Van Morrison and Ry Cooder mixed for quad!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
So I came across this little nugget from the August 4th, 1973 issue of Billboard magazine, in an article talking about labels educating their producers about quad mixing..

wb_vanmorrison_quad.jpg

I was shocked to see Van Morrison's (and Ry Cooder's) name mentioned amongst all the others, because the rest of them were released.

The 'latest album' from Van Morrison at that point would've been Hard Nose The Highway, but what is interesting is that Ted Templeman also produced or did the stereo mixes for the two albums that preceded that one, St. Dominic's Preview (1972) and Tupelo Honey (1971).

Sony acquired Van Morrison's back catalog (which includes all of these albums) a year or two ago, and the press release mentioned that 'Legacy Editions' of both St. Dominic's Preview and Hard Nose The Highway were to be forthcoming as part of the reissue program. I wonder what the chances are that part of the impetus for doing deluxe versions of these albums is that there are unreleased quad mixes?

I'm less familiar with Ry Cooder's output from that period but judging from discogs it looks like he was recording about 2 albums a year for WB at that point so who knows what they mixed for quad from him.

Wouldn't that be way cool. :smokin

St. Dominec's Preview or Hard Nose The Highway or even Tupelo Honey in quad !

The major fly in the ointment might be that Van seems to be an anti-surround type, too bad. :rolleyes:

Given this info on quad unreleased Albums, one must wonder how many other quad albums were mixed but never released. By Ted Templeman and his cohorts for W.E.A. ????

It's not too late for Warner/Rhino to make amends, though. " Quad Sells" in today's market .:banana:

HARD NOSE THE HIGHWAY?!? God, I hope not...bland music on the main, and absolutely ugly cover art. I'd have to force myself to buy that one in quad, though I'm probably demented enough to do so...

Ry Cooder's a great musician, but not a big seller at any time, so other than INTO THE PURPLE VALLEY, not sure what title might have been the one, though PARADISE AND LUNCH (1974) would have been a strange but cool choice.

As for Van being 'anti-surround,' don't think he's ever said that. His complaint about MOONDANCE covered every aspect of a box set he had no control over, his attitude being that the album as releases is all he ever wants out, so he was likely as opposed to the alternates along with the 5.1.

ED :)

HARD NOSE THE HIGHWAY?!? God, I hope not...bland music on the main, and absolutely ugly cover art. I'd have to force myself to buy that one in quad, though I'm probably demented enough to do so...

Ry Cooder's a great musician, but not a big seller at any time, so other than INTO THE PURPLE VALLEY, not sure what title might have been the one, though PARADISE AND LUNCH (1974) would have been a strange but cool choice.

As for Van being 'anti-surround,' don't think he's ever said that. His complaint about MOONDANCE covered every aspect of a box set he had no control over, his attitude being that the album as releases is all he ever wants out, so he was likely as opposed to the alternates along with the 5.1.

ED :)

Perhaps he's not anti-surround. I'd like to think otherwise but "where's the surround/quad product"??

When he was on Capitol/Blue Note, it was announced in the DVDA community that "Down The Road" was prepped in surround for a subsequent DVDA release .

Hope one day soon to be proven wrong, as for me his music is so very good. BTW,"It's Too Late To Stop Now" somehow missed 5.1 in the deluxe edition.:rolleyes:

But if he made or contibuted to any quad releases in the early 70's, "Veedon Fleece" would be my top pick followed by "St Dominec's Preview".
He is certainly one artist this fan would love to have in more surround.

Back