Barenboim Beethoven Cycle DVD-Audio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ubertrout

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I thought this might interest some people...an eBay user (jazzjukebox, possibly someone here too) is selling a lot of DVD-Audios, including the entire cycle of Beethoven Symphonies with Daniel Barenboim conducting that Berlin Staatskapelle. This set isn't talked about enough but it's one of the best modern Beethoven cycles around, and the DVD-A version is a pain to collect. Here's the auction, it closes in a few hours: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beethoven-S...-6-DVD-Audio-Discs-5-0-Surround-/172583759635

I thought this might interest some people...an eBay user (jazzjukebox, possibly someone here too) is selling a lot of DVD-Audios, including the entire cycle of Beethoven Symphonies with Daniel Barenboim conducting that Berlin Staatskapelle. This set isn't talked about enough but it's one of the best modern Beethoven cycles around, and the DVD-A version is a pain to collect. Here's the auction, it closes in a few hours: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beethoven-S...-6-DVD-Audio-Discs-5-0-Surround-/172583759635

thanks for the heads up...but ...condition ..."Good"? hmmm

I mean, it depends if you care about the condition of the cases? In my experience "good" means regular scuffing an wear to the cases, printed materials and discs essentially blemish-free. In other words, looks fine, plays fine, but certainly not new.

I have no problem buying music in condition in much worse shape than that as long as it plays - my favorite buy ever was from a storage auction dealer, where I purchased 600 SACDs for $400 in condition where "acceptable" would be charitable. However, 9 out of 10 played fine and it would have cost me $10,000 new (at least). I also tend to pick up classical SACDs I might not buy new from library surplus, typically paying $4 for a disc in acceptable condition but plays fine.

I know some people like their stuff in heirloom condition, and I totally respect that - and if you pay for something advertised as new it should be pristine. But for myself it's a minor consideration - and even in terms of resale considerations, in my experience as long as it plays fine without major scratches on the disc you can get essentially the same price as you can get for the disc new.

Thank you for the 'heads up' on this Uber. I was looking for it and although the cases are in 'good' condition the seller states the discs are excellent. I ended up purchasing them for $30 with free shipping. Appreciate you letting us know about it!

Glad to help! I figured there might not be multiple bids, and had to remind myself that I didn't need another copy...

I own those Barenboim DVD~As, and yes, they are excellent, but the ONLY way I'll ever invest again in another Beethoven Symphony set is IF Beethoven, himself, is reincarnated with his hearing INTACT and conducts them himself! And that goes for Mahler, too!

I did invest in this recent BD~V set of Beethoven symphonies and was thrilled by the visuals and sonics [superb] but it is somewhat of a mixed bag performance wise (but am still satisfied with the purchase]. BTW, I purchased it for $25 delivered, brand new from AmazonUS: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Beethoven-The-Symphonies-Blu-ray/167878/#Review

I own those Barenboim DVD~As, and yes, they are excellent, but the ONLY way I'll ever invest again in another Beethoven Symphony set is IF Beethoven, himself, is reincarnated with his hearing INTACT and conducts them himself! And that goes for Mahler, too!

I did invest in this recent BD~V set of Beethoven symphonies and was thrilled by the visuals and sonics [superb] but it is somewhat of a mixed bag performance wise (but am still satisfied with the purchase]. BTW, I purchased it for $25 delivered, brand new from AmazonUS: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Beethoven-The-Symphonies-Blu-ray/167878/#Review

I got that cycle too...I saw it for $30 at Prex and decided the price was too low to pass up, and then Amazon dropped the price to $25. I already have the Jansons blu-ray set as well.

I'm always open to more Beethoven and Mahler and Bruckner and Sibelius, provided it's rewarding and interesting. What I'm not interested in is another regional European orchestra recording their live performances with a middling interpreter and putting them out. In an era of an incredible array of classical concerts from the major orchestra available for streaming, I'm not sure why I'd bother.

