Remastered Classical SACDs from Warner Japan: Happiness, frustration, pauperism!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCrutchy

Hey guys,

I don't see a lot of talk about these, so I wanted to point them out. Warner Music Japan has several dozen remastered classical SACDs that have been released in the past couple of years, most notably, a series of 96/24 remasters called the Legendary Series, which were issued on Hybrid SACD from 2015 onwards, after they issued the Maria Callas remasters on SACD. Since I am relatively new to collecting classical, I am struggling to figure out which releases to get, but I do own the Klemperer St. Matthew's Passion, which I enjoy a lot. Notably, these Legendary Series remasters (which apparently, were done at Abbey Road) appear to be exclusive to Japan, at least physically. There are also several other of these WMJ Hybrid SACDs which are exclusive to Tower Records in Japan, as part of the Tower Records Definition Series.

Now, it seems that outside of Tower Records, the Hybrid SACD series may be ended, but more remasters are coming from WMJ as single-layer SACDs. The strange part is, not only are these not Hybrids, but they've already been released by Warner Classics in the West. These include two from Mstislav Rostropovich coming in April (which appear to already be available on remastered CD here and here), and not yet listed at WMJ are June 2017 releases of The Magic Flute, Don Giovanni and Carmen, which were released by Warner Classics on remastered CD in 2016 as part of the Legendary Opera Recordings series.

I expect that Warner (and before that, EMI) have been doing this West/Japan "format competition" thing for years, including when they released large batches of Japanese remastered SACDs in years past, but lack of information on these releases is frustrating, and not only limited to Japan. For example, I only know by looking at the back covers that the Western CDs are remastered, and I had no idea that Warner's Legendary Opera Series even existed until I saw the new SACDs pop up in Japan, and went looking for which recordings they were.

So, I'm of two minds about this business, because I like to have SACDs as an option, so I want the Japanese releases to prosper, but at the same time, the high prices, and relative lack of information in any language (let alone in English) is disappointing. Also, I don't like the inconsistency, where earlier releases were Hybrids with remasters exclusive to Japan, so far the new batch is single-layer SACDs with remasters that must have appeared already on redbook CD.

But I'm also really interested in getting the Giulini Don Giovanni remaster on SACD, even though it may not come in the fancy packaging.

I ordered the SACD of Don Giovanni and received it today. It comes in a standard plastic multi-disc case, and it has a thick booklet inside with text in Japanese, some black and white photos. and the libretto in Italian and side-by side Japanese translation. Unfortunately, no English translation is provided.

I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but I'll try to report back when I have if anyone's interested. I've never owned the opera before, though, so I don't have any other edition to compare it to.

Most probably an error in pricing, but if you're interested, Deep Discount is blowing out the Warner/Japan single layered Stereo SACD of Strauss Don Quixote [Rostropovitch/von Karajan] for under $13 http://www.deepdiscount.com/r-strauss-don-quixote-op-35/4943674256792?rel=nofollow

I have a copy and it does sound excellent.

Also, until tomorrow @ 12 Noon [central time] Deep Discount is offering a further 15% off with promo code BAYWATCH.

Free shipping over $25.

The two Fall 2017 additions to the Legendary Opera Series are coming to SACD from Warner Japan on February 7th, 2018:

R. Strauss: Der Rosenkavalier (Karajan/Philharmonia, 1956)

Wagner: Der fliegende Holländer (Klemperer/New Philharmonia, 1968)

Sadly, I haven't been able to listen to my copy of Don Giovanni yet. However, that's not going to stop me from pre-ordering Der Rosenkavalier, because Japanese editions take ages to drop in price (I believe there is a law requiring a six-month minimum for music), so I'd probably be paying the same price on release date, or months from now. However, I still wish they would resume Hybrid SACDs, as for some reason, these are always significantly cheaper in Japan than single-layered discs.

My guess is Warner Japan will continue this pattern for a while, but they do seem to be skipping any releases that were recorded digitally--and rightly so. Therefore, if Warner Classics decides to release any more remastered AAD/ADD titles in their Legendary Opera Series on CD in 2018, then they have a decent chance of ending up on SACD in Japan a few months later.

Back