decoded other quad formats, but even all the stereo content was pre-synthesized.

Heh - I remember being on the first radio station in Louisville to play all our songs from CD, we made quite a boast about it.

Never bothered to admit tough, we were actually dubbing the CD source to common broadcast carts for studio play...!

Does anyone have copies of quadraphonic radio broadcasts from the 70's? Not pre-recorded live shows like King Biscuit Flower Hour (although I could use a line on those), but just recordings of regular programming from a quad station like KQIV or WTUE. I understand this could be a touchy issue due to being perceived as piracy by some, please do not break the rules of the forum. Please send a PM if you think your answer to this thread violates the rules of the board. Also I think I read somewhere that sharing recorded radio programming was not a copyright issue but I am no lawyer. So far I have been able to unearth a small amount of air checks, but nothing spectacular.

Count me in.

BBC Quad live preferred, but any will do just fine.

I'm very interested in any of the KBFH shows--specifically though the Dave Mason episode in quad. If anyone has info on that one, please PM! Thanks :)

Back