HiRez Poll Hackett, Steve - THE NIGHT SIREN [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Steve Hackett - THE NIGHT SIREN

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2017 release from Steve Hackett entitled "The Night Siren".
The Blu-Ray contains a 5.1 surround mix and a bonus documentary entitled "Somewhere in Darkest Teddington - The Recording of The Night Siren".

(n) :) (y)

814ZslOA8HL._SL1500_.jpg

710Pjte-mQL._SL1200_.jpg

81tVZXypMJL._SL1500_.jpg

81F3%2B1ZVe2L._SL1500_.jpg

819u%2By6LyjL._SL1500_.jpg

It's a 8 from me!

I love S.H. and his way to make great music! This is one more of such albums!

But the 5.1 mix is rather simple with most (all?) instruments in the rear speakers and in the front with the vocals...
Like a concert feeling.
But for me still better than a stereo mix!

Would like to borrow the stems and make a proper 5.1 mix;)

I gave a 8...
Meanwhile it now have grown to a 9!.... towards a 10!

The first listen gave me the impression the rears only had some ambience, but now I've noticed fine details.
And as always SH getting better when you learn all the nice riff’s, changes in rhythm and so on!:sun

The Four Earred Wonder turned me onto this release and I am thankful. I voted 10. I look at the whole package when I vote and here are my notes. Two discs, RBCD and Blu Ray 5.1 for $18.09 from Amazon, screaming great deal. Clean, easy to use digipack, great liner notes with lyrics. The CD plays great in car and must not have very much compression as I can play louder than others. The performance was what I was worried about as I am just a little burned out on soft/prog rock. The performance is super great, easy to listen to, 3 or 4 different vocalists keep it interesting and the different musicians, (20) keep each track fresh. The easy to use menu on the Blu Ray screen is interesting and different on each track. I have listened to 4 times in 4 days and that is a lot for me, for one release. This is the kind of release that we all want, packaged, done well, good price with a musician that understands recording and 5.1.
Sonics: I still give it a 10. I am fortunate enough to have a respectable machine and I did not incur the bass problems that others mentioned. It is not a gimmicky release, there are swirling moments though, all 5.1 speakers are active in a discrete fashion. The sonic quality is clear and has breath of air running through speakers with no muddle in the back ground. As with most recordings the listening volume is best at 60-70db.
The item that just made this a no brainier for me was the mini doc of the making of, called "Somewhere In Darkest Teddington" It is amazing how this disc was recorded, how it was mixed, how the musicians came together, etc. Steve Hackett and his team really proved to me the expert knowledge they have in recording music in the modern day. There is a lengthy discussion in the video of mixing this release to 5.1 and also Steve and Mr. Dodd, I forget his first name, talk about the absolute importance of bass management on any recording. It appears that Mr. Dodd is the go to guy for tweaking bass management even referring in the video that Steven Wilson goes to Mr. Dodd for bass management support.
I have many discs/releases come to me weekly, and it makes me so happy when every once in awhile new music will come my way that really grabs me. It has to be the whole package and The Night Siren delivers.

The Four Earred Wonder turned me onto this release and I am thankful. I voted 10. I look at the whole package when I vote and here are my notes. Two discs, RBCD and Blu Ray 5.1 for $18.09 from Amazon, screaming great deal. Clean, easy to use digipack, great liner notes with lyrics. The CD plays great in car and must not have very much compression as I can play louder than others. The performance was what I was worried about as I am just a little burned out on soft/prog rock. The performance is super great, easy to listen to, 3 or 4 different vocalists keep it interesting and the different musicians, (20) keep each track fresh. The easy to use menu on the Blu Ray screen is interesting and different on each track. I have listened to 4 times in 4 days and that is a lot for me, for one release. This is the kind of release that we all want, packaged, done well, good price with a musician that understands recording and 5.1.
Sonics: I still give it a 10. I am fortunate enough to have a respectable machine and I did not incur the bass problems that others mentioned. It is not a gimmicky release, there are swirling moments though, all 5.1 speakers are active in a discrete fashion. The sonic quality is clear and has breath of air running through speakers with no muddle in the back ground. As with most recordings the listening volume is best at 60-70db.
The item that just made this a no brainier for me was the mini doc of the making of, called "Somewhere In Darkest Teddington" It is amazing how this disc was recorded, how it was mixed, how the musicians came together, etc. Steve Hackett and his team really proved to me the expert knowledge they have in recording music in the modern day. There is a lengthy discussion in the video of mixing this release to 5.1 and also Steve and Mr. Dodd, I forget his first name, talk about the absolute importance of bass management on any recording. It appears that Mr. Dodd is the go to guy for tweaking bass management even referring in the video that Steven Wilson goes to Mr. Dodd for bass management support.
I have many discs/releases come to me weekly, and it makes me so happy when every once in awhile new music will come my way that really grabs me. It has to be the whole package and The Night Siren delivers.

