Multichannel SACDs Without Stereo SACD Tracks

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
I'm curious, though: your image indicates stereo and 5.1, as opposed to importCDs' image which specifies single-layer multi-channel.

The single-layer description just means there is no CD layer on this SACD. All SACDs have a stereo DSD layer to them.

The single-layer description just means there is no CD layer on this SACD. All SACDs have a stereo DSD layer to them.

The ONLY multichannel hybrid SACD I know of that does not have a Stereo SACD layer (but has an RBCD layer) is Telarc's Erich Kunzel's "The Big Picture." This disc used to come up in discussion from time to time at the old SA~CD.net because disgruntled stereo SACD users brought this oversight to our attention.

Actually there are a few Multichannel SACDs Without Stereo SACD tracks.
Including Stereo SACD tracks on a Multichannel SACD release is recommended, but not required.

One that comes to mind is Ray Charles: Live at the Olympia 2000 from XIII Bis Records.
It's a Multichannel SACD - with no Stereo SACD tracks.

2744.jpg

http://sa-cd.net/showtitle/2744

Then there is this unusual disc: Seigen Ono: Forest and Beach which on the multichannel layer of the two discs features only environmental sounds (of a forest [SACD 1] and a beach [SACD 2]) and on the stereo layers features some wonderful jazz and popular music: http://hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=1679#tracks

And then there's another Classical Audiophile sampler Stereo SACD I own which has two entirely different programs on the Stereo SACD layer and RBCD stereo layer whose title escapes me. I'm sure Brian Moura knows the disc I'm alluding to. AFAIK, this company only released this single SACD.

Addenda: The Classical audiophile sampler in question is: http://www.marecordings.com/main/product_info.php?cPath=56&products_id=108

Last edited:

pretty tough one to find on Surround SACD but worth it..
frustrating review there @the old sa-cd.net site.. the music was made for MultiCh, or rather MultiCh music was made for such an album.. but no mention made, rather a half star rating due to there being no Hi-res Stereo, when its an easy 4 & 1/2 star Surround disc imho!

frustrating review there @the old sa-cd.net site.. the music was made for MultiCh, or rather MultiCh music was made for such an album.. but no mention made, rather a half star rating due to there being no Hi-res Stereo, when its an easy 4 & 1/2 star Surround disc imho!

But if you perused the comment section above the review only 3 out of 8 found the review helpful. Such a lovely album and such a meh review. Oh well, their loss. If you recall, I always tried to convert the MANY SA~CDnetters who were diehard stereo listeners to switch to multi and that's why my head was always on the chopping block over there....among OTHER reasons.:yikes

But if you perused the comment section above the review only 3 out of 8 found the review helpful. Such a lovely album and such a meh review. Oh well, their loss. If you recall, I always tried to convert the MANY SA~CDnetters who were diehard stereo listeners to switch to multi and that's why my head was always on the chopping block over there....among OTHER reasons.:yikes

The world is a cruel place.

Some people just pay attention to what's in front of them-ignoring the rest of the world.

Back