SIRE / PASSPORT QS MAYBE'S

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
As reported in MAY 75 via Sansui 's 4ch Scene , Sire and Passport were going "Single Inventory ".

They of course mention the 2 Passport Quads By Larry Fast (Synergy) and Fireballet .

But what I found interesting was that Sire's stable of artists were being mentioned . Interesting to note that I did manage to track down copies of the Chiliwack disc and The Turtles and Fleetwood Mac discs all released in 75/76 approx .
There was something there on QS playback but inconclusive in my opinion .

Both the Mac and Turtles discs were compilations , the Mac was the " Vintage Years "titled .

Worth noting that one disc was confirmed by the band itself as being Quad mixed . Climax Blues Band -Stamp Album , but was it encoded ? It certainly did not sound very impressive in QS I thought anyways .

Truthfully I thought the "Chiliwack " disc sounded not bad but like all the Sire discs ...none were indicated as quad .

So it's still a bit of a mystery , did they follow through or not ?

Anyways the next post has the article which has reference to Sire's plans (and Passport 's)

-always sleuthing,
fizzywiggs .:rolleyes:

SANSUI'S 4CH SCENE. MAY 75

20170328_114720.jpg20170328_114505.jpg20170328_114557.jpg

As reported in MAY 75 via Sansui 's 4ch Scene , Sire and Passport were going "Single Inventory ".

They of course mention the 2 Passport Quads By Larry Fast (Synergy) and Fireballet .

But what I found interesting was that Sire's stable of artists were being mentioned . Interesting to note that I did manage to track down copies of the Chiliwack disc and The Turtles and Fleetwood Mac discs all released in 75/76 approx .
There was something there on QS playback but inconclusive in my opinion .

Both the Mac and Turtles discs were compilations , the Mac was the " Vintage Years "titled .

Worth noting that one disc was confirmed by the band itself as being Quad mixed . Climax Blues Band -Stamp Album , but was it encoded ? It certainly did not sound very impressive in QS I thought anyways .

Truthfully I thought the "Chiliwack " disc sounded not bad but like all the Sire discs ...none were indicated as quad .

So it's still a bit of a mystery , did they follow through or not ?

Anyways the next post has the article which has reference to Sire's plans (and Passport 's)

-always sleuthing,
fizzywiggs .:rolleyes:

i believe it has been confirmed that the climax blues band album isn't quad. doesn't mean it wasn't mixed though, just never released.

The Climax Blues Band -Stamp Album re Quad mix ;

-info as supplied by the band in this liner notes from Rockpalast . I have posted this prior , and as it states the band is uncertain whether or not it was encoded .
There are a couple QQ members who think it is though. (via SM listening test I think ).

20170329_183946.jpg20170329_184225.jpg20170329_184238.jpg

It's interesting to note that one common denominator in the Quad encoding is that the Studio involved with encoding QS discs such as Synergy , and Gloria Gaynor -Experience were Quad Encoded there.

That would be "Media Sound " in New York .and the Gaynor disc was secretly encoded .

Now I see Renaissance -Turn Of The Cards was finished there as well . (Curious that )

20170329_183255.jpg20170329_183206.jpg20170329_183233.jpg

not wishing to rain on anyone's parade but this is just digging up a subject that was dealt with quite some time ago. The lp's were tested for any evidence of phase encoding on all of the suspect albums, and none were found to have any, hence the additional notes on Mark's lists

not wishing to rain on anyone's parade but this is just digging up a subject that was dealt with quite some time ago. The lp's were tested for any evidence of phase encoding on all of the suspect albums, and none were found to have any, hence the additional notes on Mark's lists

Ok it was dealt with ? Please if you can post links to what has been concluded and to which particular discs that might be helpful to this thread .

Also need to know how they were tested to conclude all suspect discs were not encoded .

Now in no ways do I believe your post to be incorrect , but links to that conclusion and of which discs would be most helpful . :D

I know one disc , Climax Blues as reported has some ambiguity attached . I personally don't think it is but people using the Surround Master said it is .

So far I haven't made up my mind that they are all stereo only but only because Passport and Sire( and MGM) did release some "confirmed encoded " discs by QQ members .

Two of the Sire discs I examined to see if they might be QS encoded.

Renaissance -Shaherazade and Chilliwack self titled , both 75 issues .

QS encoded ? Inconclusive .

20170329_183421.jpg20170329_183432.jpg20170329_183650.jpg20170329_183617.jpg

Ok it was dealt with ? Please if you can post links to what has been concluded and to which particular discs that might be helpful to this thread .

Also need to know how they were tested to conclude all suspect discs were not encoded .

Now in no ways do I believe your post to be incorrect , but links to that conclusion and of which discs would be most helpful . :D

I know one disc , Climax Blues as reported has some ambiguity attached . I personally don't think it is but people using the Surround Master said it is .

