Chuck Berry - RIP

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Time to rewatch "Hail Hail Rock'n'Roll".

What a true pioneer, the original rock and roll singer-songwriter. Excellent lyricist, inventive musician, tremendous showman, what else can you say. He was everything. Despite his flaws, this guy was the real deal and survived through all the racist crap, spanned generations, and provide music joy to almost everyone on this Earth. And somewhere out there, the Voyager is sailing into the void of space, and on board is Chuck Berry, rockin' on.

RIP

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-father-rock-n-roll-dead-90-article-1.3002306

Here is my initial reaction: Few things can sadden me as much as this news even though it had to come eventually. I am also angry at god for taking you. I should resign to be blessed that you got to grace the earth for 90 years but it is still heartbreaking to see you go. You created Rock and Roll in 1955 and in doing so, you influenced all music from the late 20th century to present. All modern music traces it's roots back to you. All forms of Rock, Pop, Hip-Hop, R&B, Modern country and Modern Jazz. It can all trace roots to your hands. You created generations of guitar gods, many of which left the earth long before you. Your music represented the US on the Golden Record on the Voyager Probes sent out to hopefully find life in the infinite and now you too have left the world to travel into the infinite. We all love you Chuck Berry and you cannot be replaced.:(

Fuck off. :yikes

A buddy and I were JUST talking about him and my friend thought CB was already dead (unaware of this news) to which I replied: He ain't dead yet! Guess I'm a liar.

This sucks. It's such a great loss that we're losing all these talented, talented people and they just are not being replaced. There will never be another Buddy Holly, or Elvis. There will never be another Jim Morisson or Jimi Hendrix.

There will never be another Chuck Berry. Through the good and the bad, the ups and the downs; the one thing you absolutely have to respect is the man lived life his way.

Chuck was amazing. I got to see him (he was in his 60's) still duck walkin. I was with my very pregnant lady about 4 rows from the stage at the Hult Center. a very nice theater. Our daughter kicked her about every other minute, not sure but she thought she was getting down in the womb. Unreal gig. Still one of the most memorable nights, RIP.

A true pioneer and a major influence on not only a generation of fans, but also musicians. Will be missed, but left a truly lasting legacy.
Time to celebrate with a toast and a listen.

Fuck off. :yikes

A buddy and I were JUST talking about him and my friend thought CB was already dead (unaware of this news) to which I replied: He ain't dead yet! Guess I'm a liar.

This sucks. It's such a great loss that we're losing all these talented, talented people and they just are not being replaced. There will never be another Buddy Holly, or Elvis. There will never be another Jim Morisson or Jimi Hendrix.

There will never be another Chuck Berry. Through the good and the bad, the ups and the downs; the one thing you absolutely have to respect is the man lived life his way.

I understand your feelings - and I feel the same. Oddly, I was not necessarily a CB fan, but I completely understand his undisputed ranking in importance in rock music. wow! I feel an immense loss, just that he won't be replaced...as you say. Not gonna happen. Thank God for pioneers like Chuck. We all feel his influence.

WOW, I had totally forgotten about BOTH Voyagers!!!...He definitely deserved to be in that gold LP that runs at 16 RPMs...for when an Alien Civilization (or many) finds it and can hear him...humans will have probably destroyed the Earth (we're halfway there, anyway)...

Hail hail, Rock n'Roll..Chuck Berry was its indisputable Dad! And he lived to the ripe old age of 90...makes me feel better...

RIP Mr. Berry!

I understand your feelings - and I feel the same. Oddly, I was not necessarily a CB fan, but I completely understand his undisputed ranking in importance in rock music. wow! I feel an immense loss, just that he won't be replaced...as you say. Not gonna happen. Thank God for pioneers like Chuck. We all feel his influence.

That's the incredible thing about people like CB. You may not have been a direct fan but if you like rock and roll (and I think you do), you're hearing Chuck's DNA.

Something like this... :D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J9zMOxVj2Ec

What the heck! Here's one more. I love the look on Lemmy's face when he comes out. LOL!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mrBatz0vaGI

Yep. CB took the 12 bar blues his contemporaries played and sped it up. Then he used the pentatonic-minor scale to solo over the 1-4-5 chord changes although he usually stayed in the same key during the solo. And he also probably didn't realize he was using the pentatonic scale.

What would the Stones be without Chuck's infamous Johnny B Goode riff? Pretty well every riff Keith plays is based on that structure.

God bless Chuck Berry for doing enough to take care of himself so that we had him around for 90 years. Heck, like some others I didn't realize he was still alive. Most in his business do not last anywhere near that long, and a notable few didn't even make it to 30.

The first time I became aware of Chuck Berry was when my family got the album Meet The Beatles. Just loved how they did the instrumentation on Roll Over Beethoven.

Astonishing he was 90. He truly did make a career of it didn't he. I don't know why this one bothers me so. I guess there are really just a handful of mega-legends and he's one of them.

What a cool dude he must have been back in his prime. :)

ChuckBerry2.jpg

What more can I add than has been said in the above posts? A Pioneer of rock is gone. :( One thing that made me smile was thinking about " My Ding-A-Ling". It still cracks me up to this day. R.I.P. Chuck.

Back