Oppo 103 and DTS 5.1 problems on recent BR disk's

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterzach

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I can't be the only one having these problems. I know LPCM 5.1 is fine but many times I just put disk's in and just press play as to lazy to turn screen on, well with dts 5.1 usually being your default track when just pressing play this is not good for my ears and speakers.

Have 3 BR Disk's now that have issues with DTS 5.1

Steven Wilson-4 1/2
Alan Parsons-Tales of Mystery and Imagination
Blackfield-V

First time I came across the problem was Steven Wilson 4 1/2 and its between songs 3 and 4 that the blast of static happens
Now its happened on the Alan Parsons and Blackfield and its as soon as you press play on the dts track you get just static.

LPCM works fine for all 3 of these disks so happy about that.

I reported this for the Steven Wilson here but no one had a issue or everyone plays LPCM.

Put the bluray in my Oppo 103 and sat back and as all SW's are such clean recordings cranked up the receiver.
Everything sounding awesome and then when it goes from song 3-4 pure STATIC noise(went on for a while), didn't have my controller near me so almost fell out of my chair and got over to receiver to turn it down.
Has anyone else had this problem, this is on the dts master audio 5.1,I think the Lpcm 5.1 is fine?
I put it back to the end of song 3 and then as it gets to 18 minute mark or there abouts and it does it everytime as it goes from song 3 to 4.

Is this a Oppo problem or do I have a defective disk?

peter

Hi Peter, I just played this disc (4 1/2, Steven Wilson) in dts (first time) and I didn't have the problem (Marantz UD5007).
Alan Parsons-Tales of Mystery and Imagination also plays flawless.

I have a Marantz Sr6007 Receiver and using Hdmi connections for Audio and for Video go straight from Oppo to Plasma Tv and I use the Pure Direct mode on Receiver for Audio setting.
This is very puzzling.

peter

Have you got the latest firmware for the Oppo?

Comparing to the previous Official release version BDP10X-83-0715, the major changes included in this version are:

• Resolved an issue with gapless playback. (BDP10X-83-1226B)
  • Resolved a no audio issue with certain receivers when playing DD+ 5.1 content from Netflix and Vudu. (BDP10X-83-0918B)
  • Resolved an issue where the player would automatically power off when receiving commands via a TCP connection. (BDP10X-83-0918B)
  • General disc compatibility improvements based on recent and upcoming Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted disc samples.
All features and improvements of the previous firmware are also included in this version.

I can't be the only one having these problems. I know LPCM 5.1 is fine but many times I just put disk's in and just press play as to lazy to turn screen on, well with dts 5.1 usually being your default track when just pressing play this is not good for my ears and speakers.

Steven Wilson-4 1/2
Blackfield-V

First time I came across the problem was Steven Wilson 4 1/2 and its between songs 3 and 4 that the blast of static happens
Now its happened on the Alan Parsons and Blackfield and its as soon as you press play on the dts track you get just static.

I reported this for the Steven Wilson here but no one had a issue or everyone plays LPCM.

Put the bluray in my Oppo 103 and sat back and as all SW's are such clean recordings cranked up the receiver.
Everything sounding awesome and then when it goes from song 3-4 pure STATIC noise(went on for a while), didn't have my controller near me so almost fell out of my chair and got over to receiver to turn it down.
Has anyone else had this problem, this is on the dts master audio 5.1,I think the Lpcm 5.1 is fine?
I put it back to the end of song 3 and then as it gets to 18 minute mark or there abouts and it does it everytime as it goes from song 3 to 4.

peter

Peter, try pulling out the main plug on the player and let it sit for about 20 minutes and plug it back it.

Sometimes all the unit needs is a reboot.

My wifi wasn't working recently and I pulled out the main and voila....it was fine!

Also, are you up to date on your firmware updates?

And thanks to wavelength for the latest firmware update info on the BDP 103/105.

I have a BDP-93 and on occasion, when I play a DTS disc, it will start with a few seconds of DTS static. It is like there is a lag time between when the disc starts playing and when my equipment realizes that it has DTS decoder. This has happened only a few times and always at the start of the disc. It is quite startling if you have the volume turned up.

Have you got the latest firmware for the Oppo?

Comparing to the previous Official release version BDP10X-83-0715, the major changes included in this version are:

• Resolved an issue with gapless playback. (BDP10X-83-1226B)
  • Resolved a no audio issue with certain receivers when playing DD+ 5.1 content from Netflix and Vudu. (BDP10X-83-0918B)
  • Resolved an issue where the player would automatically power off when receiving commands via a TCP connection. (BDP10X-83-0918B)
  • General disc compatibility improvements based on recent and upcoming Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted disc samples.
All features and improvements of the previous firmware are also included in this version.

