Anathema - The Optimist

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

César

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
New record from Anathema to be released on June 9th on Kscope. Nothing said yet about formats but I guess it is safe to expect a surround version like in al their latest studio released

One more place to order all this editions, some of them as T-shirt bundles:
https://www.musicglue.com/anathema/shop

The first track entitled “Springfield” from forthcoming new studio album.(y)

[video=youtube_share;8y1ROzCUpbU]https://youtu.be/8y1ROzCUpbU[/video]
Oops, I was beaten...:)

I was fortunate enough to be asked to play test the 5.1 for Bruce, so I have heard it already.

I'm happy to report (as a long time Anathema fan) that it's a stunning album - imho easily the best since WHBWH. Not a single weak track in there, in fact pretty much every song is top drawer. :banana:

In addition Bruce has done a wonderful job with the 5.1. It's discrete, high dynamic range and immersive and the mixes really work with the songs. In fact I think I'm going to give it another listen tonight. :)

I was fortunate enough to be asked to play test the 5.1 for Bruce, so I have heard it already.

I'm happy to report (as a long time Anathema fan) that it's a stunning album - imho easily the best since WHBWH. Not a single weak track in there, in fact pretty much every song is top drawer. :banana:

In addition Bruce has done a wonderful job with the 5.1. It's discrete, high dynamic range and immersive and the mixes really work with the songs. In fact I think I'm going to give it another listen tonight. :)

You just sold me Neil. Sooooo

Pre-ordered! Blu-ray from the Shed. :)

I loved Jens Bogren's 5.1 mix on Distant Satellites, particularly the stunning final two tracks on the album. I was not very happy I had to order from Japan to get the only lossless version so I'm very happy to see there is a standalone Blu-ray option available for all regions.

Oddly enough, my least fave 5.1 mix from Anathema of the three albums I've heard in surround has been Steven Wilson's mix, it just sounds crowded to me and I can't enjoy it turned up...whereas the track "Distant Satellites" sounds best nice and cranked.

I'm only familiar with Soord's 5.1 mixing on Anathema's live release, I'm eager to hear how he handles the studio material. Are there any other studio 5.1 mixes he's done currently available as a lossless format (download, DVD-A, SACD or Blu-ray only)?

I loved Jens Bogren's 5.1 mix on Distant Satellites, particularly the stunning final two tracks on the album. I was not very happy I had to order from Japan to get the only lossless version so I'm very happy to see there is a standalone Blu-ray option available for all regions.

Oddly enough, my least fave 5.1 mix from Anathema of the three albums I've heard in surround has been Steven Wilson's mix, it just sounds crowded to me and I can't enjoy it turned up...whereas the track "Distant Satellites" sounds best nice and cranked.

I'm only familiar with Soord's 5.1 mixing on Anathema's live release, I'm eager to hear how he handles the studio material. Are there any other studio 5.1 mixes he's done currently available as a lossless format (download, DVD-A, SACD or Blu-ray only)?

Yep. The new reissue of "The Great Cold Distance" from Katatonia (on DVDA-V), "Love Fear and the Time Machine" from Riverside (on DVDA-V), parts of "Blackfield V" (on Blu-Ray), "Rejoice, I'm Dead" by Gong (on DVDA-V) and of course "Your Wilderness" from his own band the Pineapple Thief (on DVDA-V)

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to see that they are still doing 5.1's and that Bruce Soord is involved, am liking Bruce's mixing more and more from when he first started.
The Bluray will be what I will order.

peter

In addition Bruce has done a wonderful job with the 5.1. It's discrete, high dynamic range and immersive and the mixes really work with the songs.
Did you play test his raw mixes, pre-mastering? Because if so, it's possible that they will be less dynamic as released if they get mastered.

Speaking of mastering, I'd put most of the blame for the "crowded" nature of the WHBWH surround on Jon Astley's mastering. It is also one of Steven's earliest stereo and 5.1 mixes for another artist, so that may be in play.

Last edited:
Speculation here, Jedi, but based off of BS's past few 5.1 releases (Riverside, The Wilderness, Fall of Hearts, Great Cold Distance), I really have no concerns with the 5.1 mix itself being overtly-compressed..

Speculation here, Jedi, but based off of BS's past few 5.1 releases (Riverside, The Wilderness, Fall of Hearts, Great Cold Distance), I really have no concerns with the 5.1 mix itself being overtly-compressed..
No, I'm not concerned about overcompression during the mix, but in mastering. As I said, I think Jon Astley's mastering harmed the WHBWH 5.1. It's great to hear from Neil that the mixes are dynamic, but if he wasn't hearing the final product...

Well, yeah, I get that you're referring to the mastering, but what I'm saying is that the past few surround releases BS has been involved with have not had the dynamics crushed in the mastering stage, and I'm thinking BS has had a clear hand in that aspect. Again, that's speculation on my part, but I'm pretty confident the blu-ray is not going to be a compressed mess. :)(y) The stereo mix could be a different story, though...

I hope they release "Judgement" in 5.1 in 2019 (or hopefully before) for it's 20th anniversary. My fave Antahema album.

Back