Well had to post this

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nite1922

It is a little walk down memory for me. Descriptions will be with every photo.
DSC_0041.jpg
This was my Frankenstein I put together when I was 20ish.
DSC_0042.jpg
Inside Frankenstein. Used a Kenwood car crossover to split the signal to the three bands feeding the 3 Marantz SQA2s. Had manual rear blend and a Marantz CD 400B modified the accept line in level. Ahh the old days when I was young. It served faithfully until a few years ago when a noise started in the rear channel, so I retired it and ran stereo till a few months ago.
DSC_0043.jpg
This is my current setup. The Sony SQD2010 was never used. I will tell anyone, if you can find a well maintained SQD2010, buy it. one of the nicest sound stages you will ever hear. Below that is a Sansui QSD-1. This lady has had modifications to speed the input circuit up and open the sound stage. Head to head there is no discernible difference between the SQ and the QS.
DSC_0044.jpg
This is my second SQD2010. She is in a bit rougher condition, so she is going to be an experimental toy. I have read about the Tate2 and such, and some of the shortfalls as well as the many strengths it had. I have been studying the CBS paramatrix system and will be designing a drop in board to emulate this system.
If I am successful, I will be releasing the schematic for free.
DSC_0045.jpg
A few of the SQA2 modules laying around here
DSC_0046.jpg
A few Marantz CD400Bs yes the boxes are full.
DSC_0047.jpg
No problem getting replacement IC's for these either
Just arrived today
DSC_0048.jpg
And one other little look on one of the in house computers. Pioneer QX-747, and Sansui QS-100
Enjoy

I've recently started keeping an eye out for a Sony SQD-2010 based on some old threads here on QQ. Not like I need another SQ decoder (*cough* along with a Space & Image Composer *cough*).

I've recently started keeping an eye out for a Sony SQD-2010 based on some old threads here on QQ. Not like I need another SQ decoder (*cough* along with a Space & Image Composer *cough*).

:D. Nice, Has your unit had the series 2 IC upgrade done?
To this day, I still kick myself for not buying a Tate2 that went on ebay for 700 bucks several years ago.
My old Frankenstein worked decently on hall and composer, but I tricked it with the manual variable blend and in hall it bypassed the front channels directly to the front amp. Did what I knew at the time, 34 years ago.
My experimental 2010 I sniped off ebay for 275 bucks and it has a few problems, but is listenable
The one in my system , I got for 180 bucks and had never been used.
It even synthesizes info off of stereo pretty damn decently.
Of course, if I am expecting if I am successful in reproducing the Paramatrix control it should do a very nice synthesis.
This leaves me with a question for you, and I realize this is subjective so I want your honest opinion.
Almost all people will agree the Tate system is excellent at separation.
Now some people have said the motion in the soundstage is smooth and controlled, while others have said the Tate pulls the sound stage.
Can I have your thoughts on your experience.
Best regards

There is a test between the TATE 11 and the Surround Master
coming up you may get some answers there
Ron

I don't know if my Tate had the factory chip upgrade done back in the day, and I don't think it's had any modifications or repairs otherwise. I'm probably at least the third owner of this unit.
I never did much A/B comparison with my only other SQ decoder (Lafayette SQ-W), but the one thing I did notice between the two last time I did was that the Lafayette had more bass presence,
or at least the Tate lacked it and sounded brighter and more treble-y.

Thanks much, surround.sound.enthusiast
The Sony 2010 has a very smooth sound over the entire bandwidth.
Anyway, I have figured out the selective cancellation of the paramatrix system.
Now to put into practice.
It will be a retrofit to Sony SQD2010s to start.
Pull ic604 which will migrate to the add in board, and this will plug in to the socket.
Thank God for miniatureization ,because this board would have been table sized if discreet
Off the shelf components, the add in board will probably be about 4 inches square.
It consists of about 6 ic's not including the migrated cx718, and support circuitry, plus, believe it or not, I had to use two npn transistors
to do a directional comparator.
That and a few 1N4148s for steering.
Anyway, math says it should be infinite separation all directions(read >35db)on all signal sources
I will be testing this in my second SQD2010, which will also be getting a makeover with a new power supply and the meters will be gone, replaced by an XY oscilloscope
FUN,FUN,FUN

Yes must agree with the the SQD-2010 is the best from Sony, I have all 3 (2000/2010/2020) as well as a SQE-2000

The main differences are -

SQD-2000 was made with 2x A4 single-sided copper circuit boards mounted one on top of the other - all discrete transistors with no ICs

SQD-2010 was made with 1x A4 single-sided copper circuit board - using both discrete transistors and custom ICs

SQD-2020 was made with 1x A4 double-sided copper circuit board (not PTH, but riveting to join one side to the other) - all discrete transistors with no ICs

The main issue was always with the 2020 - the rivets caused intermittent connections over time / due to rosen flux eating into the contacts, easy fix - just resolder all the joints (on both sides) of each rivet.:mad:@:

Back