That's frankly part of the appeal of the Barenboim cycle - a major interpreter (like him or not - I heard him lead the Chicago Symphony in one of my favorite performances of the Beethoven 7th ever, to which the entire orchestra roared to its feet when it was done, so I'm a fan), with a solid orchestra, recorded in studio conditions, not a live recording with a patch session. In the early days of digital surround many of the majors recorded a cycle - Barenboim for Teldec/Warner, Abbado for Deutsche Grammophon (which was a surprising failure, something even Abbado recognized - he preferred his recordings on video from Rome), and Van Zweden's sleeper of a cycle, one of the first commercially released DSD recordings. Barenboim's came out clearly on top, until being challenged by a second wave that included Haitink and Vanska.

I got that cycle too...I saw it for $30 at Prex and decided the price was too low to pass up, and then Amazon dropped the price to $25. I already have the Jansons blu-ray set as well.

I'm always open to more Beethoven and Mahler and Bruckner and Sibelius, provided it's rewarding and interesting. What I'm not interested in is another regional European orchestra recording their live performances with a middling interpreter and putting them out. In an era of an incredible array of classical concerts from the major orchestra available for streaming, I'm not sure why I'd bother.

That's frankly part of the appeal of the Barenboim cycle - a major interpreter (like him or not - I heard him lead the Chicago Symphony in one of my favorite performances of the Beethoven 7th ever, to which the entire orchestra roared to its feet when it was done, so I'm a fan), with a solid orchestra, recorded in studio conditions, not a live recording with a patch session. In the early days of digital surround many of the majors recorded a cycle - Barenboim for Teldec/Warner, Abbado for Deutsche Grammophon (which was a surprising failure, something even Abbado recognized - he preferred his recordings on video from Rome), and Van Zweden's sleeper of a cycle, one of the first commercially released DSD recordings. Barenboim's came out clearly on top, until being challenged by a second wave that included Haitink and Vanska.

I also couldn't pass this one up either. All 9 symphonies on a single 'long playing' BD~A (albeit, superb sounding stereo*]: https://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-9-...keywords=Von+Karajan:+Beethoven+blu+ray+audio $20, delivered. brand new! If you recall, when they were trying to set the RBCD standards I believe it was one of the SONY big wigs who, while calculating the playing time of the compact disc, insisted that Beethoven's 9th be able to fit on a single RBCD. And now we can fit Solti's entire RING cycle and all of Mr. B's symphonies on a single 5" BD~A disc (with room left to spare].

I can only imagine the density of hi res audio they could fit on a UHD 4K BD~A:yikes Quite possibly ALL the Living Stereo and Mercury Living Presence discs on a few 4K BD~As! Wouldn't THAT be special....but HIGHLY improbable!

[* I do believe von Karajan's entire DGG Beethoven Symphony cycle was originally recorded in Surround but the few I do have in surround contain rear hall ambience, only]

It's more like EUR 85 shipped to the US. I understand it's a nice package and all, but I already have something like ten cycles of these symphonies in surround. I'm good.

I believe Karajan's 1977 cycle was recorded for Quad, but I thought only the Ninth from that cycle has been released in surround in any format.

I did a check at HRAudio and you're correct. Only von Karajan's Ninth was released in surround on SACD (which I have and it WAS dirt cheap) but I do believe the entire cycle was recorded in surround but never released along with a slew of other DGG releases. The remaining 8 symphonies were released only as Stereo SACDs.

I did a check at HRAudio and you're correct. Only von Karajan's Ninth was released in surround on SACD (which I have and it WAS dirt cheap) but I do believe the entire cycle was recorded in surround but never released along with a slew of other DGG releases. The remaining 8 symphonies were released only as Stereo SACDs.
The entire '63 cycle was released as stereo SACDs and then on blu-ray audio. From the '77 cycle the 9th was released as a surround SACD, the rest has only been released on CD (barring any Japanese stereo SACDs).

The entire '63 cycle was released as stereo SACDs and then on blu-ray audio. From the '77 cycle the 9th was released as a surround SACD, the rest has only been released on CD (barring any Japanese stereo SACDs).

Thanks for the clarification. Does get a bit confusing. The '63 von Karajan BD~A 2.0 does sound magnificent. If one wants faux surround, apply DSP but the direct [unadulterated] mode on my pre/pro sounds just fine! A very dynamic recording.

I have to say that I did pick up all of the Barenboim Beethoven - Berliner Staatskapelle DVD Audios and have really enjoyed them! They came out early in the traditional CD case then then later in the small hinge DVD Audio cases.

Back