Kenwood KR-9940 - New acquisition

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macdude

In the coming weeks I'll be trading an old Pioneer RT-1020L open reel deck for a nice, fully functional KR-9940. I've read a little about the Kenwood and although it probably won't come close to my QRX-7001's decoding capabilities, I'm still interested in it for it's power and looks. Sadly it is missing the CD-4 module and I doubt that's easy to find, however I already use the JVC unit for CD-4. My main concern is the ability to play QS LPs. What are my options here? The only outboard decoders for QS I can find are also rear amplifiers. Obviously I don't want to buy more than I require to do the job. I remember the RM option on my Pioneer 949 did an alright job with QS. Should I expect the same for the Kenwood? Any recommendations on a decent outboard QS unit? I may just post in the wanted area. Opinions on the receiver overall? I am very comfortable and equipped to repair this equipment as I do it on the side for some extra income, so if it needs work that's no problem.

Clearly I had a brain fart. RM is the non-tradename version of QS, so that should work fine for me. Still interested on opinions of this unit. If anyone has the CD-4 module for it, I may be into picking it up, just so this guy is complete.

Back