I just checked I have the BDP10X-83-1226(mine does not have a B at the end so assume this is not in Beta mode any more)which I think is the most current version, others using this as well?

I have HDMI set to AUTO.

What else should I be checking for.

Just my luck that I have the lucky combo like I had years ago with the receiver that I was using had a issue with some special code they put on that disk for Peter Gabriel Play dvd and dropped sound by 30 db on dts setting.
Maybe its a similar thing and my receiver is having a issue with these BR's for some reason.
Guess no one else has this same Receiver and Oppo match as if you did I am pretty sure you would be complaining of the same problem.

Last edited:
I did a bit of testing with Blackfield V.
When in master Dts 5.1 songs 1,4,8,9,10 all do the static the rest are fine.
If I fast forward the song just a few seconds while in static mode then it plays fine the rest of the way but once it gets to one of the other problem songs again pure static as soon as song starts, fast forward again and it plays rest of the way.
If I went forward or backwords through songs as soon as start of the ones I listed again pure static.

I did this all at very low volume setting as the static noise is loud when coming from all speakers.

Contact the company they have the best customer service ever and they will sort it out for you and tell you what the problem is

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

Steven Wilson-4 1/2
Blackfield-V

peter

Peter...you are not alone...I have the Oppo 103D and I just recently played Tales Of Mystery and Imagination for the first time(had purchased it when it first came out but only listened recently)and I don't get static...but it does "cut out"...like a record skipping...I am testing other Pure Audio surround releases right now to determine if it is the disc or the Oppo...so far I have tested Genesis Selling England By The Pound and Rush Farewell to Kings and Fly By Night....however since you mentioned static...a month ago I played a James Bond Blu Ray(forgot which one)and there was static on it...I actually was afraid it was some type of disc rot...as I was a victim of Laser Rot...back in the day....I suspect it is the Oppo...I have the most recent firmware update...but I'm going to tests more discs and see if it does it on any other discs...just like you on Tales.... it's only the dts master audio 5.1 mode... I don't have the other discs you mentioned...I have an extended warranty so I'm covered if it's an Oppo problem...but I'm hoping it's not....

Last edited:
My "crappy " Sony blu-ray player plays "Tales ".. just fine .

But I'm being kind when I say crappy. Last nite I was watching "The Last Waltz " and the FN picture disappeared and I had to unplug and replug (rapidly ) to restore the picture with my HDMI cable . What's weird is the audio plays great and that's an upgraded HDMI cable (Rocketfish) I use .

So yes it's my player ,Sony Baloney , but not the discs.

P.S. WELCOME BACK CLINT .!! Miss your "deals of the day " moxy " :D

So I am going to copy from Marillion thread as a Andreas said had issue as well with Misplaced Chidlhood,

"Hi Peter,

that's not good . I have exactly the same issues you are reporting on the other thread with Alan Parsons and 4 1/2/Steven Wilson. I guess I did not realize this problem before because usually I rip everything to FLAC and play with my Media Center PC.

So I will be looking for a new AV receiver when the offer season starts in November

Many thanks for clearing this up,
Andreas"

I knew there was some link to the Marantz Receiver I have and something had to have been done differently on these Bluray disc's that the older Marantz Receiver's don't like as I never had a issue with any other Bluray's before these last ones.

As reported in Marillion thread this is now my 4th Ray Shulman authered disk that my Receiver does not like.

Really glad to finally get my copy of the 5 disk Marillion package.
As Andreas reported and same on my Marantz 6007 receiver and Oppo BR I get the static noise on track 1 and on extra track Nina with DTS-HD, very annoying.
Another Ray Shulman authored so he has definitely done something different in his authoring from years ago as the Marantz Receiver I have does not like what is being sent through from this BR disk as well as 3 others.

So thats 4 disk's now causing problems:

Steven Wilson-4 1/2
Blackfield-V
Marillion-Misplaced Childhood

I have sent a email to a Marantz contact in Canada, not sure if I will get any help but I am giving it a try. I am not really looking forward to having to get another new receiver as my norm is to listen to things LOUD and if I forget to not switch from dts on these disk's there is a chance I could blow my speakers because of this flaw.

Well add another Steven Wilson disk to my problem pile as same problem with "To The Bone" and DTS noise explosion:

Steven Wilson-4 1/2
Blackfield-V
Marillion-Misplaced Childhood
Steven Wilson-To The Bone

Marantz have not replied back at all.

Thankfully LPCM 5.1 works, just have to always remember to switch stream as DTS is the default stream.

Back