So far I haven't made up my mind that they are all stereo only but only because Passport and Sire( and MGM) did release some "confirmed encoded " discs by QQ members .

there are times when you have to accept the word of those that have gone before. there are no links as the work was done by someone who was kicked off here, but is well known by all and runs a blog somewhere else.

he spent the time going through all of those releases that people said were QS, but with nothing to back it up apart from heresay, and came to the conclusion that none of them were released with any trace of any phase matrix encoding being present on the many versions of the albums that were tested.

it is for that reason that mark has stated that those albums were not known to have been publicly released in quad. mark is not the sort of guy who does things without fully looking into things, so may i suggest you accept his word that those albums are not QS.

Two of the Sire discs I examined to see if they might be QS encoded.

Renaissance -Shaherazade and Chilliwack self titled , both 75 issues .

QS encoded ? Inconclusive .

View attachment 28993View attachment 28994View attachment 28995View attachment 28996

may i say that this is strting to get just a little silly. i believe that postings like this should only be made once the album has been fully tested for any proof that it contains a QS matrix encoded track, otherwise it will just start all the silly chatter that went before and ended up being completely false.

it is for that reason that mark has stated that those albums were not known to have been publicly released in quad. mark is not the sort of guy who does things without fully looking into things, so may i suggest you accept his word that those albums are not QS.
Thanks for the nice words. My motivation to start the discography over 20 years ago was to set the record straight as far as we know at the time and if folk's are going to take my word for it I am going to do everything I can to verify. Their is a lot of knowledge in the quad community and the opinions listed as to if it is encoded or not are a common consensuses among quad collectors and not just my opinion. I have no stake in the game if a title is quad or not, i just don't want folks spending money on something that is not quad and identifying things that are that they did not know about.
As for the surround master being used to test for a quad matrix, my thoughts are since it was made to make stereo recordings sound good in surround it can't only be the source to determine if a recording is encoded.

As for the surround master being used to test for a quad matrix, my thoughts are since it was made to make stereo recordings sound good in surround it can't only be the source to determine if a recording is encoded.

wise words indeed

may i say that this is strting to get just a little silly. i believe that postings like this should only be made once the album has been fully tested for any proof that it contains a QS matrix encoded track, otherwise it will just start all the silly chatter that went before and ended up being completely false.

Silly ?

First and foremost no where do I state these discs are definitely encoded .

I thought it worthwhile to post what the 4ch Scene has reported and again no where do "they" state they are.but plans are in the works such as a mix in discrete likely .

If it's facts you insist upon that have been reported to dismiss the claims such as these of" quads not released" please provide a link , thankyou.

FWIW I have and would appreciate likewise , that's all one could expect , out of respect .

Again....these are discs which they "had plans to release " , I hope that's not so hard to accept ?

As far as encoding goes -inconclusive says it straight out .:sun

Silly ?

First and foremost no where do I state these discs are definitely encoded .
I thought it worthwhile to post what the 4ch Scene has reported and again no where do "they" state they are.but plans are in the works such as a mix in discrete likely .
If it's facts you insist upon that have been reported to dismiss the claims such as these of" quads not released" please provide a link , thankyou.
FWIW I have and would appreciate likewise , that's all one could expect , out of respect .
Again....these are discs which they "had plans to release " , I hope that's not so hard to accept ?
As far as encoding goes -inconclusive says it straight out .:sun

you mention that the lp's were examined. how?

worthwhile to post that you examined a stereo lp and the results were inconclusive. what is the point

i am sure that i have already mentioned who did the tests on the long thought of qs lps and that he is not here to answer your question. surely marls list is enough proof for anyone

as a reply to your last part, perhaps you should test pink floyds animals, which when played through my tate is horrible.

you mention that the lp's were examined. how?

worthwhile to post that you examined a stereo lp and the results were inconclusive. what is the point

i am sure that i have already mentioned who did the tests on the long thought of qs lps and that he is not here to answer your question. surely marls list is enough proof for anyone

as a reply to your last part, perhaps you should test pink floyds animals, which when played through my tate is horrible.

Hmmmm,

P F 'S ANIMALS has nothing to do with this thread , I tested those Sire discs anda couple others on their label years ago (decade or two or three).

Used my ever reliable QSD 2 .

I think interested QQ members are intelligent enough to come to their own conclusion .:D(y)

Hmmmm,

P F 'S ANIMALS has nothing to do with this thread , I tested those Sire discs anda couple others on their label years ago (decade or two or three).

Used my ever reliable QSD 2 .

I think interested QQ members are intelligent enough to come to their own conclusion .:D(y)

sense of humour lost here. i was warned about this.

Back