Bumping this for a great post and 5.1 album. If anyone was turned off by the last two Hackett mixes, it is understable but don't let them cloud this release! Discrete mix and excellent music. I don't hear the bass problems others have mentioned.

I admit, I didn't give this one much of a chance. When I received it, I only listened to the very first song - which I didn't necessarily like. I thought it sounded a bit congested and anyway, then left for South America.

I've since listened to all the tunes, and I have to say I really enjoy this one a lot. I still feel first song sounds congested, but all others sound great! I voted a 9.

Great release, some real nice songs and fidelity is good. :)

I admit, I didn't give this one much of a chance. When I received it, I only listened to the very first song - which I didn't necessarily like. I thought it sounded a bit congested and anyway, then left for South America.

I've since listened to all the tunes, and I have to say I really enjoy this one a lot. I still feel first song sounds congested, but all others sound great! I voted a 9.

Nine too here. ... I fully understand how this may be off the radar by the previous two unimpressive releases.

I feel the same about the first 2 songs, muddy/congested, both in terms of mix and the songs themselves. After that, I love the rest of the tracks, and I agree that the surround mix on this one is so much better than Wolflight. An 8 from me.

Am looking forward to seeing Steve Hackett and his great band in London in a couple of weeks time :)

Got this as a rip from a friend initially... listened to a couple minutes of the first song, then went on to something else (it seems most people don't get a good impression from the beginning of the first song)... it sat on my desktop for about a month before I gave it a proper listen. Wow! Excellent songs throughout; each song is like a mini-cinematic experience; there are varied passages of mellowness integrated with bombastic passages of progressive rock with EXCELLENT guitar solos throughout and all kinds of instruments from all over the world (orchestra, spanish guitar, didgeridoo, sitar, etc). The fidelity at first sounded kind of "dull" or something, but it actually just has a very "big" sound, as if the music is being played in some kind of ancient hall of kings (it sounds like there's an army of musicians on every song, as well!) The surround mix is very good, IMO. There isn't constant activity in the rears, but there are plenty of discrete moments and a few "cheesy" surround tricks/panning (which I love). A REALLY nice surprise (and so good that I bought the CD/BD-A combo)... and it's under $20 (I wish every album was released as a CD/BD-A combo with a surround mix for under $20... well, maybe not... I'd be broke). A strong 9 from me. Oh, and I think the first song is great... reminds me a bit of "Kashmir".

Ultimately going with 9. Musically, this is middle-of-the-pack for me, Steve Hackett-wise.
Sonically, it can be great and can be a bit muddy too. Given the gorgeous studios they recorded and mixed in, what was the problem?
I love that this is a bluray and that is has the extra documentary.
Packaged with a CD for under $14. Quite a deal.
Solid album, though a bit long.

Having seen Steve in concert recently, I thought I would give my take on this release.
I've had it since It's release and it didn't do anything for me then.
But over the last year, I have raised my rears and that is making this far more acceptable.
I agree with previous reviews, there is a problem with the clarity on some of the tracks and the mix could be a lot better.
Rogers mixing skills take a bit of getting used to but it's not a disaster.
And I've played this album through enough times to appreciate it more now.

So based on my updated interpretation this warrants an 8

Nice sound but nearly all double stereo on fronts and rears. Some discrete parts here and there.

Last edited:
Back