Interesting Quad Relic: Santana and Alice Coltrane Illuminations from WQSR 102.5

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q8

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I got this off discogs, ironically enough the seller didn't mention it was a promo copy. This also has WQSR written on the labels and front. WQSR was a Quadraphonic station in Sarasota! So it appears I have a quad copy of Santana and Alice Coltrane Illuminations that belonged to a quad radio station. Cool piece of history if you ask me. Did anyone listen to this station?

From Wikipedia: During part of this period, the station added quadraphonic sound, and promoted itself as "Quad One-Oh-Two-And-A-Half". The free-form music format would eventually suffer challenges from other formats that eroded its Arbitron ratings in the critical 25-34 and 25-54 demographics.

QSR On-air Staff:
Steven Burgess
Neal Mirsky
Brock Whaley

IMG_20170320_215158.jpg

IMG_20170320_214650.jpg

IMG_20170320_214544.jpg

IMG_20170320_214426.jpg

I found that WQSR played the King Biscuit Flower shows.

I used to listen to WQSR 102.5 FM when I lived in Tampa FL. They played lots of mellowed types of rock and smooth fake jazz.

SQ broadcasting must have been worse than SQ tapes and LPs, huh?

I recently came across a labelled demo record that cleary was for FM broadcast and the album cover (Deodato 2) indicated stereo.

But the station put a little white label on it to indicate not 4 sale, etc. and quad record ? Shure enough inside the jacket, the vinyl disc has a "white label "and is clearly indicated as "Quadraphonic " for radio play only.

CTI discs used yellow w/ red print ., including the stereo indicated (secretly quads ). Me thinks I shoulda bought it.

I recently came across a labelled demo record that cleary was for FM broadcast and the album cover (Deodato 2) indicated stereo.

But the station put a little white label on it to indicate not 4 sale, etc. and quad record ? Shure enough inside the jacket, the vinyl disc has a "white label "and is clearly indicated as "Quadraphonic " for radio play only.

CTI discs used yellow w/ red print ., including the stereo indicated (secretly quads ). Me thinks I shoulda bought it.

Yeah, I would have bought a white label Deodato 2 Quad if the the price was good.

Yeah, I would have bought a white label Deodato 2 Quad if the the price was good.

that reminds me I need to redo that Japanese Deodato 2 CD-4 with the 'new' demodulator..
fwiw I've quite a few Demonstration Quad LPs now, some CBS label SQ records with the exact same black ink stamp as your Illuminations SQ, other CBS label SQ record sleeves have gold embossed stamp, plus some CD-4 promo's/demonstration discs that have stamped sleeves.. I think pics of a number of them should be somewhere on QQ, I went thru a phase (when I was new-fangled with Quad from vinyl records!) of posting pics of them everywhich way up here.. :eek:

that reminds me I need to redo that Japanese Deodato 2 CD-4 with the 'new' demodulator..
fwiw I've quite a few Demonstration Quad LPs now, some CBS label SQ records with the exact same black ink stamp as your Illuminations SQ, other CBS label SQ record sleeves have gold embossed stamp, plus some CD-4 promo's/demonstration discs that have stamped sleeves.. I think pics of a number of them should be somewhere on QQ, I went thru a phase (when I was new-fangled with Quad from vinyl records!) of posting pics of them everywhich way up here.. :eek:

I sold my only King Records CD-4 disc of DEODATO 2 ,,15 years back but, but, but and i can't emphasize this enough, it was a nice clean pressing with very little surface noise.....so hopefully "your's is no disgrace". :smokin

Back