The Police in Surround???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

privateuniverse

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
In a new interview in Billboard, Andy Summers talks about forthcoming plans regarding the 40th anniversary of The Police's debut LP:

This year actually marks the 40th anniversary of the group's formation, but the big plans are afoot for next year's 40th for the Police's debut album. "I think it's gonna be a huge repackaging and selling of everything next year," Summers says.

No other info given on what the "repackaging" will entail. But man, would I love to see those five LPs get Tears For Fears style boxes or XTC style blu-rays. There's lots of video of the band in the vaults, lots of concerts recorded......and of course, it would be so wonderful to hear those albums in surround.

Are the differences important? Which mixes would be considered superior?

It really depends on the song and the listener's preference.
The DVD has a few upmixes of some studio master tracks, while the SACD has some discrete mixes of some alternate versions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the mixes are the same as on the SACD (I could be mistaken).

There are difference between the DTS CD and the SACD. It's been a long time since I listened to either so I can't tell you what the specific differences are, but I do remember comparing the two and finding that they weren't exactly the same.

EDIT: One thing that stands out in my memory is the hi-hat that opens "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic." It was tough to tell if the two discs had different takes or if one was just drenched in delay & reverb. Anyway, that's one specific difference that I remember.

Are the differences important? Which mixes would be considered superior?

The original version of their hit song "Da do da da " is on the DVD in DTS DD with the video. (y)

Both the DTS CD and SACD have the lacklustre version .

I would like to see this re issued as well, perhaps on bluray . And I love the video of "Don't Stand So Close To Me " with the dts track of course , anybody here that has been or is a Teacher would surely know . :confused:

The original version of their hit song "Da do da da " is on the DVD in DTS DD with the video. (y)

Both the DTS CD and SACD have the lacklustre version .

The initial project was to record fresh new versions for the compilation. Only two tracks were finished: Don't Stand So Close To Me (which was issued as a single and included on the album) and De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da (which remained unreleased until the DTS CD and SACD came out. The band broke up because Gordon and Stewart were fighting constantly and erasing each other's parts.

The initial project was to record fresh new versions for the compilation. Only two tracks were finished: Don't Stand So Close To Me (which was issued as a single and included on the album) and De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da (which remained unreleased until the DTS CD and SACD came out. The band broke up because Gordon and Stewart were fighting constantly and erasing each other's parts.

Oh and one other vid on the dvd has Studio Morin on it , Simon . I actually now feel like a moron for.....gulp , selling it a few years back.

And yeah, I've read about the in fighting they had with one another.

Artist's Temperamental tantrums no doubt. :ugham:

There are difference between the DTS CD and the SACD. It's been a long time since I listened to either so I can't tell you what the specific differences are, but I do remember comparing the two and finding that they weren't exactly the same.

EDIT: One thing that stands out in my memory is the hi-hat that opens "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic." It was tough to tell if the two discs had different takes or if one was just drenched in delay & reverb. Anyway, that's one specific difference that I remember.

As far as I know, all surround versions of the Police's music are the same. ELTSDIM in surround is from a different take than the stereo version (at least the drum track). They must have lost the masters for that track or someone spaced out during the mixing. It sounds like Stuarts "guide drumming" take without all of the studio sweetening and overdubs

There are differences between the DTS-CD, SACD and DVD - see this thread: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ERY-BREATH-YOU-TAKE-(THE-CLASSICS)-SACD/page2 and Adam's (fredblue) post there shows track numbers.

Also discussion on sonics.

Being a big Police fan I have the DTS-CD, SACD and DVDV and when I ripped my DVD to MKV to whack on my server I used the SACD audio instead of the DTS. (I can't recall specific audio difference now but I did a comparison including DYnamic Range and swapped out about half the tracks). Being retired it was probably more about 'doing' than 'hearing' though :)

Back