Seven years on. Still think brick and mortar retailers are going to be around long?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndiamone

600 Club - QQ All-Star
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?14793

Everytime you turn around anymore some long in the tooth retailer is either closing most or all of their stores and more and more people are shopping online.

The few that are left I have noticed - whatever passes for their current stock is all delivered by Fulfillment by Amazon or UPS or FedEx since regular companies warehouses and logistics centers can't compete - and all those have been doing it forever.

I read online that several JCPenney, Macy's Sears/Kmart and everybody else who is going belly up or close to it is selling all their warehouses - and peoples' job contracts - to one of the big global logistics companies like that.

Several of my friends and relatives have reported that while everything else stays the same - one day their check says Macy's or Sears etc and the next day it says Amazon or Fedex etc. and they get new unicforms. I told everybody to save em for 10 or 20 years and sell em on eBay for a mint as reminders of a bygone era.

So my 2010 prediction is coming true - eventually there will be only 4 kinds of businesses - fulfillment centers, shipping and receiving centers medical/fire/safety personnel and trash removal.

Everybody else will be telecommuting and not allowed on the roads due to needing to keep everything clear for the above 4 types of personnel and their vehicles.

I imagine clones of Chicago's Merchandise Mart being set up all over the world for hundreds of miles in any direction and ``going outside'' becoming a thing of the past except for those four kinds of people - who - while necessary for modern societal operations - will be treated like the underbelly of society just like now only worse.

Interesting that you should mention it cause we usually shop on JC Penney online and my wife told me that this week the online shop was down...

Either that or they blocked España!

Back