Noob questions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel John

I'm new here on QQ, actually stumbled onto the site while looking for a SACD review. So far it has been an invaluable resource. Some really great and extremely knowledgeable folks hang out here. Anyway, I see "SQ" used a lot, thought it meant "Sound Quality" but does not appear to be that when I see it used in the forums here. Can someone explain what "SQ" means? Also while you're at it please explain what Q4, Q8 are...is this reference to number of tracks? Please forgive my noobness....

I'm new here on QQ, actually stumbled onto the site while looking for a SACD review. So far it has been an invaluable resource. Some really great and extremely knowledgeable folks hang out here. Anyway, I see "SQ" used a lot, thought it meant "Sound Quality" but does not appear to be that when I see it used in the forums here. Can someone explain what "SQ" means? Also while you're at it please explain what Q4, Q8 are...is this reference to number of tracks? Please forgive my noobness....

SQ Quadraphonic ("Stereo Quadraphonic") was a matrix 4-channel quadraphonic sound system for vinyl. Storing 4 channels into a 2 channel container. Decoding it worked surprisingly well in isolated cases but shockingly poor in most.

Q4 is quad open reel tape release. (4 track open reel. Plays in one direction.)
Q8 is 8-track cartridge. (2 programs of quad on an 8 track cart tape - stereo program on 8-track was 4 programs of stereo)

FYI, dts and dolby are the modern encoders for storing 6 channel 5.1 surround into a 2 channel container. The core version works (decodes) very poorly but there are extended lossless versions supported by more modern media players.

I dunno but "shockingly poor" SQ decoding in most cases and core DTS/DD decoding "very poorly" could be said to be less factual and more subjective maybe?

not being obtuse, just thinking how some things might come across to a newcomer, you know?

certainly I was hugely turned off SQ matrixed Quad for the longest time due to its reputation and yet I
was super surprised time and again at the excellent results of many SQ LPs when decoded by the SQ Vinyl modded Involve Surround Master.

edit: Ps. If it hasn't been extended already, welcome to QQ :)

Back