Anathema - The Optimist

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never really gotten into Anathema at all but a while back the trailer they posted for this new album sounded much more like an album I might enjoy. So, I streamed it and was pretty pleased - enough to make me want to buy a copy.

I was tempted to just get the blu-ray, but the box for $30us shipped was too good a deal to pass up - and if for some reason Amazon.de doesn't follow through (sez 2-4 weeks) I'll just get the blu-ray.

I have similar feelings as you. They have mostly bored me.....it's like I listen and I keep waiting for it to get interesting...but it never does. Though, I keep giving my money in hopes...

Received my single Blu-ray edition today from the Shed. The fidelity and mix are outstanding. I won't comment on the music as it will require me to listen in depth. Bruce is getting good at this.... :)

For some reason, that link does not work for me.

I tried and it's little weird - video only played when my mouse pointer was inside the video box/frame, if I moved it outside it would stop immediately then start up again if I moved the pointer back inside.

I have similar feelings as you. They have mostly bored me.....it's like I listen and I keep waiting for it to get interesting...but it never does. Though, I keep giving my money in hopes...

I guess their music can tend to ramble on a bit, but overall they are one of my favorite modern surround artists. I like the feel and vibe of what they do, even if it is a little trance-inducing from time to time. There is also a power and intensity to many of their musical passages, so it balances out for me.
It doesn't hurt that I'm a wee bit in love with Lee Douglas... :)

Snood first Anathema purchase only because Bruce Soord involved :banana:

My box set arrived today. Just got back from a long trip and my musical listening sessions are seriously backed up right now so don't know when I will open it. Still have 2 Beatles box sets to get to first.

I'm on my second listen now. Just what I thought. It IS better than Distant Satellites. Many of the songs sound a lot like they could be from the follow up to The Pineapple Thief's, Your Wilderness.

This is a stunning surround mix - not only are the instruments spread all around but there are a lot of subtle nuances going on in the background. Great work by Bruce. :banana::banana::banana:

I had totally forgotten (imagine that) that this is the title that I accidentally ordered twice. Once in the blu-ray version and another from the shed in the CD/DVD version. Oh well. I may just leave the deluxe wrapped.

EDIT - not the deluxe edition, the CD/DVD version.

I had totally forgotten (imagine that) that this is the title that I accidentally ordered twice.

If you keep double dipping, you're going to be double broke...lol

I'm curious to know what other QQ members have "Your Wilderness" and if you find "The Optimist" similar with some of the tracks.

Great album! Now I'm trying to figure out if I want the deluxe box since the only way I'll be playing this is in surround.

Got myself the 4 disc set.
A bit redundant as far as content goes (CD, DVD + Bluray all contain the same basic content), but I couldn't pass on the photo book. Especially because Amazon.de has it on offer for a mere 25 euros, which is an absolute bargain. Nice one!

I scored The Optimist an 8 in the poll:
7 for musical content and
9 for sound/surround

I admit to probably being a bit harsh with the 7 for content, but I prefer their previous album (Distant Sattelites). But I am here to tell you that I am starting to enjoy The Optimist more with each listen...
Ah well.

I just got the blu-ray this time round. Almost ordered the deluxe but after the album leaked way back in early May I did have a sneaky listen (once only) but nothing really grabbed me so decided not to splurge on the deluxe.

I've only listened a few times but it's not doing much for me as a whole, there are some excellent bits but overall a bit flat. The 5.1 mix really does open the album up a lot more for me and is making it much more enjoyable - I will be giving it more plays because it's worth it for the excellent mix and it may just click at some point. I think the stereo mix/mastering is just dire. The hi-res stereo on the blu has some nice headroom for sure but the actual music is severely compressed and it impacts on the music. It's a shame that most of the album was recorded live in-room but then it has none of that sound left after mastering. Springfield has a great build-up but sounds all one volume so ends up sounding very flat. The 5.1 sounds better in that regard, makes it sound more alive.

I'm curious about the bonus CD with the demo/live room recordings - are they more dynamic than the album (stereo mix)?

I just gave The Optimist [BD~A] a second listen and agree with Simon_LDT that it is severely compressed on some tracks. And some of it is startlingly audiophile. Overall, I give it a 7.5. The 5.1 mix is quite excellent but why introduce compression? I think our systems can handle the transients full throttle without it. Seriously.

Initial listen through at moderate volume. Mix sounds good. Not sure the content is as much to my liking as the last couple of Anathema efforts.
Distant Satellites really resonates with me. We'll see if this one is a grower. It is nice and pleasant enough. Glad I have it! (y)

Back