Alan Parsons confirmed the Eye In The Sky MCH mix!!!!! :) :)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, but I'll bet they could churn them out relatively quickly if they would just give us the multichannel mixes in cardboard packaging, and stop filling these boxes full of fluff. They can sell the fluff separately.

I think you have given a great reason that goes unnoticed by most of us....the work and time required on these box sets...so many moving parts go into these releases..

Absolutely TRUE and I don't mean to sound facetious but in the end how many of us actually want to 'invest' in outtakes, LPs and a visually stunning 60 page hardbound 'tome' when ALL we really want is the actual album in 5.1?

In my HONEST opinion, if Alan Parsons is going to remix ALL of his albums into 5.1 and from what I garnered from his brief interview, even the 1982 multis for Eye were in decaying condition, the time assembling these boxsets would be better spent in locating ALL of those multis and transferring them to the digital medium IMMEDIATELY before they are absolutely unusable......or we won't be getting future albums in 5.1 because it's TOO LATE!

Why do I get this feeling that we are only going to see a couple more realeases with surround, possibly I, Robot and Turn Of A Friendly Card, and that’s it?

I think the future possibility of more 5.1 surround mixes from the Alan Parsons Project depends a lot on how well the "Eye in the Sky" box set will sell.
If it sells really well, then we may see similar releases like this for all Alan Parsons Project albums (or at least all the records up to and including "Ammonia Avenue")
If it sells moderately well, then we may only get the heavy hitters, like "I Robot" and "Turn of a Friendly Card".
If they don't at least break even, then "Eye in the Sky" might be a one and done as far as Sony & Arista are concerned.

Money talks! ;)

I think the future possibility of more 5.1 surround mixes from the Alan Parsons Project depends a lot on how well the "Eye in the Sky" box set will sell.
If it sells really well, then we may see similar releases like this for all Alan Parsons Project albums (or at least all the records up to and including "Ammonia Avenue")
If it sells moderately well, then we may only get the heavy hitters, like "I Robot" and "Turn of a Friendly Card".
If they don't at least break even, then "Eye in the Sky" might be a one and done as far as Sony & Arista are concerned.

Money talks! ;)

I think you're right. EITS isn't one of my favorite APP albums, but I'm starting to think that I should at least buy the stand alone blu-ray when it comes out, if for no other reason than to support the sales figures necessary to get more multichannel APP catalog material put out. Hell, I'd even contribute to a kickstarter campaign for these releases if that was what it would take for Sony to accomodate us enthusiasts.

I think you're right. EITS isn't one of my favorite APP albums, but I'm starting to think that I should at least buy the stand alone blu-ray when it comes out, if for no other reason than to support the sales figures necessary to get more multichannel APP catalog material put out. Hell, I'd even contribute to a kickstarter campaign for these releases if that was what it would take for Sony to accomodate us enthusiasts.

I think part of the beauty of 5.1 remixes - and especially good ones - is that they often breathe new life in to music that either has worn out its welcome, or that never really connected in the first place. On that basis, I'd personally buy almost anything sight unseen that was newly remixed from an artist I like, and/or anything that rated above about a 7/10 on my own personal rating scale. It seems like we're lucky these days if we get a handful of major-label 5.1 mixes a year, so I'm more than happy to take a gamble on a standalone Blu-Ray - there are worse ways to blow 20 bucks, that's for sure! Eye In The Sky isn't my favourite APP album either (am I the only one who puts Turn Of A Friendly Card at the top?) but I'm certain it will provide some knock-out surround moments courtesy of a remix engineer who 'gets it' with regards to the possibilities that discrete instrument placement in the 5.1 soundfield can provide. And as you say, every copy sold is effectively a vote for the anniversary remix series to continue, so buying a copy of EITS might actually help get you to the album(s) that you want to hear remixed for 5.1.

I think part of the beauty of 5.1 remixes - and especially good ones - is that they often breathe new life in to music that either has worn out its welcome, or that never really connected in the first place. On that basis, I'd personally buy almost anything sight unseen that was newly remixed from an artist I like, and/or anything that rated above about a 7/10 on my own personal rating scale. It seems like we're lucky these days if we get a handful of major-label 5.1 mixes a year, so I'm more than happy to take a gamble on a standalone Blu-Ray - there are worse ways to blow 20 bucks, that's for sure! Eye In The Sky isn't my favourite APP album either (am I the only one who puts Turn Of A Friendly Card at the top?) but I'm certain it will provide some knock-out surround moments courtesy of a remix engineer who 'gets it' with regards to the possibilities that discrete instrument placement in the 5.1 soundfield can provide. And as you say, every copy sold is effectively a vote for the anniversary remix series to continue, so buying a copy of EITS might actually help get you to the album(s) that you want to hear remixed for 5.1.

The Turn Of A Friendly Card is in the top spot for me, too. I've always felt that as an album, start to finish, it's the strongest, most consistent one they've done.
All killer, no filler as far as I'm concerned. With I, Robot right after it.

Those are the put me to sleep songs...LOL

I’ll take “You’re Gonna Get Your Fingers Burned”, “Children Of The Moon”, “Psychobabble” and “Step By Step” as the four songs I’m most looking forward to. I guess, I’m a pop freak. :)

Not sure if I listed my favorite APP albums by order that I’d love to see in surround sound.

1) Pyramid
2) Eve
3) Try Anything Once (okay, not an official app - sans Eric Woolfson)
4) Turn Of A Friendly Card
5) Eye In The Sky (pending release)
6) I, Robot
7) Tales Of Mystery And Imagination (released)
8) Ammonia Avenue

I could care less so about the other albums.
Nonetheless, I’d still purchase the whole catalog on Blu-ray. :)

Those are the put me to sleep songs...LOL

What?! How could anybody fall asleep during that incredible orchestral midsection in "Silence & I"? That is some riveting orchestral work right there!
Also, speaking of riveting, Mel Collins (formerly and currently of King Crimson) provides some riveting sax playing at the end of "Old and Wise".

I’ll take “You’re Gonna Get Your Fingers Burned”, “Children Of The Moon”, “Psychobabble” and “Step By Step” as the four songs I’m most looking forward to. I guess, I’m a pop freak. :)

"Children of the Moon" is another one of my favorites on the album, and "Psychobabble" is also really good.
The other two you mention ("You're Gonna Get Your Fingers Burned" and "Step By Step") are two of the weaker songs on the album IMHO, but it's still a stunning record from start to finish, probably my favorite from them!

:)

Not sure if I listed my favorite APP albums by order that I’d love to see in surround sound.

1) Pyramid
2) Eve
3) Try Anything Once (okay, not an official app - sans Eric Woolfson)
4) Turn Of A Friendly Card
5) Eye In The Sky (done)
6) I, Robot
7) Tales Of Mystery And Imagination (done)
8) Ammonia Avenue

I could care less so about the other albums.
Nonetheless, I’d still purchase the whole catalog on Blu-ray. :)

You seem to be like me in that your interest in the Alan Parsons Project dips off after "Ammonia Avenue".
My problem with their last three albums is that they have too much of an 80s sound to them, so much so that I hope Alan Parsons would remix those to remove the cliche 80s sounds from those records.

Still, I really love the opening track on "Vulture Culture" called "Let's Talk About Me". It reminds me of Supertramp!

:)

Back